Franchise in trouble- Josh Allen has regressed

RoscoeParrish

On 1/22/2023 at 6:27 PM, RoscoeParrish said:

We were dominated in all 3 phases today, but this season and franchise has always been about Josh Allen being an elite QB and taking us to the next level. 

It is safe to say he regressed this year and today was the nail in the coffin.

Sure you can blame the OC, but 10 points at home in a playoff game falls on the QBs shoulders in a MAJOR capacity. 

If this board voted on Cinci having 27 points before kickoff, most would have taken it. 

I am afraid Allen’s career will be an above average quarterback who shuffles between signs of greatness, signs of mediocrity, and signs of someone with zero offers out of high school. 

He is NOT even in the league of Mahomes and Burrow and today solidified that. 

He had as many boneheaded turnovers this year as his rookie season.  He led the league in fumbles and INTs.  He scored 10 points at home in a playoff game when he was preseason MVP and this team was preseason Super Bowl favorites. 

He regressed. 

Probably already said but he is an MVP finalist this year, your standard might be a little absurd. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/22/2023 at 6:27 PM, RoscoeParrish said:

We were dominated in all 3 phases today, but this season and franchise has always been about Josh Allen being an elite QB and taking us to the next level. 

It is safe to say he regressed this year and today was the nail in the coffin.

Sure you can blame the OC, but 10 points at home in a playoff game falls on the QBs shoulders in a MAJOR capacity. 

If this board voted on Cinci having 27 points before kickoff, most would have taken it. 

I am afraid Allen’s career will be an above average quarterback who shuffles between signs of greatness, signs of mediocrity, and signs of someone with zero offers out of high school. 

He is NOT even in the league of Mahomes and Burrow and today solidified that. 

He had as many boneheaded turnovers this year as his rookie season.  He led the league in fumbles and INTs.  He scored 10 points at home in a playoff game when he was preseason MVP and this team was preseason Super Bowl favorites. 

He regressed. 

thank you for bringing TBD together in a way ive never seen. theres about 60 ppl who disagree. i stopped after 3 sentences. YOU regressed

I have noticed that Josh takes his time deciding to whom to throw.

Without access to the all-22 film I can't tell whether he's takes his time processing what the secondary is doing or whether it's his receivers are not getting open quickly or their routes are longer.

Any thoughts?

The NextGen website ranks John number 27 on release time at 2.89 secs. For comparison Joe Burrow is 2.55 and Mahomes is also 2.89, (likely the result of his scrambling)

15 hours ago, Trogdor said:

All of those problems can exist and he can still have regressed. Idk how many screenshots and videos you need to see of him just overlooking open underneath stuff to push it deep. That was a problem he had in college and one I thought he had kicked. 

screenshots lol, all you armchair qbs, and you just made my point for me. if their was any "regression" it was due to the multiple problems. fix some of those and the "regression" goes away and JA goes from good to dominant. This thread is irrelevant

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, billybob71 said:

screenshots lol, all you armchair qbs, and you just made my point for me. if their was any "regression" it was due to the multiple problems. fix some of those and the "regression" goes away and JA goes from good to dominant. This thread is irrelevant

So you need a top offensive line, multiple targets, and a different coaching staff for Josh to throw to the underneath and open receiver? If that's the case I don't ever want to hear about him being better than Mahomes or Burrow who will hit what's given. I'm not out on Allen, I really like him, but jesus the excuses when he plays poorly. 

• Vomit 2

51 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

So you need a top offensive line, multiple targets, and a different coaching staff for Josh to throw to the underneath and open receiver? If that's the case I don't ever want to hear about him being better than Mahomes or Burrow who will hit what's given. I'm not out on Allen, I really like him, but jesus the excuses when he plays poorly. 

No just an average line, 1 more decent receiver and a better OC. Mahomes and Burrow both have what you just stated why can't JA. And without him this year the Bills win 8 games at most. And so what he missed a few check downs here and there big deal, again without him Bills aren't even in a playoff game to begin with.

Edited by billybob71

20 hours ago, papazoid said:

Josh was the #2 ranked QB for QBR in 2022....he is ELITE, played thru nerve damage to his throwing arm and is the least of our problems.

Diggs is Elite

Dawkins and Knox are mediocre

after that, every single player on offense is below average. you'd never miss them.

we need a WR1a , and 2 OL

I agree.  Personally I would add Morse to that list too.  Also need a slot Wr.  Shakir is just high hopes right now just like Mckenzie and Davis were this year

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

So who among the Bills RB's/WR's/TE's not named Diggs starts for KC or Cincinnati?  And without doubt the Bills had the worst O line among the divisional playoff participants.

It's not making excuses to point out the freaking obvious that the Bills have grossly under equipped their offense. 

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

So who among the Bills RB's/WR's/TE's not named Diggs starts for KC or Cincinnati?  And without doubt the Bills had the worst O line among the divisional playoff participants.

It's not making excuses to point out the freaking obvious that the Bills have grossly under equipped their offense. 

Knox,Morse and Dawkins start for Cincy. I don't see a single Bills offensive player except Diggs who starts for KC. 

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Put any qb in the league behind this line with our weapons not named diggs and have them go through 3 different OCs and one of the OCs being a rookie play caller and I would like to see ANYONE play better

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Knox,Morse and Dawkins start for Cincy. I don't see a single Bills offensive player except Diggs who starts for KC. 

I don't think knox starts over cinci TE tbh

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I asked among TE/WR/RB.  And IMO Knox would not start over the Bengals TE and he sure as hell wouldn't start over the Chiefs TE.  Maybe Dawkins would get the start on Cincy but I don't think Morse beats out the Bengal's center.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Billever76 said:

I don't think knox starts over cinci TE tbh

I don't see any basis for believing Hurst would start over Knox. Knox has more prouction in the passing game and is a way better blocker. He has as many touchdowns in the past two seasons as Hurst has for a career. 

5 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I asked among TE/WR/RB.  And IMO Knox would not start over the Bengals TE and he sure as hell wouldn't start over the Chiefs TE.  Maybe Dawkins would get the start on Cincy but I don't think Morse beats out the Bengal's center.

Knox is better than Hurst. I don't see any evidence to support the contrary view. It isn't based on blocking. Or receiving game production. Or big play ability. Or touchdowns.

Of course he doesn't start on KC, nobody was claiming that. Morse doesn't beat out Ted Karras? Come on that is ridiculous. 

Diggs, Knox, Dawkins and Morse all start for the Bengals. And I am not arguing Dawkins and Morse are great btw. It is just that Cincy's oline is still a weakness as well.

The strength of the Bengals offense is their three wide receivers. They have an elite #1 a true #1B and a #2 level guy in the slot. Even with the massive overhaul in the offseason their OL was not great (probably better than the Bills it just so happens that they are weaker at the spots the Bills two best lineman play - LT and C), Joe Mixon hasn't averaged more than 4.1 yards a carry in the last 4 seasons and Hurst is a decent starting tight end but no more than that.

7 hours ago, Billever76 said:

Put any qb in the league behind this line with our weapons not named diggs and have them go through 3 different OCs and one of the OCs being a rookie play caller and I would like to see ANYONE play better

Three? Josh has only had two OCs. Daboll and Dorsey. 

Edited by GunnerBill

On 1/22/2023 at 6:29 PM, QLBillsFan said:

This loss has very little to do with Josh Allen, But  everything to do with being out schemed and dominated on both sides of the line ! 

This!

Look at Tom Brady (you know, the goat!) this season with no run game and a bad O line...look familiar?  Look at Josh Allen last season when the line played so much better and in fact was so good that Beane kept a lot of those line players. Now, they regressed!

Josh was the leading rusher (again) in that game and without his yards the Buffalo RBs had only 11 carries for 38 yards! Total 19 rushes for 64 yards. Also, Josh was under heavy pass rush pressure all game long. 

Go back to last years playoff run where the O line played much better and the Bills actually had a run game, Josh was basically unstoppable. 

Buffalo needs to rebuild that O line above all else! JMHO

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.