I’m over this defensive scheme. Bring in a new DC.

Alphadawg7

11 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Why does Frazier need to keep on keeping his job after the defense fails in the playoffs?  It’s been every single year.  How many times do we need to see his defense not work in playoff football before we try something new?

Because it is McDermott's defense too. He is running what McDermott wants him to run. Personally I have no issue with the scheme but it can't work when the only guys playing ball are the two linebackers and the nickel corner. The secondary has been awful this year, compared to its previous standards. No Hyde, Poyer playing on one knee, Elam only showing flashes and Tre White looking like a ghost (honestly, I would not be shocked if he retires, his heart just does not look in it at all). Early in the year we covered that up some with pass rush. Once Von went down that weapon went too. 

The fact is tonight the Bills were horrible all over the place. Defense couldn't stop the run or the pass, the Quarterback was bad, the playcalling confusing and the offensive line an abomination. 

I don't expect them to make coordinator changes..... but the secondary and the offensive line need to look very different come September. They can't just be in "run it back" mode again. Some changes have to be made. Those two units have underperformed all year. 

• Like (+1) 1

Frazier is to defense what Dorsey seems to be to offense.  If our offense isn't hitting big passes Dorsey doesn't have many answers and if our defense can't cover even when the are playing coverage Frazier isn't going to have an answer.  Halftime most coaches would come out and run or hit some short passes and on defense most teams would blitz or bring a safety down and take some chances stopping short throws and runs since we aren't stopping the deep throws anyways but not our coaches.  Same thing all game long.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dan said:

The Bengals scores on 5 of 7 drives. All long field, methodical drives.  The offense wasn’t good.  But they were behind the gun all day. 

You are right, and the 14-0 start put the O on the back foot, but there is no excuse for them. I think their fundamentals were even worse than the defense's. 

Horrible football all around. The Bills wouldn't have beaten Houston with that performance. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Dan said:

Because this was a complete beat down and complete domination.  I would also argue...  our season has ended each year in the playoffs... because the defense plays soft and comes up small in these games... maybe not in KC in 2020... but in Houston, KC last year, today. The defense is completely out schemed, out played and exposed.   

You cant keep coming back to the same well and hope you finally get lucky. Do something and find a way to get over the hump. 

Disagree with the bolded.  I thought that the KC offense did as they pleased in the 2020 playoff game.  

20 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I recognize Frazier garners respect as a top tier DC and even possible HC candidate.  And in a lot ways it’s deserved.  But, I’m over his defense.  

I’ve been over it since last year, he then started to win me back holding together the D through so many injuries.  But last week and this week showed his defense is a liability come playoff time, just like it’s always been in every playoff exit we have had.

More importantly, his entire defensive scheme is as a DISADVANTAGE in bad weather.  Offense already has an advantage in bad weather because they know where they are going on each play.  Defenders have to play off a little more in bad weather, and that just completely disrupts our defensive scheme and gives opponents wide open targets to just pick apart Fraziers D.

They won’t fire McD after what this team went through this year, but I hop we make a change at DC.

NOTE:  Also hope we see Dorsey leave so we can get a more seasoned and creative OC in here.  No way they fire him, but hope he gets the Carolina job. 

Sadly I doubt either gets a HC job and doubt either gets fired.  

I try to shy away from post loss hot takes, but I agree. Frazier isn’t a good big game DC. Dorsey has a LOT of work to do at OC. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Because it is McDermott's defense too. He is running what McDermott wants him to run. Personally I have no issue with the scheme but it can't work when the only guys playing ball are the two linebackers and the nickel corner. The secondary has been awful this year, compared to its previous standards. No Hyde, Poyer playing on one knee, Elam only showing flashes and Tre White looking like a ghost (honestly, I would not be shocked if he retires, his heart just does not look in it at all). Early in the year we covered that up some with pass rush. Once Von went down that weapon went too. 

The fact is tonight the Bills were horrible all over the place. Defense couldn't stop the run or the pass, the Quarterback was bad, the playcalling confusing and the offensive line an abomination. 

I don't expect them to make coordinator changes..... but the secondary and the offensive line need to look very different come September. They can't just be in "run it back" mode again. Some changes have to be made. Those two units have underperformed all year. 

You have to be able to play man in the playoffs. Qbs are too good then to win with zone. If McD can’t humble up and recognize that or can’t call a man defense then he needs to bring in someone who can. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Bermuda Triangle said:

Disagree with the bolded.  I thought that the KC offense did as they pleased in the 2020 playoff game.  

True.. but the offense didn’t do much either.   And i never watched it again to know which side of the ball was worse. 

It’s easy to say “fire Frazier” but there’s a bigger issue here.  This is McDermotts defensive scheme and philosophy.

It would be like calling for Eric Bienamy’s job if the Chiefs had a rough outing.  Bienamy is calling plays for Andy Reid’s offense.

Frazier is calling plays that fit McDermotts scheme and overall philosophy.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

You are right, and the 14-0 start put the O on the back foot, but there is no excuse for them. I think their fundamentals were even worse than the defense's. 

Horrible football all around. The Bills wouldn't have beaten Houston with that performance. 

Man, people still find a way to defend the defense, albeit in a backhanded manner,

Just now, Bray Wyatt said:

You have to be able to play man in the playoffs. Qbs are too good then to win with zone. If McD can’t humble up and recognize that or can’t call a man defense then he needs to bring in someone who can. 

They drafted Elam to be able to try and play a bit more man. The problem was they ended up down to their 4th safety and the other guy on 1 knee (Poyer actually blew coverages on both the first two touchdowns), Elam only showed in flashes and I am not sure we are getting the real Tre White back.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.