Post-game thoughts after a disappointing loss

Logic

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Agree.

Need a oc (less pressure on Allen with more creative plays), wr's, slot wr, oline, back up te on offense.

Gabe is a good 3 or great 4th string wr.

If he can be the Tyler Boyd of the team, that's fine. We still need a Tee Higgins. 

• Like (+1) 1

On the bright side, maybe this offseason Josh can....starting in a few days........exhale.  Literally, just be himself with no one hovering over him.

He looked so uncomfortable throughout the year.  The weight of the world, big contract, all off-season hype, and then factor that into the reality he is a genuinely nice kid and all the major events this team, city, region, people endured since last spring and he just looked like he was on the precipice of being overwhelmed and like it would not take much for him to shut it down and walk away.  To me at least, he never looked calm and confident. Not once.

Maybe he goes dark for a few months, spends time doing what he wants to do with no bizarre expectations, takes the needed time to recalibrate and come back as the QB we know and love?

That is my hope.  The rest should fall into place.

Really, we just need large and wide bodies on the lines.  Clearly, it worked for Cinn.  It should work for us.  We were just too small on the DL and not physical on either line. 

39 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Anyone else strangely calm after this? Maybe I’m getting used to it or maybe I just never saw a path to beat the Bengals. 

But I’m over it already. I do think changes need to be made at the very highest levels, but I’m not going to let this ruin my day. 

Maybe next year. 

Yep kinda of calm myself.  The game wasn't close so there's no agonizing over a handful of plays or calls imo.

Edited by DCbillsfan

36 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Anyone else strangely calm after this? Maybe I’m getting used to it or maybe I just never saw a path to beat the Bengals. 

But I’m over it already. I do think changes need to be made at the very highest levels, but I’m not going to let this ruin my day. 

Maybe next year. 

Nope.  This was our year, and we frigging blew it.

• Like (+1) 1

This was our year to make it happen.  All the teams with good, young QB’s in the AFC have blown past us and it will be next to impossible to ever catch back up again.  Especially with the philosophies on both sides of the ball. We could be in for a few down years before hopefully making another run when JA matures a little more.  If we ever see that day.  

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I just think they were spent. They looked spent. They looked flat and they looked like the tank was on E. 

People may say otherwise but based on the accumulation of things week after week to overcome, at some point you just have nothing left to give.

I can't be mad at them. They went thru so much this year, probably more than any team in history when you look at everything combined.

Hamlin is OK, that's good enough for me. 

They need to sort things out, figure out what they are going to do and come up with ways to overcome their shortcomings which look far bigger than they did at the start of the season right now.

How in the world could the tank be on "E" for a game of this magnitude?

Come on man.  This is football.  It's about physicality and being out performed.  

The Bengals owned us today.  It has nothing to do with emotions or being flat.   

It has to do with being whipped at the game of football.

The question which has to be answered is why?  Why did we get killed?  Just a bad matchup?  Do we need to alter our roster to better jibe with the Bengals?  Would they beat us like this 4 out of 5 times?

Could be beat them just as badly on another day?  What flaws does this expose about the franchise going forward, generally, if any?

I feel like a number of good teams on their game in the playoffs were destined to whip us this year, because we haven't been playing good enough football for about 8 or 9 games now.

The team that ended up doing it was the Bengals.  With Tua and a healthy squad, it would probably have been Miami last week.  It could have been Philly or San Fran in the big dance (both those teams right now would destroy us), it could also have been KC.

Next year another team or 2 might joint that list.  We need to get better and built around performance in the playoffs.  And it should be assumed the weather will be crap, for what that's worth.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Maybe next year. 

I echo this.  We lost badly...but I'm not upset.  When I saw Daquon Jones was inactive coupled with the snow, I knew the Bengals would run the ball successfully and that the Bills wouldn't because of Dorsey.

I'm not down on McD because his calm demeanor and leadership got the Bills through a very rough season.  I do hope he takes a hard look at his coaching staff and makes the appropriate changes.  I hope Beane does the same with the players.  The injuries exposed the lack of depth.

This team hadn't been championship caliber since the beginning of the season and things were only getting worse.   So...this team needs to reassess, refresh and regroup for next year.  We're onto the off-season and the draft.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, henry jones said:

This was our year to make it happen.  All the teams with good, young QB’s in the AFC have blown past us and it will be next to impossible to ever catch back up again.  Especially with the philosophies on both sides of the ball. We could be in for a few down years before hopefully making another run when JA matures a little more.  If we ever see that day.  

yup.-

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

How in the world could the tank be on "E" for a game of this magnitude?

Come on man.  This is football.  It's about physicality and being out performed.  

The Bengals owned us today.  It has nothing to do with emotions or being flat.   

It has to do with being whipped at the game of football.

The question which has to be answered is why?  Why did we get killed?  Just a bad matchup?  Do we need to alter our roster to better jibe with the Bengals?  Would they beat us like this 4 out of 5 times?

Could be beat them just as badly on another day?  What flaws does this expose about the franchise going forward, generally, if any?

I feel like a number of good teams on their game in the playoffs were destined to whip us this year, because we haven't been playing good enough football for about 8 or 9 games now.

The team that ended up doing it was the Bengals.  With Tua and a healthy squad, it would probably have been Miami last week.  It could have been Philly or San Fran in the big dance (both those teams right now would destroy us), it could also have been KC.

Next year another team or 2 might joint that list.  We need to get better and built around performance in the playoffs.  And it should be assumed the weather will be crap, for what that's worth.

I just answered why. You must never have had to endure a significantly rough stretch and then had to continuously perform under it if you don't understand how this happens. At some point doing it over and over again with no breaks or downtime it just wears on you mentally and emotionally which then becomes physically.

The answer is, it's simple. Football players are human beings not robots 

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

Manhandled once again  Watching the small defense once again get punished in the big game.  This offseason you got to get bigger and more physical on both the O line and D line  Also how has McDermott not fixed the tackling  Its been steadily getting worse

Tackling in the NFL generally sucks today. It's not unique to the Bills.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

Nope.  This was our year, and we frigging blew it.

I'm not picking a fight, I promise. But how was this our year? I get the argument at the start - no1 seed etc - but that vanished pretty much on contact with the season. But it was pretty early into the season that it seemed clear this wouldn't be our SB year - or at least not without a lot of luck. And we got none of that. After Miller's injury I really didn't ever feel like we were going to be SB champions. I felt we 'blew it' last year. This year it just seemed to fall apart for us in a lot of different ways. 

You get to the playoffs next year against KC or Cincinnati and idk how you expect to win. Just teams that embarrassed you in the playoffs 2 of the last 3 seasons and one took your best shot and 13 seconds wasn’t enough. You can’t just hope to miss out on playing the good teams somehow. They are going to be there

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

yup.-

senor Riot we will have #17 and a bevy of healthy men for the next campaign.  This team is nowhere near done in a quest for GLORY. They got their ***** beat. IF you think that is the end of the road I Strongly disagree. Im not gonna cry over it.  That's jjust me though. I am Disappointed but my hopes are eternal. 

m

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.