Franchise in trouble- Josh Allen has regressed

RoscoeParrish

Just now, HalftimeAdjustment said:

True, however when you throw long balls the completion percentage goes down no matter how well the QB throws it. A well thrown shorter route was a better option there. And in most of their 3rd and short calls. Every time they get pressured on 3rd and short it is a long-ish pass. Too much high risk, high reward play. That is a scheme problem.

At that point the game was over.  Our only hope was to hit passes like that.  In fact this is how Allen drove us to 14 wins this season.  He hit on a much higher percentage of those kind of plays then would be expected. 

Just now, CincyBillsFan said:

At that point the game was over.  Our only hope was to hit passes like that.  In fact this is how Allen drove us to 14 wins this season.  He hit on a much higher percentage of those kind of plays then would be expected. 

He can be even higher than expected on shorter plays too, and we would have sustained more drives. But WR who catch better is a must.

Just now, dgrochester55 said:

No offensive line support, Receivers outside of Diggs underachieving, Defense putting us in a hole before the team could get started.   This is not all on Allen.    Allen needs to play less hero ball next year, but Buffalo also needs to give him some help.    

A bugbear is that the call to play less hero ball and take what the defense offers has been made pretty regularly, particularly since the bye, and nothing changed.

Need more high percentage short and intermediate passes, and I can't understand why Allen doesn't throw them especially as the offensive line is mediocre at best and he's always under pressure.  Perhaps he's always looking for the sort of rush he got from the KC game last year where his long ball was unstoppable.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

This loss has very little to do with Josh Allen, But  everything to do with being out schemed and dominated on both sides of the line ! 

This is 100% correct.  I agree JA may have "regressed" in terms of being our super-man, but switch Burrow and Allen and the score would have been 55-3.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Josh hasn't regressed. Dorsey is a rookie OC who struggled this year. The trenches on both sides is abysmal.  That's 100% on Sean. He determines what kind of player Beane selects.  Josh simply realizes he has to do even more than ever before (hero ball) to offset the other deficiencies. 

It really is this simple. With 1 elite WR and a bunch of mid RBs, WRs and TEs, Josh got everything he could out of this offense. With the same cast but elite OL, this team is unstoppable on O. D has a lot of issues, but that can be masked by putting up 35 points every game.

• Like (+1) 1

if anything regresses, it has been Bean's "magic" (recent early round picks without any impact, which one made any impact today?), and McD, who is letting coordinators have awful schemes game after game.  You'd think they would have taken a lesson after Miami, but this "well, we got the win who cares if it is ugly" nonsense finally got them.  

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

This is 100% correct.  I agree JA may have "regressed" in terms of being our super-man, but switch Burrow and Allen and the score would have been 55-3.  

Come on now. There's a pretty good argument for Burrow over Allen. Allen is great, but don't act like Burrow is a bum. Burrow had a hobbled center and was missing 3 other starting Olineman. He has better WRs for sure. But Allen is much more mistake prone.

15 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Come on now. There's a pretty good argument for Burrow over Allen. Allen is great, but don't act like Burrow is a bum. Burrow had a hobbled center and was missing 3 other starting Olineman. He has better WRs for sure. But Allen is much more mistake prone.

Um, Burrow may have had a hobbled OL, but he had little pressure on him from our Defense.  (and I like Burrow).  Put Allen on that offense with those receivers, RB, and against a team that can't pressure you and he scores 55 against our pathetic sit-back D.  

Just now, UKBillFan said:

A bugbear is that the call to play less hero ball and take what the defense offers has been made pretty regularly, particularly since the bye, and nothing changed.

True.  No creativity in this offense and seemingly little accountability.  Dorsey is a good guy but I am at least interviewing for fresh ideas. Kc/ cincy are leaps ahead offensively and afc east teams are ascending. I just think dorsey is so worried about being balanced in play calling but there was no creativity to actually pressure defenses. I did not see Allen changing or being held accountable by Dorsey , who seems more like a peer than coach.  We heard the same things for the past month. Bringing in Hines , Beasley, Smoke etc  was useless as they were rarely used. We have one useful tight end and I’m not sure why we carry a fullback who is never used. You won’t see creative things like KC’s snowglobe play called by Dorsey. 

Defensively , Frazier has repeatedly folded in the postseason and you can have all the d stats you want in the regular season, his d fails when it counts. 30 first downs allowed , starting out 14-0 at home AFTER JUST SEEING THIS TEAM a few weeks ago is inexcuseable. Sean is a very good HC , BUT HE NEEDS fresh ideas and input as teams like Cincy , KC, Miami, and the Jets are building.   If Mcd doesn’t keep growing , at some point the heat will fall on him.  

They did have a terrible year injury wise to key players. Miller , hyde, poyer, both dts, and of course the CB carousel was horrific as Tre never was himself and Elams  use was just puzzling!  Milano was supposedly playing thru a fibula injury according to cover one. The d line was  a massive disappointment sack wise and who knows if von even returns. I really expect  poyers Bills days are done as it looks to me as if he needs surgery in his left arm ( long head biceps tear?) and was unable to tackle today essentially playing with one arm.  Sadly tho , after all the resources spent we lack a premiere pass rusher for the future.  Groot is a good power rusher worth 7-8 sacks a year , but the Eagles had 4 guys with 10 sacks each! We are stuck with mediocre talent of epenesa and boogie.  

I would move on from Frazier but an issue will be then they will need more LBs as this 4-2-5 system has run its post season course imo.    Beane is facing a rough , but crtical offseason as Allens years are ticking by without sniffing a Super Bowl.   Both sides of the ball were exposed by the bengals who absolutely look at us as inferior.  Truthfully , right now we are.  I don’t want to hear our d was #2 statistically, because it has always failed in the playoffs. Last year it was 13 seconds and this year we barely got by Miami before being destroyed by cincy with a younger head coach. Time to bring in change to help the HC and optimize  Allens talents.   This season , despite 14-4 , is unfortunately a disappointment when you get blown out at home in the playoffs.  Beane has to bring change , you can’t go in as the SB fav , to get bounced in the divisional round again. 

I agree with the title of your thread Allen did regress this year.  But the rest of your comments don't agree with.  Bills were dominated today, but goes much deeper than Allen.  Actually was somewhat surprised too when I looked at the stats from today's game, Burrow was better, but not that much better.  Problems were elsewhere.

2 hours ago, RoscoeParrish said:

We were dominated in all 3 phases today, but this season and franchise has always been about Josh Allen being an elite QB and taking us to the next level. 

It is safe to say he regressed this year and today was the nail in the coffin.

Sure you can blame the OC, but 10 points at home in a playoff game falls on the QBs shoulders in a MAJOR capacity. 

If this board voted on Cinci having 27 points before kickoff, most would have taken it. 

I am afraid Allen’s career will be an above average quarterback who shuffles between signs of greatness, signs of mediocrity, and signs of someone with zero offers out of high school. 

He is NOT even in the league of Mahomes and Burrow and today solidified that. 

He had as many boneheaded turnovers this year as his rookie season.  He led the league in fumbles and INTs.  He scored 10 points at home in a playoff game when he was preseason MVP and this team was preseason Super Bowl favorites. 

He regressed. 

STOP TROLLING. Why isnt this thread locked?

• Disagree 1

3 hours ago, RoscoeParrish said:

We were dominated in all 3 phases today, but this season and franchise has always been about Josh Allen being an elite QB and taking us to the next level. 

It is safe to say he regressed this year and today was the nail in the coffin.

Sure you can blame the OC, but 10 points at home in a playoff game falls on the QBs shoulders in a MAJOR capacity. 

If this board voted on Cinci having 27 points before kickoff, most would have taken it. 

I am afraid Allen’s career will be an above average quarterback who shuffles between signs of greatness, signs of mediocrity, and signs of someone with zero offers out of high school. 

He is NOT even in the league of Mahomes and Burrow and today solidified that. 

He had as many boneheaded turnovers this year as his rookie season.  He led the league in fumbles and INTs.  He scored 10 points at home in a playoff game when he was preseason MVP and this team was preseason Super Bowl favorites. 

He regressed. 

Let me know how Burrow and Mahomes would do if they had a turnstyle O-line who couldn't even prevent a 3 man rush from getting to him.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.