Franchise in trouble- Josh Allen has regressed

RoscoeParrish

38 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Um, Burrow may have had a hobbled OL, but he had little pressure on him from our Defense.  (and I like Burrow).  Put Allen on that offense with those receivers, RB, and against a team that can't pressure you and he scores 55 against our pathetic sit-back D.  

You're greatly overestimating Allen. He's not better than Burrow. Especially not twice as good. 

3 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Funny take this.

They literally gave him no help and he still carried this team to 13-3. He had 1 weapon and no OL to protect him. It got so bad with his weapons they went to guys who were out of the NFL.

Nah sorry, the FO failed this team. Beane hasn’t drafted a player of note, in 4 drafts.

I don’t understand the one weapon take. Only one really elite weapon, sure. Not many teams have multiple of those, if even one. Knox is one of the top TEs in the league and Davis is pretty good, especially on the big stage. He may have a few too many drops, but I think the good definitely outweighs the bad. Between those three, someone is nearly always open. McKenzie and Shakir aren’t bad either, especially as 4th and 5th options. 

4 hours ago, SaulGoodman said:

I don’t understand the one weapon take. Only one really elite weapon, sure. Not many teams have multiple of those, if even one. Knox is one of the top TEs in the league and Davis is pretty good, especially on the big stage. He may have a few too many drops, but I think the good definitely outweighs the bad. Between those three, someone is nearly always open. McKenzie and Shakir aren’t bad either, especially as 4th and 5th options. 

Let's look at who's left in the 4 remaining games:

Cinci - Have 2 legit #1 receivers both elite weapons and a very very good #3. You could argue that Hayden Hurst is comparable to Knox. 
SF - Have an elite RB and and elite WR and another borderline elite WR. Would also argue Kittle is elite.
Eagles - Have 2 legit #1 receivers both elite weapons.  Also have an elite RB in Sanders and Goedert is very very good.

KC - they are probably the outlier, with Kelce being the only elite weapon. He is the best TE in football though, so that's something. And until last offseason they had 2 on offense.

So yeah, not many teams, except 3 of the 4 remaining teams and that's the take. Sure, there are teams in the NFL that have 1 and some have none but not the best teams and this Bills team is severely lacking elite talent and that's on both sides of the ball. 

You know what all these other teams have in common as well. They have elite players in the trenches. The Bills do not and again it comes down to drafting. Beane has not drafted an elite player besides Josh and he's done nothing to help him out.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

switch Burrow and Allen and the score would have been 55-3.  

Wow, that’s one of the most myopic takes I’ve ever seen.  Allen played badly today.  Period. We can talk about the reasons for it, and context, etc., but he played badly and Burrow was damn near flawless. Sorry, but those are just facts.

3 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Let's look at who's left in the 4 remaining games:

Cinci - Have 2 legit #1 receivers both elite weapons and a very very good #3. You could argue that Hayden Hurst is comparable to Knox. 
SF - Have an elite RB and and elite WR and another borderline elite WR. Would also argue Kittle is elite.
Eagles - Have 2 legit #1 receivers both elite weapons.  Also have an elite RB in Sanders and Goedert is very very good.

KC - they are probably the outlier, with Kelce being the only elite weapon. He is the best TE in football though, so that's something. And until last offseason they had 2 on offense.

So yeah, not many teams, except 3 of the 4 remaining teams and that's the take. Sure, there are teams in the NFL that have 1 and some have none but not the best teams and this Bills team is severely lacking elite talent and that's on both sides of the ball. 

You know what all these other teams have in common as well. They have elite players in the trenches. The Bills do not and again it comes down to drafting. Beane has not drafted an elite player besides Josh and he's done nothing to help him out.

Cincinnati has QB and two elite receivers on rookie contracts. That’s why they get to have that. They absolutely nailed two drafts in a row by ignoring conventional wisdom and building the skill positions before the lines. Yesterday they proved that OL doesn’t matter at all. Just load up on the fun stuff and get the ball out quick.

13 hours ago, goldenboy81 said:

Give him a oline and a creative coordinator, then get back to me

Yep. Give Allen the Chiefs OL and Andy Reid. Obviously the Bills won’t be able to acquire the services of Reid, but a close copy should be their game plan. Status quo will waste Josh Allen’s prodigious talent. 

Just now, FrenchConnection said:

Cincinnati has QB and two elite receivers on rookie contracts. That’s why they get to have that. They absolutely nailed two drafts in a row by ignoring conventional wisdom and building the skill positions before the lines. Yesterday they proved that OL doesn’t matter at all. Just load up on the fun stuff and get the ball out quick.

They still have the better elite options AND they went after OL in FA and then still drafted OL. They just prioritised Borrow by getting him weapons, via the draft and then protecting him, via FA. The Bills haven't done anything like that, besides getting Diggs. 

9 hours ago, cle23 said:

You're greatly overestimating Allen. He's not better than Burrow. Especially not twice as good. 

No, Allen’s not twice as good as Joe Burrow. I like what he can do better than Burrow, but others opinions will vary. It’s pretty close between Allen, Mahomes and Burrow although I’d put Burrow third in that group. Anyone who thinks one of those three is far ahead of the others is simply a fanboy. 

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, CDogg20 said:

Hes regressed because he’s running for his life back there. He’s sensing pressure before its there because we have NO ONE to block for him. This needs to be addressed like rocky…asap

This is such a lazy narrative that grinds my gears.

No O line will ever be "good" with a QB holding the ball for almost 4 secs.

Allen has no idea how to read a defense.  The dude will wait and wait until a guy has like 3 yards of separation.  The only time he gets a ball out quick is when the D forces him to with a blitz and he will just throw to his hot WR.

Teams have figured Allen out.  He can't anticipate which WR will be opened based upon the D they are playing on that specific play compared to the play we are running.  So teams just play Cover 2 vs Allen and he has no idea what to do.  So he holds and holds, doing crazy stuff in pocket waiting for a guy to go rouge and create 3 yards of separation.  

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

No, Allen’s not twice as good as Joe Burrow. I like what he can do better than Burrow, but others opinions will vary. It’s pretty close between Allen, Mahomes and Burrow although I’d put Burrow third in that group. Anyone who thinks one of those three is far ahead of the others is simply a fanboy. 

You said that given the same circumstances Allen would have put up 55 points and Burrow put up 27.  Do you truly believe that Allen is 28 points better? 

I think Allen and Mahomes probably have the highest ceiling with Burrow being very close behind them but Allen has by far the lowest floor because he turns the ball over a lot.

3 hours ago, mannc said:

Wow, that’s one of the most myopic takes I’ve ever seen.  Allen played badly today.  Period. We can talk about the reasons for it, and context, etc., but he played badly and Burrow was damn near flawless. Sorry, but those are just facts.

Your post is context free, and illogical in saying “why” Allen had a “bad game” (debatable) doesn't matter in comparing the QBs—of course it does.  Burrow was flawless, but he tons of time to throw (Allen didn’t), had a run game (Allen didn’t), and had great defensive play backing him (Allen didn’t).  Those are material differences. Allen on Bengals would have obliterated our D today. 

Just now, cle23 said:

You said that given the same circumstances Allen would have put up 55 points and Burrow put up 27.  Do you truly believe that Allen is 28 points better? 

I think Allen and Mahomes probably have the highest ceiling with Burrow being very close behind them but Allen has by far the lowest floor because he turns the ball over a lot.

You’ve confused me with someone else ; I said nothing about Allen putting up 55. Allen is asked to do quite a bit more than most QBs to cover up huge deficiencies on Offense. He had a couple more INTs than the others, mostly while fighting through a mid season elbow injury. He runs a lot more , so maybe a few more fumbles. It’s what you get with Allen but not a huge deal.

5 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Your post is context free, and illogical in saying “why” Allen had a “bad game” (debatable) doesn't matter in comparing the QBs—of course it does.  Burrow was flawless, but he tons of time to throw (Allen didn’t), had a run game (Allen didn’t), and had great defensive play backing him (Allen didn’t).  Those are material differences. Allen on Bengals would have obliterated our D today. 

Exactly. Burrow wasn’t asked to do too much - smart coaching- and executed it well. Mostly quick throws to the flat with a few longer throws mixed in. 

• Like (+1) 1

This is my opinion and it will upset some people but these are the facts: Josh does not take his job seriously. Here's why...

1. No diet plan. Has said he eats whatever he wants and his favorite is Bar Bill wings and beer. That's cool if you are a 40 year old poster on TBD but not cool if you are a world class athlete.

2. Does not work out. He said he doesn't lift weights with his upper body at all and said he is not a regular at the gym. That's fine if you don't want to get too bulky up top but that doesn't mean you don't work out at all. You can do band work, light weight, yoga, pilates, lots of ways to work your body without getting bulky.

3. Does not take advice from mentors. He has been told by Brady, Rodgers, pretty much every media person and fan that he needs to take care of his body and not take as many hits. Case Keenum said if he slid he would wear just his jock strap to a meeting and he that was one of the only times he slid this year.

4. Plays too much hero ball. This is a mix of him and the OC. It's arm arrogance as they say. Just because you can doesn't mean you should make some of these throws. Instead of taking the wide open RB in the flat, he will try and push the ball down the field even when nobody is open or he will hang on to the ball and scramble. This is not necessary when we are already winning or if it's early in the game. Just hit the RB for 5 yards and live to play another down. I think this is a mental thing and can be fixed. Josh was asked if he ever tried a sports psychologist or hypnotist and he said no.

5. Not focused. The year he made his big jump was the COVID year. He was in lockdown in socal with Jordan Palmer and trained every single day and had no distractions. This past off-season he was building his new house and traveling and shooting commercials and did not train in socal. If you check their social media then you can't imagine he was doing much of anything besides golfing and traveling.

People on this forum won't like this but there is a book by the greatest player ever at Josh's position and it's more or less a blueprint on how to do it. It's called the TB12 Method and it gives every detail of what he does to be successful. Josh does none of that stuff. He's talented so why bother right? Or does it show that he's just not willing to put in the work?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

On 1/23/2023 at 6:39 AM, FrenchConnection said:

It seemed to matter when they almost (should have) lost to Baltimore and Huntley, scoring 17 on offense in the process. 8 QB hits and 4 sacks. 

I think it’s fair to assume that the snow limited the pass rush in Buffalo. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.