Advice on cooking wings in air fryer

Miyagi-Do Karate

I have dusted off my air fryer and going to try to cook wings in it for the first time in a few years before the game. Any advice or recommendations or recipes? 

I have never had much success cooking wings (other than deep frying). My oven wings come out too stringy and not crispy.  And I usually don’t try the air fryer because the space is limited, and they were so-so last time I tried. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, PastaJoe said:

My experience with air frying wings is that it takes too much moisture out of them so they end up shrunken and dried out. 

This sounds a bit like my grilled wings, but for some reason they are still great to eat even if they are not winning a beauty contest. My neighbor from WNY thought they tasted great, too! 

The wife got an air fryer at one point, and it has disappeared along with so many other kitchen devices that seemed like a good idea in the moment. 

8 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Thanks for the tips! 

I did some in the air fryer (using corn starch) and some fried up in a pan. Both turned out crispy.

You realize now you have to deliver, rights?   😋

I’ve never tried corn starch. Do you just shake it in a bag with the wings before starting? 

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

kind of just had a bowl of corn starch and dry spices and rolled the wings in there. Did it with the ones I regular fried too. 

I have NEVER fried wings. Go figure!  The oil mess is my obstacle, I guess. How do you dispose of it?

On 1/22/2023 at 2:00 PM, Augie said:

I have NEVER fried wings. Go figure!  The oil mess is my obstacle, I guess. How do you dispose of it?

My deep fryer has a little tap.  I just save the container that the oil (I use peanut oil) comes in, let the oil cool overnight, then empty the oil from the fryer directly into the container.  And that goes right into my recycle bin.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/22/2023 at 1:50 PM, Augie said:

The wife got an air fryer at one point, and it has disappeared along with so many other kitchen devices that seemed like a good idea in the moment. 

Landfill?  Goodwill?  Relatives finagle the appliances out of you? 

Reminds me of the time my coffee maker died.  "No problem!" says I to Bride the Second.  "I have a new and unused one at my house in the box in the cupboard."  So I thought, my son had appropriated it as the workshop coffee maker at the golf course he worked at the time. 🤨

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

40 minutes ago, Gugny said:

My deep fryer has a little tap.  I just save the container that the oil (I use peanut oil) comes in, let the oil cool overnight, then empty the oil from the fryer directly into the container.  And that goes right into my recycle bin.

No need to recycle it - just take it over to Popeyes so they can use it. 

• Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Landfill?  Goodwill?  Relatives finagle the appliances out of you? 

Reminds me off the time my coffee maker died.  "No problem!" says I to Bride the Second.  "I have a new and unused one at my house in the box in the cupboard."  So I thought, my son had appropriated it as the workshop coffee maker at the golf course he worked at the time. 🤨

We moved about a year ago. My car knows the way to Goodwill. It was several trips every week for a while there. 

On 1/22/2023 at 2:41 PM, That's No Moon said:

I'm going to repurpose my turkey fryer at some point in the near future so I can do a big batch all at once.

I believe @Guffalo uses a turkey fryer for his wings.  

On 1/22/2023 at 1:50 PM, Augie said:

Check out the Ninja® Foodi™ Digital Air Fry Oven.  We got one a couple years ago and use it multiple times a week, so much that we rarely use the regular oven anymore.  

Edited by Just Jack
  • Like (+1) 1

I will use the air fryer on occasions when we have a smaller group. I find if you spray the wings with a little avocado oil on them, you can get a nice crisp skin, with juicy insides. I still use my double deep fryer for larger groups. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

My son and I grill wings every home game. Used to par boil them to help expedite cooking and not dry them out.

Now I Sous Vide them.  Grilling time is cut in half and they come out super juicy.  Figure that would work for air frying also.

As for deep frying, have the Butterball XL for turkeys.  Deep fry them in peanut oil, comes out perfect.  Has a spout on the back, just strain right back into the oil container.  Can use several times until it becomes dirty.

Spray wings lightly with olive oil.  Cook on 270 for 17 mins.  Put themin fridge for a couple of hours or so.  Spray wings lightly again with olive oil. Cook a second time at highest setting. 390 degrees for another 17 minutes.  The time varies depending on how many wings you have or how big.  Enjoy

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.