We’re on to the draft!

DCofNC

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

Absolutely agree his philosophy is less than ideal, he’s continually reached for needs.  No great GM has ever said, “I took the best player available, that met the needs”.  You take BPA period.  There’s no time ever that somebody has said, sure we drafted a HOF player at X position, but it sure would have been nice to have an average player at the place of need.   He got hung up on a pas catching RB, there’s a second wasted, wanted a cover LB, there’s a wasted 3rd rounder, not to mention panicking about DB and trading away and extra pick to get the consolation prize because he wasn’t willing to go get the guy he wanted for what was basically the same cost.  This last draft was an absolute ***** show and honestly, most have gone the same way.  He gets hung up on a need and won’t budge.

2022 draft was painful, it was so clear they picked based on need. I gave them the benefit of the doubt but this draft is already looking bad. They draft Cook as a receiving back and they don’t even use him for that. Bernard was picked because his coach is buddies with McDermott, useless pick there with good talent available at that spot. 

The usage of Elam and Shakir was also baffling this year. I’m not sure if they are worse at drafting, or developing talent, neither are good though.

1 minute ago, CapeBreton said:

2022 draft was painful, it was so clear they picked based on need. I gave them the benefit of the doubt but this draft is already looking bad. They draft Cook as a receiving back and they don’t even use him for that. Bernard was picked because his coach is buddies with McDermott, useless pick there with good talent available at that spot. 

The usage of Elam and Shakir was also baffling this year. I’m not sure if they are worse at drafting, or developing talent, neither are good though.

I thought it was a good draft at the time. But you're right: it was definitely a need-based draft. The draft along with the signing of Von signified that this was a GM who thought one impact player, a few good athletes to phase into playing time, and some vet fillers on the lines would be sufficient to get the team over the top. They were wrong. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, FireChans said:

Let's draft more rotational DL who suck so we don't have to play our existing rotation DL who suck too much.

That will also allow us to use any additional roster spots up which gives any of our developmental WR’s the opportunity to try and clear waivers.

Which keeps the 7 days between games pretty exciting. 

3 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

100% offense. We have to score to try to keep up w/ the Bengals, cause that D w/ all those assets & coaches will never ever ever get it done.

Yep, this is where I’m at. If you can’t stop Cinci with White, Poyer, Elam, Milano, Edmunds, then we aren’t going to do it with another CB drafted in the 1st. If this draft isn’t a star WR and an oline smorgasbord then Beane needs fired. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.