I’m over this defensive scheme. Bring in a new DC.

Alphadawg7

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Because it is McDermott's defense too. He is running what McDermott wants him to run. Personally I have no issue with the scheme but it can't work when the only guys playing ball are the two linebackers and the nickel corner. The secondary has been awful this year, compared to its previous standards. No Hyde, Poyer playing on one knee, Elam only showing flashes and Tre White looking like a ghost (honestly, I would not be shocked if he retires, his heart just does not look in it at all). Early in the year we covered that up some with pass rush. Once Von went down that weapon went too. 

The fact is tonight the Bills were horrible all over the place. Defense couldn't stop the run or the pass, the Quarterback was bad, the playcalling confusing and the offensive line an abomination. 

I don't expect them to make coordinator changes..... but the secondary and the offensive line need to look very different come September. They can't just be in "run it back" mode again. Some changes have to be made. Those two units have underperformed all year. 

Careful Gunner, you’re gonna give some folks around here a stroke if you suggest any investment into a weak secondary.

I agree with most this, but something has got to change.  Bring in a new DC and let them bring a new defense.  

McD is going no where, but this will be his last shot next season before he is on the chopping block.  Something has to be done, this team is built like a dome team on both sides of the ball.  We are the Vikings of the AFC right now.  

We have to make changes, we won’t have as much talent on this team next year because we can’t keep everyone and can’t spend much in free agency.  

Running it back with lesser personnel isn’t going to get us past Cincy and KC.  And if I’m not mistaken, I think Cincy had a ton of cap space this year.  

Send a message.  Make changes at DC and to the system and replace Dorsey.  Keep him as the QB coach if he wants, but we need some more creative and that can build a run game to help Josh.  

I realize that none of that is probably gonna happen.  But it’s what we should do.

26 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Why does everyone have to get fired when you lose in the playoffs?

Because Leslie Frazier cost us the last 3 years he is horrible and todays game should be the end 

7 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Frazier is to defense what Dorsey seems to be to offense.  If our offense isn't hitting big passes Dorsey doesn't have many answers and if our defense can't cover even when the are playing coverage Frazier isn't going to have an answer.  Halftime most coaches would come out and run or hit some short passes and on defense most teams would blitz or bring a safety down and take some chances stopping short throws and runs since we aren't stopping the deep throws anyways but not our coaches.  Same thing all game long.

Leslie Fraizer is horrible stop saying he is good he cost us the last 3 years. Todays game is enough 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They drafted Elam to be able to try and play a bit more man. The problem was they ended up down to their 4th safety and the other guy on 1 knee (Poyer actually blew coverages on both the first two touchdowns), Elam only showed in flashes and I am not sure we are getting the real Tre White back.

I’m hoping they realized this and were slowly going to make the change. Dan Jackson should not see the field and next year and we need to get faster at safety

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They drafted Elam to be able to try and play a bit more man. The problem was they ended up down to their 4th safety and the other guy on 1 knee (Poyer actually blew coverages on both the first two touchdowns), Elam only showed in flashes and I am not sure we are getting the real Tre White back.

Tre White is our third best corner. It's unfortunate, but I think he's cooked.

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Careful Gunner, you’re gonna give some folks around here a stroke if you suggest any investment into a weak secondary.

I agree with most this, but something has got to change.  Bring in a new DC and let them bring a new defense.  

McD is going no where, but this will be his last shot next season before he is on the chopping block.  Something has to be done, this team is built like a dome team on both sides of the ball.  We are the Vikings of the AFC right now.  

We have to make changes, we won’t have as much talent on this team next year because we can’t keep everyone and can’t spend much in free agency.  

Running it back with lesser personnel isn’t going to get us past Cincy and KC.  And if I’m not mistaken, I think Cincy had a ton of cap space this year.  

Send a message.  Make changes at DC and to the system and replace Dorsey.  Keep him as the QB coach if he wants, but we need some more creative and that can build a run game to help Josh.  

I realize that none of that is probably gonna happen.  But it’s what we should do.

Coaches don't change their stripes. The only way to change the defensive scheme is to fire McD

20 minutes ago, foreboding said:

Our guys didn't cover, our lines didn't get a push. Seems to me we need some new players.

Odd given how much has been invested on defense....

Curious to see how these other 'stud' pics play in a different scheme....

Should have happened last year after 13 seconds before big $$$ decisions have to be made this offseason on a number of high draft pics

Edited by RocCityRoller

Yeah like others my chief concern is that this defense is playing the game exactly as McD wants it to be played. 

Even if Frazier is let go this offseason, does McD turn over the defense to an experienced coordinator with a different philosophy? 

It would be like the situation when we hired Rex and had Schwartz — two different types of defensive minds just aren’t going to co exist. I don’t see that happening. If he hires someone else they’re still gonna run the scheme as McD wants it to be run. 

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I agree they can't run it back. But their bigger problems are between the white than on the sideline IMO. The offensive line has been trash (and I mean trash) for two years. Beane promised us last January he would fix it. It got worse if anything. The pass rush even without Von has two firsts and two seconds that this regime has selected and couldn't get home. And the secondary (which has been a strength of this team) has aged and injuried out at the same time. Some major work to do on the roster IMO. 

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Not everyone, but someone high up there. It’s not just 1 playoff loss, but we’ve been prematurely bounced out of the playoffs 4 years in a row with supposedly one of the best QBs in the league. Meanwhile, Burrow went to a SB his rookie season and Mahommes won a SB his 2nd full season. Are we wasting Allen’s prime? Is McD gaining the reputation of a coach who can’t win in the playoffs? Outside of the playoffs, I knew we weren’t going to get anywhere with our divisional showing. SB teams don’t lose to the Jets or squeak our wins against the Fins. 

27 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I recognize Frazier garners respect as a top tier DC and even possible HC candidate.  And in a lot ways it’s deserved.  But, I’m over his defense.  

I’ve been over it since last year, he then started to win me back holding together the D through so many injuries.  But last week and this week showed his defense is a liability come playoff time, just like it’s always been in every playoff exit we have had.

More importantly, his entire defensive scheme is as a DISADVANTAGE in bad weather.  Offense already has an advantage in bad weather because they know where they are going on each play.  Defenders have to play off a little more in bad weather, and that just completely disrupts our defensive scheme and gives opponents wide open targets to just pick apart Fraziers D.

They won’t fire McD after what this team went through this year, but I hop we make a change at DC.

NOTE:  Also hope we see Dorsey leave so we can get a more seasoned and creative OC in here.  No way they fire him, but hope he gets the Carolina job. 

Sadly I doubt either gets a HC job and doubt either gets fired.  

It’s amazing to be located in a cold weather environment, yet our o is terible in cold weather.  I am with you on Frazier.  Two seasons with good regular season records essentially blown with terrible defensive production in the playoffs.  But hey we have a great dvoa!  We were at the bottom of the league in sacks I believe.  Pretty hard to fathom. I would not be surprised to see Von retire , after seeing that , he might decide it’s time to pursue his other interests.  Facing a challenging offseason eso with teams like Miami coming on.  This is a big blow to how the Bills will be perceived until they prove they can do something in the playoffs.  

29 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I agree, if McD is humble enough he gets rid of Frazier and lets someone come in and run their own defense. Can’t run this mainly zone defense and win in the playoffs

Also re Dorsey at least it’s his first year, Frazier doesn’t have an excuse

Our best defensive series was after Cinci's 2nd TD when we played some man. Our staying in zone so heavily and not disguising or PD has become infuriating to watch. It is time for Frazier to move on period....

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Well maybe because our last 4 playoff exits were all defensive failures.  Our defense is soft and small.  We had 270lb DE's today pretending to play DT.  I felt the season was probably lost when Micah & Von went down.  The air just came out of the balloon.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Well maybe because our last 4 playoff exits were all defensive failures.  Our defense is soft and small.  We had 270lb DE's today pretending to play DT.  I felt the season was probably lost when Micah & Von went down.  The air just came out of the balloon.  

Not a lot of talent on defense. It’s fake talent. There are no 1v1 players on defense. No one beats their guy.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.