Should Sean Payton get a phone call?

SCBills

This reminds me of my beloved Everton FC in the Premier League - perhaps a cautionary tale for some Bills Mafia (apologies for the long-read)

Back in 2002 Everton hired a manager (Head Coach to you guys) called David Moyes. He was an up and coming young manager with ginger hair, stern demeanour and a defensive mindset. He took over a club in a mess, with scant financial resources, and started building. 

Over the next decade he took Everton from being a bottom half of the table team, flirting with relegation, to being pretty much always in the top 6 teams in the league and challenging for trophies. He produced miracles in the transfer market, constantly signing young players at just the right time - or rescuing players from the scrap heap and revitalising their careers - turning them into highly sought after world stars and selling them for big profits.

But the thing was, Everton kept falling JUST short of true success. They would get to semi-finals and even finals and find ways to lose. Often, fans would blame Moyes and his negative tactics. In one FA Cup final Everton took the lead after just 27 seconds - but tried to defend for the rest of the match and lost 2-1. 

The general outcry from the fans was that Moyes had taken Everton as far as he could - we'd never get to the promised land of a trophy/Champions League qualification because he was just not offensive enough and didn't have what it took to get the team over the line. Eventually, in 2012, he left - to go and manage Manchester United. And a new manager came in - Roberto Martinez. In his first season - building on 10 years of great squad building by Moyes, Martinez's team was brilliant - achieving Everton's best ever points total in the Premier League, and playing some great football. Finally the fans were being proved right - Moyes had been holding the team back - Martinez would lead them to glory. Except he didn't - for all the improvement in our football that first season, the team still only finished 5th in the league.

And over the next few years, things declined very quickly. Whilst playing nice attractive football, Martinez simply didn't have what it took in terms of player recruitment. He made some spectacularly bad purchases, and the squad got weaker and weaker, never again getting close to the level Moyes had them. Martinez was eventually sacked, and since then Everton have basically circled the Premier League drain, hiring and firing a series of bad managers (and losing the odd good one to bigger clubs), and making some of the worst recruitment decisions you could ever begin to imagine. Frankly, it's been a long, slow car crash since Moyes left.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you have to consider the whole picture, when it comes to McDermott. Without a doubt there are super-frustrating things about some of his decisions - including his backing of his DC and OC who have blown in a big way in big playoff games - and to some extent mistakes McDermott and his team have made have probably held this team back from a Superbowl.

But, overall, the journey the Bills have been on since he came in is undeniably a positive one. We are light years away from the tyre fire he inherited, and the way he and his staff have changed the culture and expectation level of the Bills Mafia is incredible. With some obvious exceptions, good recruitment decisions have been made, and will continue to be made. You feel this squad will be there or there abouts in the playoff mix every season. And as long as we're in that mix, hopefully our ducks will line up and that glory year will come.

I'm not saying there's not a better coach out there - but just that the grass isn't always greener, and I think it's a massive risk/assumption that someone would just come in and take over and do a much better job. There's as much chance - if not higher - that the next guy takes us backwards rather than getting us over the line and into a Superbowl and winning a Lombardi.

Personally, my preference would be to make changes at OC and/or DC and trust McBeane to recruit some of the missing pieces we desperately need this offseason.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, VaMilBill said:

I agree. McD is in a tough situation where Frazier needs to go and we can’t waste Josh’s career waiting for Dorsey to figure it out. Which means two coordinators should probably be gone. 

honestly, I think we should give McD two more years with the idea that he hires two new coordinators. 

Agree with this completely. McD and Beane built the Bills into contenders from perennial losers. He needs to hire experienced coordinators w/ proven track records to right this ship as fast as they can while Allen is still in his prime. I know I’ll get ***** for this, but I hope they at least do their due diligence on Greg Roman. Josh needs a stronger running game to take the pressure off of him. Get a couple beast O-Lineman and this offense can look totally different next season. 

• Like (+1) 1

So we are aware that Sean Payton only made it further than Sean McDermott once in his entire career right?  He did that with a better QB than McDermott has right now, correct?

Only 1 team can win the Super Bowl.  It sucks, and I am not sure the Bills will ever win one.  But changing for the sake of changing is weak.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Agree with this completely. McD and Beane built the Bills into contenders from perennial losers. He needs to hire experienced coordinators w/ proven track records to right this ship as fast as they can while Allen is still in his prime. I know I’ll get ***** for this, but I hope they at least do their due diligence on Greg Roman. Josh needs a stronger running game to take the pressure off of him. Get a couple beast O-Lineman and this offense can look totally different next season. 

I do worry how Roman would treat Josh. Afraid he would run josh into the dirt and shorten his career. 

I think McD knows his seat is hot. He knows he needs movement. If he ties himself to Frazier and maybe even Dorsey, he is going down with them too. 

Uncle Rico was fired after one season after McDs first year because he clearly didn’t have the propensity to coordinate a good offense. Hopefully McD realizes this with Josh as well. Josh needs better 

I want the best Bill Belichick give New England Patriots a number one pick I don’t care get him. He is worth it at least the Buffalo Bills will be prepared to play football or you are gone. Bill Belichick is needed after a soft head coach in Sean McDermott with feelings. The Buffalo media won’t be able to play games either Bill Belichick press conferences are gold hire him for the Bills. Ask Bill Belichick if he can coach hockey the Buffalo Sabres need a harder coach than Don Granato in my opinion. Go Bills! Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

I do worry how Roman would treat Josh. Afraid he would run josh into the dirt and shorten his career. 

I think McD knows his seat is hot. He knows he needs movement. If he ties himself to Frazier and maybe even Dorsey, he is going down with them too. 

Uncle Rico was fired after one season after McDs first year because he clearly didn’t have the propensity to coordinate a good offense. Hopefully McD realizes this with Josh as well. Josh needs better 

They’re already running Josh into the dirt with the current coordinator. Might as well get production from the running backs while they’re doing it. 

5 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

So we are aware that Sean Payton only made it further than Sean McDermott once in his entire career right?  He did that with a better QB than McDermott has right now, correct?

Only 1 team can win the Super Bowl.  It sucks, and I am not sure the Bills will ever win one.  But changing for the sake of changing is weak.

I agree with your point, but the bolded is completely debatable. 

18 minutes ago, BritishBill said:

This reminds me of my beloved Everton FC in the Premier League - perhaps a cautionary tale for some Bills Mafia (apologies for the long-read)

Back in 2002 Everton hired a manager (Head Coach to you guys) called David Moyes. He was an up and coming young manager with ginger hair, stern demeanour and a defensive mindset. He took over a club in a mess, with scant financial resources, and started building. 

Over the next decade he took Everton from being a bottom half of the table team, flirting with relegation, to being pretty much always in the top 6 teams in the league and challenging for trophies. He produced miracles in the transfer market, constantly signing young players at just the right time - or rescuing players from the scrap heap and revitalising their careers - turning them into highly sought after world stars and selling them for big profits.

But the thing was, Everton kept falling JUST short of true success. They would get to semi-finals and even finals and find ways to lose. Often, fans would blame Moyes and his negative tactics. In one FA Cup final Everton took the lead after just 27 seconds - but tried to defend for the rest of the match and lost 2-1. 

The general outcry from the fans was that Moyes had taken Everton as far as he could - we'd never get to the promised land of a trophy/Champions League qualification because he was just not offensive enough and didn't have what it took to get the team over the line. Eventually, in 2012, he left - to go and manage Manchester United. And a new manager came in - Roberto Martinez. In his first season - building on 10 years of great squad building by Moyes, Martinez's team was brilliant - achieving Everton's best ever points total in the Premier League, and playing some great football. Finally the fans were being proved right - Moyes had been holding the team back - Martinez would lead them to glory. Except he didn't - for all the improvement in our football that first season, the team still only finished 5th in the league.

And over the next few years, things declined very quickly. Whilst playing nice attractive football, Martinez simply didn't have what it took in terms of player recruitment. He made some spectacularly bad purchases, and the squad got weaker and weaker, never again getting close to the level Moyes had them. Martinez was eventually sacked, and since then Everton have basically circled the Premier League drain, hiring and firing a series of bad managers (and losing the odd good one to bigger clubs), and making some of the worst recruitment decisions you could ever begin to imagine. Frankly, it's been a long, slow car crash since Moyes left.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you have to consider the whole picture, when it comes to McDermott. Without a doubt there are super-frustrating things about some of his decisions - including his backing of his DC and OC who have blown in a big way in big playoff games - and to some extent mistakes McDermott and his team have made have probably held this team back from a Superbowl.

But, overall, the journey the Bills have been on since he came in is undeniably a positive one. We are light years away from the tyre fire he inherited, and the way he and his staff have changed the culture and expectation level of the Bills Mafia is incredible. With some obvious exceptions, good recruitment decisions have been made, and will continue to be made. You feel this squad will be there or there abouts in the playoff mix every season. And as long as we're in that mix, hopefully our ducks will line up and that glory year will come.

I'm not saying there's not a better coach out there - but just that the grass isn't always greener, and I think it's a massive risk/assumption that someone would just come in and take over and do a much better job. There's as much chance - if not higher - that the next guy takes us backwards rather than getting us over the line and into a Superbowl and winning a Lombardi.

Personally, my preference would be to make changes at OC and/or DC and trust McBeane to recruit some of the missing pieces we desperately need this offseason.

We could do exactly as you suggest and there would be a good chance that it would be enough to take us over the top. But at the same time can you really convince yourself that McD has ever been the difference by making a brilliant call mid game that has WON us a game? I actually thought this time last year after the KC loss and the 13 seconds debacle that McD singlehandedly created, that the Bills should have onside kicked to KC at the start of overtime and at least attempted to recover the ball to win the game because there was no chance in hell we were going to stop them on defense. But of course McD would never do that in a million years. Would other coaches have the balls to do that? In the end if we are going to win despite McD as we seem to do often do and he doesnt offer us anything with his poor game management, then what is the point for keeping him. I dont think he gets canned because Mcbeane doesnt throw him under the bus but todays loss wasnt just on the Bills being beaten up and undermanned it was on the Bills having no coherent defensive plan, no adjustable offensive plan and not being mentally ready. Its up to McD to get all that ready and today he failed spectacularly.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

Why you still on this coaching staffs hype..you still trusting that process? How about you stop..we just witnessed our team get flat outcoached in the playoffs for the 4th time they have been there

I’m not. I just know there is a zero chance of it happening. The bills will not be giving up drafts picks for a coach when they love the one they have.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.