I've come to accept our offensive scheme relies on Allen too much

Big Turk

11 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I didn't count 1 hot read pass all season on a blitz.

I couldn't quote you the statistic for the season but just from memory and what I've watched we seem to go for the block it all up and throw it deep approach.  Today they kept blitzing DB's off the edge and since we don't run and don't pass short we catch everything in front of them and then get tackled.  Since it's a DB they're blitzing they are much faster than our tackles and we don't get to throw deep.  Occasionally we get them but until we run the ball and play a more efficient mix with short passing we will live and die by the long ball.

• Like (+1) 2

Need to get beef up the OL. So many times I've seen guys right right past Spencer Brown and Ryan Bates untouched. It's wild. Saffold is not good in pass pro either. Josh would have to make first guy miss then have to make a highlight type play, when it should just be a routine pass play. Even Dawkins had a lot of these type plays. Upgrade the OL.

5 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Sorry Turk but I disagree too. Josh is 26 and we've already wasted 5 years farting around trying to find him an OL or running game. We dont have the luxury to see if Dorsey improves. Players can learn terminology in an off-season. Go out and hire Frank to run the offense.  Frazier has to go too.

The Bills can run the ball fine when they choose to do so. It's a schematic decision not to run the ball more than some limitation. It gets tiring with people thinking the Bills are going to be a pass heavy team but then also be the next 2000 Baltimore Ravens running the ball. 

It's just not realistic. Trust me, if the Bills decide to run the ball they can do it. Your complaint should be they choose not to do so too often if you want to make that complaint, not that they cannot do it. It's been proven false time and time again, so I'm not sure why we have to keep hearing this nonsense.

The bigger issue is the poor pass blocking. Allen is dodging a rusher far too often early in dropbacks.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Disagree 1

24 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

By the end of the season they were playing Josh the way they played Tyrod.  Blitz him to keep him in the pocket and since he isn't throwing hot or beating you with short throws you beat the hell out of him and sooner or later cause turnovers.

What is this based on?  The offense was pretty effective at times during that winning streak at the end of the season because Allen is nothing like Tyrod.  He was making big time throws and the Bills were scoring a lot of points by fits and starts.  It wasn't pretty but it was effective until we ran up against a team in the playoffs that had a lot more weapons then we had and a QB that was as elite as our QB and a defense that actually was coached to compliment their offense.

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The Bills can run the ball fine when they choose to do so. It's a schematic decision not to run the ball more than some limitation. It gets tiring with people thinking the Bills are going to be a pass heavy team but then also be the next 2000 Baltimore Ravens running the ball. 

It's just not realistic. Trust me, if the Bills decide to run the ball they can do it. Your complaint should be they choose not to do so too often if you want to make that complaint, not that they cannot do it. It's been proven false time and time again, so I'm not sure why we have to keep hearing this nonsense.

The bigger issue is the poor pass blocking. Allen is dodging a rusher far too often early in dropbacks.

Another issue is dropped passes and receivers that all to often are not making tough contested catches.  That 50 yard pass to Davis should have been caught.  It went right threw his hands. 

Just now, CincyBillsFan said:

Another issue is dropped passes and receivers that all to often are not making tough contested catches.  That 50 yard pass to Davis should have been caught.  It went right threw his hands. 

Yeah...the drops seem to come at the worst times too. Usually 3rd down plays 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Turk you aren’t wrong Beanes reliance on Allen making mediocre oline talent work so he can keep loading up on the dline has gone on for too long. Roger Saffold on a one year deal was his big oline move in the off season. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I disagree.  I've seen nothing from our O line and RB's that makes me confident we could run the ball effectively in the absence of Allen's lethal passing and running ability.  When we've run the ball well it's been because teams are selling out to stop Allen & Diggs.

And I agree with you that we need more balance.  But we don't have the offensive talent to achieve that balance.  So we get pass happy and rely on our elite QB and WR to make plays.  And for the most part they do and we win 14 games and a playoff game.  But in the end what we're doing on offense is not sustainable against elite teams because outside of Allen & Diggs we have average to below average talent on the offense.

3rd and 7 vs the Dolphins.   They know we are running the ball.  What did we do?  Tell me we can't run the ball.  Just a couple weeks earlier they actually commit to running and we have two running backs with 100 yards.  The RB's didn't do more because we just don't hand the ball off not because our OL can't block.

Part of the issue is that Allen also puts some of this weight on his own shoulders. It’s like him and Dorsey are just trying to do this all by themselves.

Both Dorsey and Allen have to be better at getting Allen to release the ball as soon as he hits the top of his drop. 

Would it kill them to put him behind center when we are throwing the ball every once in a while. 

I think we likely stay the course with Dorsey. But if Miami were to move on from McDaniels, I wouldn’t hesitate to pull the trigger at OC. 

1 minute ago, Maine-iac said:

3rd and 7 vs the Dolphins.   They know we are running the ball.  What did we do?  Tell me we can't run the ball.  Just a couple weeks earlier they actually commit to running and we have two running backs with 100 yards.  The RB's didn't do more because we just don't hand the ball off not because our OL can't block.

One play doesn't prove a point.  It was a great run by Motor on a poorly blocked play.  On our 2nd series today we ran the ball twice in a row and guess what?  We had a 3rd & 7 which we didn't convert.  Then on the first drive of the 3rd quarter we have a first & goal at the 8 and we run the ball and lose 3 yards.  So then it was 2nd & goal from the 11. That is the reality of our running game more often then not.

6 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Turk you aren’t wrong Beanes reliance on Allen making mediocre oline talent work so he can keep loading up on the dline has gone on for too long. Roger Saffold on a one year deal was his big oline move in the off season. 

If it doesn't end now we are looking at a rapid fall off in the Bills fortunes starting next year. You have identified the problem with this organization and I have to hope that McD and Bean are aware of it.  If they aren't and continue to load up the D at the expense of the O then our window is past.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I've been against drafting early OLine players but I am not anymore. It's how the league is headed...

WR and OLine early and I am OK with it.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

It's taken me a while but our scheme just basically relies on Allen to be a superhero too much. Basically if he is off, or the other team has a great scheme against him, we have a hard time consistently playing well on offense.

Sure we will get our plays because Allen is still Allen. But it's got to the point that we need to stop taking that for granted and get him some help. 

It's like when you have a great worker who can make up for 3 people being out by piling more work on him.

Sure...that works for a while but then you eventually burn that worker out and when something comes up that needs all his attention other areas start failing since he can't bail them out.

I guess what I am saying is we need more answers on offense that don't include Josh Allen being an alien, because our offense relies on that more than any other in the NFL.

Ya think?

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

One play doesn't prove a point.  It was a great run by Motor on a poorly blocked play.  On our 2nd series today we ran the ball twice in a row and guess what?  We had a 3rd & 7 which we didn't convert.  Then on the first drive of the 3rd quarter we have a first & goal at the 8 and we run the ball and lose 3 yards.  So then it was 2nd & goal from the 11. That is the reality of our running game more often then not.

The issue is it doesn't take much to get the Bills to go away from running the ball and turning it into the Josh Allen show.

Bills need to do a better job sticking with it even if it doesn't start out great.

16 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Balance?? 

9 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

If it doesn't end now we are looking at a rapid fall off in the Bills fortunes starting next year. You have identified the problem with this organization and I have to hope that McD and Bean are aware of it.  If they aren't and continue to load up the D at the expense of the O then our window is past.

We are slowly morphing into Aaron Rogers last few years with the Green Bay Packers and the model their front office used 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The issue is it doesn't take much to get the Bills to go away from running the ball and turning it into the Josh Allen show.

Bills need to do a better job sticking with it even if it doesn't start out great.

That's easier said then done when your defense allows a team to go up and down the field and gets out to 14 - 0 lead.  Also I'm not convinced that the Bills O line and RB's could execute a sustained running game.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.