Daquan Jones

Jordan Phillips

Shaq Lawson

1st round pick - Ed Oliver

1st round pick - Greg Rousseua

2nd round pick - AJ Epenesa

2nd round pick - Boogie Basham

3rd round pick - Harrison Phillips

We didn't even sniff Burrow today. Manhandled and pushed 5 yards down the field every run play. One of the worst performances by a defensive line I've ever seen. 

Edited by Process
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 19
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Not to say I’ve told you so. But I’ve been pounding this table for a year or two. Plus paying Von. We’ve had the most expensive defense for some time as well. 

But here we are with 23 UFA’s, no cap space, and a million holes. 

And it doesn’t stand alone. The RB position is similar.

But then walk into the season with Kumerow but cute with Hodgins.

Todays result was compounding roster decisions.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Yeah I said it in game thread but our ability to evaluate talent needs to be called into serious question. 

Beane bought a lot of goodwill by hitting on the Josh pick but his pro scouting and drafting have both been shaky at best all over the roster. For the number of high draft picks on defense to not turn up one single game changer is extremely concerning. Like, not every pick can be elite but that many swings to miss on every one? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Mango said:

Not to say I’ve told you so. But I’ve been pounding this table for a year or two. Plus paying Von. We’ve had the most expensive defense for some time as well. 

But here we are with 23 UFA’s, no cap space, and a million holes. 

And it doesn’t stand alone. The RB position is similar.

But then walk into the season with Kumerow but cute with Hodgins.

Todays result was compounding roster decisions.  

The massive cap and draft capital invested in the DL specifically and defense in general are yet to pay any discernible dividends in the post season. That’s any post season. It is ridiculous. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

The massive cap and draft capital invested in the DL specifically and defense in general are yet to pay any discernible dividends in the post season. That’s any post season. It is ridiculous. 

And it’s stunted growth just about everywhere else. 

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

They’ve completely missed on all the defensive lineman they added except Von. I’m still holding out hope for Greg Rousseau. 
As far as Ed Oliver..I’m done with him. Not the impact player the Bills hoped he would be 

Vons gonna be 34 and recovering from ACL while eating up massive cap space.  Yeah, he was good, but the reward didn't pay off the risk.

• Agree 2

29 minutes ago, Process said:

Trent Murphy

Star Lotulelei

Mario Addison

Quinton Jefferson

Vernon Butler

Von Miller

Tim Settle

Daquan Jones

Jordan Phillips

1st round pick - Ed Oliver

1st round pick - Greg Rousseua

2nd round pick - AJ Epenesa

2nd round pick - Boogie Basham

We didn't even sniff Burrow today. Manhandled and pushed 5 yards down the field every run play. One of the worst performances by a defensive line I've ever seen. 

Embarrassing, but even worse not really surprising

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

They’ve completely missed on all the defensive lineman they added except Von. I’m still holding out hope for Greg Rousseau. 
As far as Ed Oliver..I’m done with him. Not the impact player the Bills hoped he would be 

Ed Oliver has to be the closest to elite I’ve ever seen from a JAG. 

But he’s never taken over and dominated a game and it’s pretty obvious that he’s never going to. 

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Not sure I'm done with him, but he's not elite and should not be paid that way. He's a nice player who disappears a lot. Elite players don't disappear like he di today. 

11 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Rousseau was a good pick, and Jones was a good pickup. Miller was a brave gamble that was paying off until he got hurt. The rest play like backups. That's a lot of picks and money that could have gone into much better players. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, finn said:

Rousseau was a good pick, and Jones was a good pickup. Miller was a brave gamble that was paying off until he got hurt. The rest play like backups. That's a lot of picks and money that could have gone into much better players. 

The thing with Rousseau is that he has no bend and limited lateral agility. He is great at stacking and shedding and his exceptional length gives him great range to get to ball carriers. But he needs a great bend-the-edge DE like Von Miller opposite him to flush QBs to his side. He’ll get the occasional bull rush sack or open lane sack, but he’s limited and is going to disappear without a player on the field doing what Von can.

Oliver is a very good player. He should get his fifth year option picked up.* Him sticking around long term will probably depend on his contract demands. Keeping him long term might be tough. 

*edit: Oliver already had his 5th year option picked up last off-season. He will play on it next season unless he signs an extension. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Process said:

And to add insult to injury, it was against an O-line down 3 starters.

We had all our O-line starters and Josh was running for his life.  They were even getting pressure by rushing just 3.

• Agree 2

There were a lot of us who were of the same line of thinking over the last couple of seasons.  The level of priority the Bills have placed on defense just isn't in tune with the reality of how the game is played anymore.  

At this stage,  I feel like we're becoming the reincarnation of the 80s Broncos,  who wasted a decade of John Elway's career with defensive minded coach who didn't surround him with the talent or scheme that he needed. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.