Bengals @ Bills - Post Game Thread - January 22, 2023 - NFL Divisional Round Playoffs

BuffaloBill

12 hours ago, Simon said:

I think it could, if it was coached that way.

Long time, hoss; hope all is well. :beer:

Hey, bro. Been a long time indeed.

What I meant was if the design is "small and quick" then there isn't a lot you can do in the moment adjusting scheme wise when the field is a skating rink. Whether that is a good design and whether its good coaching to not have an answer to that in Orchard Park, NY is completely wide open for debate. (Add that the design is trouble with AFC North teams anyway, since they are built to play smashmouth on both sides of the ball; to compete with the Ravens and Steelers, it's what you have to do.)

Josh hides and compensates for a lot of flaws, like an OL that periodically can't pass pro or run block and a defense that can be pushed around.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Scumbags

I am not getting bent out of shape, I am old and mature enough to know what goes around inevitably comes around. I stopped talking smack years ago for this very reason.

That comment will result in a safe being dropped on his head down the road, he cannot undo that.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Bruffalo said:

Two days removed and I'm still gutted by it.  It feels worse than the 13 seconds loss. 

Imho, 13 seconds was much much worse. That should have NEVER happened. The Bills were the better team. 

The Cinci game was a thrashing, A$$ whipping, beat down, etc...They were the better team by miles. The score felt like 47 to 10 not 27-10. It was over fairly early. This game was easier to swallow for those reasons. Tip your hat to the Bengals they earned the win. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

11 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Imho, 13 seconds was much much worse. That should have NEVER happened. The Bills were the better team. 

The Cinci game was a thrashing, A$$ whipping, beat down, etc...They were the better team by miles. The score felt like 47 to 10 not 27-10. It was over fairly early. This game was easier to swallow for those reasons. Tip your hat to the Bengals they earned the win. 

Agreed, I'm a season ticket holder and was over the loss before the game was over. The better team won, 13 seconds was rough...Took weeks for me. 

Edited by Awwufelloff
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

It definitely should have never happened, but I felt better about the team and our prospects moving forward. 

With how ugly this loss was, and how utterly unprepared the coaching staff seemingly was, I just don't feel good about the state of the team. The Bills will still be good, but until the coordinators get shipped out I don't trust the coaches to get this team into the best positions to win games.

Edited by Bruffalo
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, technobot said:

To all the haters, I raise my glass. Nothing can kill my love for the Bills but you guys were right, enjoy our misery. There's a lot to be done but not quite sure of what will be done and if we have the will or even the resources to do what's necessary. For me, it's starts with enough of this Cam Netwon/Big Ben/Andrew Luck bull***t where getting our QB (one of our only superstars) smoked every game is some kind of deviant fetish we're obsessed with and applaud. Protect him while there's still a chance. Get him more weapons so he doesn't feel like we have to do everything, because he simply does.

I'd really like to see the term, "hater" applied to people who highlight easily anticipated problems to die.  Permanently.  It's a clown term to separate fans into 1 of 2 camps and there's no way to make it a binary issue, i.e. pro or anti-team.  Perhaps you're using it somewhat casually, but it's hard to discern intent on a message board.

Aside from that, good post. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I agree. The issue with the Bills is really two fold. It's on both the coaches and the players. The coaches lack the ability to win deep into the playoffs. Their game plans and adjustments are inferior to their opponents. 

The Bills lack talent on both sides of the ball in the trenches. They are soft, light, and vulnerable to being pushed around. Hard to win playoff game vs good teams with holes on both lines. Beane has whiffed badly with his DL drafts. The Bills organization has made poor decisions with regards to their Oline. It's been problematic for years. I will just stop here because they are more concerns. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 1/24/2023 at 2:47 AM, IndyMark said:

Agreed!  Again, he seems like a really good dude but he is so dependent on other things to be a game changer particularly for a top 10 pick.  Top ten picks should be disruptors on their own.  He totaled zero tackles yesterday and 1 assist.  Against 3 back up OL.  Was he doubled teamed? Sure at times but not every snap and against back ups as well.

Sure we all remember his game against the Lions this year and Saints last year - he was a force.  However, to me that is the precise issue, you can recall and nail down the exact two games he dominated over 2 seasons (33/34 games).  That tells me all I need to know about how to prioritize him remaining with the Bills. 

If we are being honest, he is replaceable; a JAG as they say.  Beane will be considered a wizard of epic proportions if he can find a trade partner for Ed and get anything below (5th, 4th, 3rd....) a 6th round pick. 50% turnover on the DL; this is what I speculate. 

In the right systems with the right supporting cast these players may shine more than here, BUT the Bills have some changes they need to make.

Those changes will be set back quite a ways if they fall into the trap of overpaying to keep potentially replaceable talent instead of finding similar talent for cheaper or shorter term deals on their roster.

Even Edmunds who flies all over the field, gets in the way of passes, and makes tackles all over the second level. The team has to ask, do you break the bank?

The questions surrounding Edmunds has been his ability to diagnose plays in the backfield, shed blocks to get in position to make plays, and the low number of impact plays... INTs, forced fumbles, sacks, and TFLs for the amount of snaps he takes.

Other than that, he covers a lot of ground, is a great tackling safety net for the team, and deterrent to QBs trying to pass where they are staring... QBs like Burrows and Mahomes do a better job moving him out of the way with their eyes.

In Frazier's current scheme this team admittedly felt it when Edmunds was not on the field.

They are both above average players, but is that enough to justify being locked into a long-term cap hits?

I am sure Beane wanted nothing more than to have rings on the fingers of every player before having to make the tough decisions.

Don't envy his position this offseason.

Edited by WideNine

2 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

Two days removed and I'm still gutted by it.  It feels worse than the 13 seconds loss. 

After that loss, there was hope. The offense was lighting it up. Gabe Davis was on fire. It gave us the thought that we had most of the pieces. A few tweaks on defense and the offensive line, and we all thought this was the year. I was completely invested in the offseason last year. 

This loss is the icing on a cake that was getting stale and moldy as the year went on. The defense continued to give up monster plays, the offense turned average. Then the mistakes started piling up. A wins a win. You need them to be successful. But how you win, or how you lose, matters. 

The team's regressing. Lots of question marks. I don't know. Maybe this is what the team and fans needed. Smack us back down to earth. Unfortunately, I've always thought A Buffalo team would have to be absolutely dominant to win it all. I never thought we were lucky enough to go in as an underdog and shock the world. 

I'll be much less glued to the Bills this offseason. I'll check in from time to time. That's all I got now. 

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

I'd really like to see the term, "hater" applied to people who highlight easily anticipated problems to die.  Permanently.  It's a clown term to separate fans into 1 of 2 camps and there's no way to make it a binary issue, i.e. pro or anti-team.  Perhaps you're using it somewhat casually, but it's hard to discern intent on a message board.

Aside from that, good post. 

I'll respond to you and WideNine said the same thing. That hater callout was for an obvious troll, who is gone, but who happened to be right.

Bills fans being critical of their team is not hate, I never once said that. Ask my wife how critical I am of her, my kids, myself. Terrible person I am but I don't hate my family.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

After that loss, there was hope. The offense was lighting it up. Gabe Davis was on fire. It gave us the thought that we had most of the pieces. A few tweaks on defense and the offensive line, and we all thought this was the year. I was completely invested in the offseason last year. 

This loss is the icing on a cake that was getting stale and moldy as the year went on. The defense continued to give up monster plays, the offense turned average. Then the mistakes started piling up. A wins a win. You need them to be successful. But how you win, or how you lose, matters. 

The team's regressing. Lots of question marks. I don't know. Maybe this is what the team and fans needed. Smack us back down to earth. Unfortunately, I've always thought A Buffalo team would have to be absolutely dominant to win it all. I never thought we were lucky enough to go in as an underdog and shock the world. 

I'll be much less glued to the Bills this offseason. I'll check in from time to time. That's all I got now. 

Right there with ya.

Not really feeling any joy in being right about this team, but I do feel that folks are more receptive to the comment you made above.

I felt like McD was trying to preach this message in his post game locker room speech after Miami. That they could not keep playing sloppy football and expect to win.

Then Allen stepped in and said something like any way you can win...

An ugly win means there are things that need to be cleaned up. Enjoy your "W", but know and embrace that there is work to be done and that the same effort and execution may not cut it against a different opponent.

Not saying he lost the team, just that I think there was a disconnect in regards to the urgency needed to clean things up; A complacency that things would somehow always work out, they would get a stop, or a bounce, or Allen would magic a come back....

I am not in that "fire them all" place, I remember too well how Wade was ran out of town and how long the Bills sucked after that knee-jerk decision by Ralph.

I do recognized this year that we took a step back on offensive consistency, with turnovers and stalled drives, and on defense.

Injuries on defense certainly took a toll, so not certain how much that factors into their slide. The secondary was certainly impacted.

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

I agree.  13 seconds is a game we had no business losing.  Mahomes didnt do anything great in those 13 seconds to win the game.  We had a complete collapse even after time outs.  That should never freaking happen ever.

On the flip side this game was one we had no business winning.  They just kicked our ass.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This game is much easier to get over because when you just get beat up on, it's easier to see we weren't doing anything this winter. The chiefs game gave me nightmares for the next 9 months. Literal nightmares. I'm already over this one. 

We are never as invincible as we feel when things go well (Bengals fans will learn this at some point like we did after 2020) and things are never as doomed as they feel when they don't. 

Philly had no business playing in a playoff game 12 months ago when Tampa smoked them. They look like the best team I've seen in a decade just 12 months later. The Bills don't need half that much improvement to be playing next February. Everything is on the table for them, they just have to grab it. 

Edited by arcane
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, ngbills said:

Was Dorsey preoccupied with the CAR interview? Still having trouble understanding how the team was that unprepared on offense. 

It's a good question. 

On the other hand, Brian Callahan (Bengals OC) was announced to have the Colts request an interview last Weds and to have completed his HC interview by Friday.  So it's not as though Dorsey was prepping for an interview while Callahan wasn't.  Maybe the timing was a factor.

18 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

It's a good question. 

On the other hand, Brian Callahan (Bengals OC) was announced to have the Colts request an interview last Weds and to have completed his HC interview by Friday.  So it's not as though Dorsey was prepping for an interview while Callahan wasn't.  Maybe the timing was a factor.

Callahan doesn't call the plays. In fact, I'm not quite sure what he does.

Edited by FrenchConnection
Typo
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ngbills said:

Was Dorsey preoccupied with the CAR interview? Still having trouble understanding how the team was that unprepared on offense. 

Lou Anarumo took him to the woodshed. It was actually embarrassing how bad of a mismatch it was. The playoffs are a whole different ballgame. Dorsey's inexperience and lack of creativity was exposed. 

• Agree 1

I guess I shoulda' of' come earlier to this very thread in the board! I am feeling way better now! after just scrolling a couple of pages.

In the offseason after the 13 you know what...I have promised myself to come back only after a big win in the 57 Big Bowl,

so I could spare myself of the "split" mode on the board... however I see myself coming here... will become the therapy I need to afford

the (long) wait until SB 58 🙃

Just now, BuffaL0L0k0 said:

I guess I shoulda' of' come earlier to this very thread in the board! I am feeling way better now! after just scrolling a couple of pages.

In the offseason after the 13 you know what...I have promised myself to come back only after a big win in the 57 Big Bowl,

so I could spare myself of the "split" mode on the board... however I see myself coming here... will become the therapy I need to afford

the (long) wait until SB 58 🙃

and... LET'S GO BILLS!!! CHINGAó

7 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Lou Anarumo took him to the woodshed. It was actually embarrassing how bad of a mismatch it was. The playoffs are a whole different ballgame. Dorsey's inexperience and lack of creativity was exposed. 

YES! but let's give the guy the benefit of the doubt, the previous playoff loses fell all down in Dabol's shoulders, Ken D can only go up from here!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.