I’m over this defensive scheme. Bring in a new DC.

Alphadawg7

24 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

I've said this many times over the past few years

The offense and defense is not aligned

The Team likes to or at least says they want to be aggressive on offense but then plays a passive defense. It doesn't match. The ideas/goals/thoughts should be aligned 

A guy that should get a call is vic Fangio, I know he plays a different defense than what McDermott has coached but that shouldn't matter 

Great post.

Even someone like Spags I would love.

Chiefs give up a lot of big plays, but if the other team gets a big play, they have Patrick Mahomes to respond..

Bills should have the same mindset with Josh

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

they need to change philosophy to be more willing to press man and stop always playing soft zone on back end  That stacking the line and dropping off has been figured out  Time for new wrinkles and maybe hit on some play makers  All those D lineman draft picks and none of them are particularly good  On the concerning end the best of the defense is aging out  Hyde/Poyer will be a year older if both are even here  Tre is still not 100% and might never ne  Rest are jags with exception of Milano

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Why does everyone have to get fired when you lose in the playoffs?

If you keep losing with the same guys making the calls, what are you supposed to do?  Dorsey is just in over his head right now and wasn't ready to make the jump to OC yet.  His play calling quite often tells me he doesn't understand situational football and what needs to be called on certain downs and distances.  He's always talking about balance, but who gives a crap about balance if you have something that's working?  You keep doing the thing that's working until the other team can stop it.  He's also too quick to abandon the run, which makes his repeated calls about the need to be balanced all the more puzzling.

I've had my problems with Frazier long before this game, but if this game doesn't demonstrate the problems with his defensive philosophy and preparation, I don't know what does.

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Dan said:

They have to try something... then current D has been exposed in every playoff game, save the NE game.    we need a new defensive identity. Which means new DC.    And get a fickin offensive line for Allen

And Baltimore.

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

Whatever the truth may be, there is too much on Allen right now. If he doesn’t show up we literally get blown out. No other playmakers on O, can’t run the ball, defense sucks… We need other playmakers on this team not named Josh Allen.

It's almost criminal having to watch Josh out there often getting immediate pressure and running for his life with a 4 or even 3-man rush against our starting O-line and our D not even sniffing Burrow with three of their starters out.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Frazier’s scheme and play calling are playoff caliber not championship caliber.

I’ve been a fan and have defended him but after KC last year, making Skyler look like an all pro last week, and the weak zone nonsense this game was, I’m ready to move on. 

Dorsey gets another year to grow into his OC shoes imo.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

they need to change philosophy to be more willing to press man and stop always playing soft zone on back end  That stacking the line and dropping off has been figured out  Time for new wrinkles and maybe hit on some play makers  All those D lineman draft picks and none of them are particularly good  On the concerning end the best of the defense is aging out  Hyde/Poyer will be a year older if both are even here  Tre is still not 100% and might never ne  Rest are jags with exception of Milano

I seriously almost turned the TV off on the 3rd and 4 where they sent the big blitz and the DBs were all at least 10 yards off the ball.

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

I've said this many times over the past few years

The offense and defense is not aligned

The Team likes to or at least says they want to be aggressive on offense but then plays a passive defense. It doesn't match. The ideas/goals/thoughts should be aligned 

A guy that should get a call is vic Fangio, I know he plays a different defense than what McDermott has coached but that shouldn't matter 

We have become the Colts from the Manning era and even they had Freeney.

33 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

You’re absolutely right Alpha. But here’s the problem…

I think it’s more Mcd and not Frazier.

They can fire Frazier but then MCD will just want to hire a guy who runs his cover 2/cover 3 shell.

If the defence changes, I think it has to start with MCD looking at himself in the mirror

I fear you're right... however there was a stretch a few seasons back when McD was pissed at Frazier and took the reigns of the D back for a game or so and they were MUCH more aggressive in their approach. Hopefully he realizes that their offense... more accurately Allen... allows them to take more defensive risks (assuming they upgrade the WR2 and OL talent) and they adjust accordingly.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Straight up embarrassing how limp the defense was

I remember after the 13 secs debacle last year;  realizing nobody was gonna offer Frasier a HC gig after that freakin disaster felt like another disaster in itself. 

Bills were outcoached on both sides and at the top by a country mile. The Bills coaches were like amateurs

• Agree 1

The problem isn't Sean McDermott/Leslie Frazier's defensive scheme.  

The problem is their unwillingness (or possibly their inability) to make major changes when facing elite Quarterbacks and Offensive Coordinators.

There are two basic ways to win in the NFL:

1.  Outplay your opponent

2.  Outsmart your opponent

This coaching staff relies 100% on the first method.  To them it's always about execution, and playing better than the opponent on gameday.  Which is great when you can stay mostly healthy, and are significantly more talented than the opposition.  Or when you are only playing 2-3 truly elite quarterbacks during the course of a 17 week season.  

But the postseason is different.  It's NOT JUST ABOUT consistent execution.  Once you hit the divisional round, the talent levels between teams are way too similar.  The quality of coaching is way higher.  They quality of quarterback play is way higher.  You can't just go out, and hope YOUR BEST is better than THEIR BEST.  You have to relentlessly study film and find weak points to exploit.  You have to strategically develop creative game plans and wrinkles (especially on defense) that give you an advantage.  So many "good" coaches in the NFL have never figured this out.  It's why they win lots of games in the regular season, and then fall apart when the playoffs hit.  Unfortunately, I think our staff is among that group.

14 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Probably, doesn’t make me wrong though.  

Of course not. Frazier certainly needs to go.

The fact is that we just got dog walked at home by an inferior team that was even depleted by injuries. They ran over us and completed passes at will. This is unacceptable by any stretch. 

Tbh I am surprised that you excluded McDermott from criticism. He needs too needs to be held accountable for this defense, as well as for his Levy/Jauron method of team building. We need a team that can and will overpower our opponents, especially in the elements. McDermott, just like his subpar predecessors emphasizes defensive backs. 

How is that working out?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.