I’m over this defensive scheme. Bring in a new DC.

Alphadawg7

21 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

If people want to talk about bad defensive performances in the playoffs, how can we neglect mentioning the Colts game? The Colts should have beaten Buffalo. They gained 472 yards and didn’t turn the ball over. It was crazy that the Bills won that game given how easily the Colts marched up and down the field. Accurate, experienced qbs with elite qualities shred zones, and that’s what Mahomes, Rivers, and Burrow have all done. 

Because Allen and the offense were able to overcome the ineptitude and predictability of Frazier.  

• Like (+1) 4

37 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

That's not necessarily true...they led the NFL in stuffs this year by a wide margin...that didn't have anything to do with making mistakes, that is simply playing on the other side of the LOS.

The issue is in big games against good offenses they play timid.

Nope. The issue is lack of talent and a sound defensive philosophy.  You can play aggressive all day but if you have JAGs and hobbled DBs coming back from ACL surgery on your defense , they won't put up much of a fight against more talented players.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Lagoon Blues said:

Is it really Leslies D?  How much of it is Seans and Leslie is running it?  Not sarcasm truly asking... I guess what I'm getting at is would anything change with a new d coordinator?

Yea I think they both come from the same philosophy so the answer is it’s both of theirs. 

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Many on here simply won't admit the defense has been a fraud all along. They have built up great stats playing atrocious QBs. When they face any team that has a decent oline they get pushed around. The defense has had epic collapses dating back to the first year McD was here giving up 200 yards rushing to the Saints.  There have been many other games. 

The reality is the defense is soft. They play undersized DEs and DTs with the thought they will generate a pass rush with four and the scheme fits will stop the run. But it just isn't working. The defense relies on the opponent making a mistake or getting a penalty.  That works against the bad teams and the bad QBs. It won't and hasn't worked against the good QBs. 

The general scheme is really no different than others play. We just don't have the DL to pull it off.  

Beane needs to be a man and admit his mistakes. He needs to cut Epenesa and Basham and sign some decent vets to pair with Miller and Rousseau.  The draft capital must go to the offense. 

This is dead on about our D.  Good QB's will carve us up because they don't make the mistakes our D style is banking on.  That was not an off day yesterday for the defense.  Burrow would do that to them over and over again.  Only thing I'll add is this team missed Hyde (and a healthy Poyer) in a big way.  Glad Hamlin is doing well, but he and everyone else that played for Hyde this season were a big drop off.    

3 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Nope. The issue is lack of talent and a sound defensive philosophy.  You can play aggressive all day but if you have JAGs and hobbled DBs coming back from ACL surgery on your defense , they won't put up much of a fight against more talented players.

But yet during the season with the same players they play relatively well?  

Just now, prissythecat said:

But we never play aggressively to even know that with this team. You can blame the players all day if you want but watching the Bengals do what they did yesterday shows a lack of creativity on defense. Romo was even saying how awesome a job the Bengals defense was doing and when then sent pressure and disguised there looks. 

14 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Ok but people are like fire everyone. 

Over the last 3 years the defense has leaked like a sieve in playoff loses. 439 yards, 552 yards & yesterday 412 yards. 1st downs given up 29, 30 & 30. Opposing QBs in those 3 games 85/118, 945 yards, 8 TDs, 0 ints, QB Rating of 118.08!!! If that wasn't bad enough they also gave up 468 yards rushing(156 on average) in those 3 games. Someone needs to be fired for this. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, buffblue said:

Because you recognize that the team always crumbles against top teams in big games?

We didn't crumble against KC last postseason...and we beat them again this season @KC. And again last regular season @KC.

Bengals got us. Simple as that.

Where's our dome?

😁😋

Can we get Jim Schwarz to come back as DC and install his "wide 9" scheme?  My memory isn't that clear about that era but I believe he took most of the same personal that played mediocre and transformed the group into a sack and pass rush machine.  

No we can't as I believe the Browns hired him!

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

15 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

No, but they weren't the reason we lost either of those games. We were inept on offense in both. 

They were just as much of the reason we lost as the offense was. Staked a 16-0 midway through the 3rd in Houston, once it reaches that point it's on the defense to bring that game home. While I agree the offense wasn't good enough in 2020, the exact same thing holds true for the defense. Mahomes dominated them in that game as others have mentioned. And it's not like they piled it on at the end, they only scored once in the 4th and our offense only turned it over one time, once the game was well in hand. Not sure how a defense that gives up 5 tds and a fg in the AFCCG is not considered inept and at least 50% of the problem.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS
  • Disagree 1

I feel like they are running Frazier's scheme above all else. McDermott's teams in Carolina spent a lot of time in 4-3 under looks. McDermott is a disciple of Jim Johnson, attacking blitzing defenses and wide nine, 4-3 under concepts. How we became this full time 4-2-5 base feels more like a Frazier thing...Tampa 2 bend but don't break. The scheme is not exotic and the players are ok.

If you are not exotic, you have to win one on ones, and our talent defensively is just not there. Watch Fred Warner carry CeeDee Lamb up the seam and imagive Tremaine doing the same? Taron Johnson getting smashed because teams are scheming ways to attack him in the run game as the third LB. 

I think they need to bring in Steve Wilks. He is the missing piece on the staff imo. He comes from McDermott's scheme and he has run 4-3s, 3-4 concepts and has adjusted to his personnel. Above all else, Wilks is just as respected by the players as Frazier is. I would also be excited about a guy like Brian Flores. 

I truly believe that this is not McDermott's scheme we are watching. It doesn't remove blame, but I can't believe he would be this passive when compared to other Jim Johnson disciples in Steve Spagnolo, Ron Rivera and John Harbaugh. It wasn't like this in Carolina. McDermott was never a big blitzer, but he was more exotic with his fronts and coverages in Carolina. 

Look back at all the articles that were written when McDermott was hired and what we should expect. It is nothing like what we got. 

https://www.cover1.net/sean-mcdermotts-defensive-philosophy-detail-oriented/

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/02/06/growing-pains-breaking-down-the-bills-transition-to-sean-mcdermotts-4-3-defense/

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/1/12/14236950/sean-mcdermott-buffalo-bills-head-coach-4-3-defense-all-22

I am not defending Sean, and I love Leslie Frazier, but at this point Frazier has to go. There are a number of DC's avalable at the moment who are better than him. Mutually agree to part ways and go from there. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Process said:

This is the most Leslie Frazier play call of all time. Absolutely disgusting. I can't believe what I am looking at. 

I said the same thing when I saw that. “That’s fireable.” To make matters worse Edmunds was one of the blitzers. He’s as poor at blitzing as I’ve ever see a player be. Yet they blitzed him over and over with no success. 

9 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Frazier deserves his share of the blame here, but this is McDermott’s defense. It’s not as simple as firing Frazier. If the next DC just runs McD’s scheme with McD’s players, it’ll have similar results. 

Well whose is it? Let's get an answer here. Someone step up. Is McD a puppetmaster? or is he being a sub to an elder who (may or may not have some dirt on him). For the life of me I can't see it being anything but the latter. If I'm wrong we got bigger problems than a D.C.

Edit: Of course if I'm right or wrong, we're in the same boat. In any case, the axe needs to swing.

Edited by nosejob

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.