Franchise in trouble- Josh Allen has regressed

RoscoeParrish

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Worst assessment I’ve read all year.  Sorry, just is.

This is the kind of armchair fan that literally has no idea what they are looking at. Every win/loss is the qb and that’s all. Burrow literally had guys wide open EVERYWHERE. The bills didn’t challenge him in the slightest, meanwhile, Allen had to work on every play, and make big time throws. It just wasn’t enough. Offensive line getting pushed back mixed with receivers not getting open killed this game.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

Called it in the off-season..said it was an absolute mistake to give dorsey the keys to the Ferrari when he had 0 driving experience......Defense is 🗑 and will always break in the playoffs..it's outdated..I mean this scheme had 1 claim to fame in the early 2000 bucs for 1 year 

Have to let our corners get in their face if you have no pass rush

why blitz if your corners are 10 yards off. It’s easy pitch and catch 

We didn’t challenge anyone defensively and played scared. 

Offensively I load up in the draft (and hope our coaches play our rookies before the playoffs). Oline continues to get whipped. Saffold was bad 

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, RoscoeParrish said:

Sweet.  13 wins.  Great job guys!  We were supposed to win the whole thing and he came up small when it mattered most. 

Joe Burrow. Patrick Mahomes 

What are you talking about ? Did you watch the game ? The Bengals with back ups protected Burrow the Bills did not protect Josh. It’s not that hard to comprehend… 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I'd argue Josh ignoring open receivers to force balls into coverage is a little to do with him. He's been doing it all year. It's definitely concerning. 

Some truth to what you’re saying. But most impactful today was how unprepared the Bills coaches had the team ready.Josh certainly can improve some aspects of his game.

Dont think its been mentioned in this thread, but Allen was officially pressured in nearly 50% of his dropbacks today..not 10% or 20% but 50%...that is PATHETIC pass protection.  How can he be expected to come off his first read and find an open receiver when hes having to evade the rush.  

He sounded frustrated in the post game press conference when asked a related question..and said the other team had some good players.

Does anyone really think Burrow or Mahommes would have been more successful behind that offensive line today??

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Brandon said:

The 'guy running the show' is either McDermott or Beane.  If you want to go there,  yeah,  I agree,  there's plenty of blame to go around, particularly in terms of their roster priorities. 

I've been watching this sh**show for a long damn time now.  It's frustrating,  because they make the same mistakes on offense over and over and over.   They bring in a QB,  give him one or two good supporting pieces,  slap bandaids on the rest and then expect the QB to hold the mess they've created together.   It never works.  Ever.  Then,  when it inevitably underperforms, they stand around wondering what the hell happened,  not understanding that they didn't properly invest in their offense. 

I have always thought that McDermott is actually superior to Beane on the flow chart.  That's not totally unusual for NFL teams; it would be pretty unheard of in the NHL, but that's a different culture.

But I have never read anything discussing this in definite terms.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RoscoeParrish said:

We were dominated in all 3 phases today, but this season and franchise has always been about Josh Allen being an elite QB and taking us to the next level. 

It is safe to say he regressed this year and today was the nail in the coffin.

Sure you can blame the OC, but 10 points at home in a playoff game falls on the QBs shoulders in a MAJOR capacity. 

If this board voted on Cinci having 27 points before kickoff, most would have taken it. 

I am afraid Allen’s career will be an above average quarterback who shuffles between signs of greatness, signs of mediocrity, and signs of someone with zero offers out of high school. 

He is NOT even in the league of Mahomes and Burrow and today solidified that. 

He had as many boneheaded turnovers this year as his rookie season.  He led the league in fumbles and INTs.  He scored 10 points at home in a playoff game when he was preseason MVP and this team was preseason Super Bowl favorites. 

He regressed. 

Allen didn't regress. The only reason we won 13games and advanced beyond the first playoff game was because of Allen with an assist from Diggs.

What you call regression is the expected outcome of an organization that has failed to surround Allen with even competent talent.  You look at other teams with elite QB's and they've moved heaven & earth to surround their generational signal callers with the best O-lines and skill players available.

I am more convinced then ever that if you gave Allen the weapons and coaching that Mahomes & Burrow have he would be a perennial SB QB.  And that isn't taking anything away from Mahomes & Burro who are both elite QB's. But IMO neither Mahomes or Burrow could do as well with Buffalo's offensive talent & coaching as Allen has.

• Thank you (+1) 1

We need an Oline and run game to take the pressure off Josh. Him and Diggs are the only two guys we have. Josh has to be Superman every play of the game to beat a good team. A solid run game will fix a lot of offensive issues. The Defense was never good. We just always scored more points then the other team. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, kota said:

playcalling has regressed.   keep calling bombs on 4th and 2

Maybe it has.  But that pass was on target and went right through the hands of Gabe Davis.

11 minutes ago, Rich Stadium Original said:

Dont think its been mentioned in this thread, but Allen was officially pressured in nearly 50% of his dropbacks today..not 10% or 20% but 50%...that is PATHETIC pass protection.  How can he be expected to come off his first read and find an open receiver when hes having to evade the rush.  

He sounded frustrated in the post game press conference when asked a related question..and said the other team had some good players.

Does anyone really think Burrow or Mahommes would have been more successful behind that offensive line today??

And that was on a snow covered field that seemed to be keeping our pass rush away from Burrow.

1 hour ago, The 9 Isles said:

Well he isn’t as good at the QB position as Burrow and Mahomes are currently, that’s for sure. 

I’d like to see Mahomes and Burrow operate behind the ***** o-line Allen has to.

Edited by Beast

2 hours ago, RoscoeParrish said:

We were dominated in all 3 phases today, but this season and franchise has always been about Josh Allen being an elite QB and taking us to the next level. 

It is safe to say he regressed this year and today was the nail in the coffin.

Sure you can blame the OC, but 10 points at home in a playoff game falls on the QBs shoulders in a MAJOR capacity. 

If this board voted on Cinci having 27 points before kickoff, most would have taken it. 

I am afraid Allen’s career will be an above average quarterback who shuffles between signs of greatness, signs of mediocrity, and signs of someone with zero offers out of high school. 

He is NOT even in the league of Mahomes and Burrow and today solidified that. 

He had as many boneheaded turnovers this year as his rookie season.  He led the league in fumbles and INTs.  He scored 10 points at home in a playoff game when he was preseason MVP and this team was preseason Super Bowl favorites. 

He regressed. 

Put JA in Fins Uni how far do they get & how does he look? Fumbling between mediocrity and greatness? I don’t think so!

Edited by PayDaBill$

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Maybe it has.  But that pass was on target and went right through the hands of Gabe Davis.

True, however when you throw long balls the completion percentage goes down no matter how well the QB throws it. A well thrown shorter route was a better option there. And in most of their 3rd and short calls. Every time they get pressured on 3rd and short it is a long-ish pass. Too much high risk, high reward play. That is a scheme problem.

31 minutes ago, Nelius said:

It’s not so much about Diggs vs Chase as it is Higgins and Boyd vs Gabe and Mcdummy(?).

We haven’t armed Allen like we should. Biggest issue this season was that we all thought Gabe and Knox would take a step forward, and they simply didn’t. It’s Diggs and a bunch of projects. Even KC went out and scooped Juju and Toney, both B grade WRs. We just do nothing.

We did bring Beasley & Brown back. And today Beasley might have been our 2nd best WR out there.  And that is a huge problem that Bean must see - right?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.