I’m over this defensive scheme. Bring in a new DC.

Alphadawg7

14 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

What sense does that make? You keep losing when it matters because of the defense, so try and make the offense better? How about fix the massive issue with the team….Getting stops?

How many good players do you need?  The answer isn't the players, it is the timid schemes giving up easy throws to wide open receivers without any Bills within 5 yards of them all too often. I am willing to bet other DC's would have a much better plan in those games.

• Agree 3

14 hours ago, Big Turk said:

If I was Beane I would sink the majority of resources into the offense.

We've seen the defense get smoked in the playoffs all 3 years in the losses with all the picks and All-Pro players.

If they can't stop anyone when it counts then they damn sure better make sure they can protect Allen, have WRs that get open other than Diggs and let the offense go toe to toe...

we were the same dang thing on d in 2018, with much less invested in the D.  2nd overall in yards, got trucked by physical teams who can run the ball up the middle (which imo the biggest reason we lost today.  take that away and maybe we hit the qb on 3rd and long w the back OL and get a turnover and the O catches fire).

our stupid scheme/never adjusting vs good teams has murdered us 4 times in the playoffs.

we can have a kinda sorta d performance at home in the playoffs w less investment on the D, but an extra actual NFL starting WR (we brought back the ghost of Brown and the corpse of Bease this season for crying out loud) and two linemen who can smash and run, and all of a sudden we might be able to run directly up the gut, execute an actual screen play, and not watch davis drop perfect pass after perfect pass when diggs gets erased by the D.

Many on here simply won't admit the defense has been a fraud all along. They have built up great stats playing atrocious QBs. When they face any team that has a decent oline they get pushed around. The defense has had epic collapses dating back to the first year McD was here giving up 200 yards rushing to the Saints.  There have been many other games. 

The reality is the defense is soft. They play undersized DEs and DTs with the thought they will generate a pass rush with four and the scheme fits will stop the run. But it just isn't working. The defense relies on the opponent making a mistake or getting a penalty.  That works against the bad teams and the bad QBs. It won't and hasn't worked against the good QBs. 

The general scheme is really no different than others play. We just don't have the DL to pull it off.  

Beane needs to be a man and admit his mistakes. He needs to cut Epenesa and Basham and sign some decent vets to pair with Miller and Rousseau.  The draft capital must go to the offense. 

• Agree 3

Word up. Thanks for being a class act Leslie.  Exit stage right. 

Dorsey….. you can join him.  

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

How many good players do you need?  The answer isn't the players, it is the timid schemes giving up easy throws to wide open receivers without any Bills within 5 yards of them all too often. I am willing to bet other DC's would have a much better plan in those games.

Agreed. 

1 minute ago, colin said:

we were the same dang thing on d in 2018, with much less invested in the D.  2nd overall in yards, got trucked by physical teams who can run the ball up the middle (which imo the biggest reason we lost today.  take that away and maybe we hit the qb on 3rd and long w the back OL and get a turnover and the O catches fire).

our stupid scheme/never adjusting vs good teams has murdered us 4 times in the playoffs.

we can have a kinda sorta d performance at home in the playoffs w less investment on the D, but an extra actual NFL starting WR (we brought back the ghost of Brown and the corpse of Bease this season for crying out loud) and two linemen who can smash and run, and all of a sudden we might be able to run directly up the gut, execute an actual screen play, and not watch davis drop perfect pass after perfect pass when diggs gets erased by the D.

We saw the impact DaQuan had all year.  Missing him hurt badly, but we weren't winning that game even with him.  They just had nothing on either side of the ball yesterday.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Many on here simply won't admit the defense has been a fraud all along. They have built up great stats playing atrocious QBs. When they face any team that has a decent oline they get pushed around. The defense has had epic collapses dating back to the first year McD was here giving up 200 yards rushing to the Saints.  There have been many other games. 

The reality is the defense is soft. They play undersized DEs and DTs with the thought they will generate a pass rush with four and the scheme fits will stop the run. But it just isn't working. The defense relies on the opponent making a mistake or getting a penalty.  That works against the bad teams and the bad QBs. It won't and hasn't worked against the good QBs. 

The general scheme is really no different than others play. We just don't have the DL to pull it off.  

Beane needs to be a man and admit his mistakes. He needs to cut Epenesa and Basham and sign some decent vets to pair with Miller and Rousseau.  The draft capital must go to the offense. 

That's not necessarily true...they led the NFL in stuffs this year by a wide margin...that didn't have anything to do with making mistakes, that is simply playing on the other side of the LOS.

The issue is in big games against good offenses they play timid.

Edited by Big Turk

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

We saw the impact DaQuan had all year.  Missing him hurt badly, but we weren't winning that game even with him.  They just had nothing on either side of the ball yesterday.

the upside of that is jones and phillips and lawson were cheaper street free agents, and they outplayed our picks and our prior expensive guys.  we just have to get smart (less stupid really) with where we allocate our money on the lower level guys on the team.

schematic issues on D are obv a more immediate issue, but that can also be fixed IMO.

our O just totally lacks talent.  cinci's back up OL is better than our starters.

6 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Nobody here wants Fraizer fired more then I do. That’s my number 1 ask here

• Agree 1

Going into this game you knew the offense needed to score 30 plus points to have a chance at winning. You knew the Bengals were going to get theirs. The Bills scored 10 points. With that being said, yea I am done with Fraziers defense. Time for a change.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Bermuda Triangle said:

I disagree with that.  I wanted him gone more than you do.

I have hated this guy for 3 years lol. Idc either way let’s just fire him. But knowing McDermott, he’ll just go down with the ship here. No way they get rid of Fraizer. We’re stuck with the perms inevitable playoff embarrassment looming

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Lagoon Blues said:

Is it really Leslies D?  How much of it is Seans and Leslie is running it?  Not sarcasm truly asking... I guess what I'm getting at is would anything change with a new d coordinator?

Good question. If McDermott is a good coach he will see the issues and accept change.

If people want to talk about bad defensive performances in the playoffs, how can we neglect mentioning the Colts game? The Colts should have beaten Buffalo. They gained 472 yards and didn’t turn the ball over. It was crazy that the Bills won that game given how easily the Colts marched up and down the field. Accurate, experienced qbs with elite qualities shred zones, and that’s what Mahomes, Rivers, and Burrow have all done. 

The other thing I’ll bring up is Allen vs. blitzes. He was bad against the blitz this season, and someone as good and experienced as he is should be a LOT better against the blitz. Elite qbs generally shred blitzes. His processing was not great this season. Don’t know what’s up with that, but he has to be given some easier answers vs blitzes and he has to choose those answers immediately. I thought he had a sneakily terrible game yesterday - one of his worst ever. Bad decision after bad decision that resulted him holding the ball too long, opting for futile scrambles, and making low percentage throws. 

Edited by dave mcbride

36 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Having Von Miller wouldn't have mattered one bit yesterday.

Absolutely insane to see Burrow get rid of the ball so quick and every. time. have someone wide open.  

I just laughed maniacally when we blitzed Burrow deep on our own side on 3rd and 5, blitzer came flying through, and all Burrow had to do was simply toss it five yards to Chase with White playing 10 yards off coverage. Amazing. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.