Bengals @ Bills - Post Game Thread - January 22, 2023 - NFL Divisional Round Playoffs

BuffaloBill

24 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

Bottom line is if you wanna play a lot of zone you better be able to get pressure with 4. We were screwed when von went down

The Bills scheme has to have impact 1-tech defensive tackles to work.

They absorb the double-teams, hold or push the line, and free up the Oliver's to penetrate and be disruptive.

One of the biggest issues we had getting push from our DL in the past is that we were stuck over-paying for a declining Star who was a no show one season.

DaQuan Jones fit that bill perfectly this year, and was the 1-tech we needed to get this line to work. He was out on Sunday and you could see how quickly we went straight to suck with Milano and Edmunds getting swallowed up by blockers downfield.

We have a bevy of DTs that I think fit the 3-tech mold, but 1-tech after Jones...maybe only Phillips if he was playing with more than one arm and with two functional hammys.

For this defense they need to have two solid starting 1-tech DTs. I like Jones... he's a keeper, so there's one, another starting quality 1-tech , for rotation, and a practice squad 1-tech they could sub in if someone gets dinged.

At DE we had Von, Groot, and Epenesa who has not done enough to justify where he was picked.

Edited by WideNine
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, WideNine said:

They absorb the double-teams, hold or push the line, and free up the Oliver's to penetrate and be disruptive.

DaQuan Jones fit that bill perfectly this year, and was the 1-tech we needed to get this line to work.

Oliver was drawing a C/G combo all day long; the multiple injuries up front were probably the biggest reason the Bills are booking tee times right now.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, RandomBengalFan said:

Just F off with the criminals post.  Does it make your ***** feel better? Joe Mixon had an issue as a college kid, girl calls him a racial slur and struck him, yes he reacted badly, you never hit a girl.  But to label the Bengals thugs and criminals is ridiculous. 

Fact is, they have a great lockeroom, guys love to be here and be around each other.  They voluntarily stay in the building and do work, when they are given time off even.

Zac Taylor has created a great atmosphere.  Mixon has been a great guy and a good citizen, all about team, always unselfish.  No thugs here since Burfict.

We just have guys here who love to play ball.  Got ripped here for saying we should be the 2 seed.  I felt like we could win on the road.  And knew the team would play with a chip on its shoulder. 

Feel bad for your players, your coaching staff let them down. We came prepared on offense and defense.  I did not bet the first meeting, didn't know what to expect.  But after seeing the few series of the fateful Monday night game, felt pretty good about how we matched up. Took the Bengals on the alt spread of +3.5 for +116 odds, tool the Jags +10.5, among some other picks, Boston Bruins, Atletico Madrid.  Anyway, Bengals won me 6.5k.  Sorry to rub salt.

Sorry about your loss and better luck next year.  Just don't call our players thugs because we were too physical for you, that's just how AFC North games are, Ravens would of beat you too with their backup QB, he's not bad either.  You guys kind of mocked us for that.  Take care all, hope you fix your issues in the off-season.  McDermott is not the guy.

Thugs

11 minutes ago, RandomBengalFan said:

All I'm saying is, what he is saying and you are saying is false.  "Because the Bengals are willing to do that" he said.

Not thugs on this team football players, just good players.  Unselfish ones too, they could care less about pro bowl, they are team oriented.

Cam Taylor-Britt was drafted 2nd round, forced into duty because of injury, guy produced.  Had his lumps, keeps getting better.  Our lockeroom is full of high character guys, call them cocky or whatever, they just love to ball.  I wasn't the one being an ahole, just defending my team.

You are being defensive over nothing.  The poster is saying that the team is willing to overlook a guy punching a girl in the face to get a good football player. That is a true statement.  The guy punched a girl in the face. The team didnt care and drafted him.  He didnt say anything about your team being full of thugs.  

The poster is practically commending your team for putting together a good football team and you are here taking ***** out of context.  There are some people maybe weeks ago, maybe even this this week that were doing what you claim of this post but you chose the wrong post to get all defensive about.

Enjoy your win.  Good luck the rest of the way.  I hope you win it all.  Stop being a dick in my house because yes you were being one.  Self reflect your post and maybe you'll see it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

You are being defensive over nothing.  The poster is saying that the team is willing to overlook a guy punching a girl in the face to get a good football player. That is a true statement.  The guy punched a girl in the face. The team didnt care and drafted him.  He didnt say anything about your team being full of thugs.  

The poster is practically commending your team for putting together a good football team and you are here taking ***** out of context.  There are some people maybe weeks ago, maybe even this this week that were doing what you claim of this post but you chose the wrong post to get all defensive about.

Enjoy your win.  Good luck the rest of the way.  I hope you win it all.  Stop being a dick in my house because yes you were being one.  Self reflect your post and maybe you'll see it.

Scott,

I really appreciate the support.  Kansas City will not be easy even with an injured Mahomes.  And both Phily and San Fran very good.

I sincerely hope you get your coaching and roster sorted out.  Because I really like Josh Allen, like to see him succeed.  Root for you guys when we are not playing.  NFL is more fun when Buffalo is playing well and winning the East.   As a Cincinnati fan you get tired of hearing that narrative, because of Burfict or Pacman Jones(who did adopt Chris Henry's kids, not all bad)

Oh and BTW, I was disgusted with what Eli Apple was doing on the sideline.  I do not like or condone that.  We don't have any db's left so guess gotta live with it.  But sorry for that 👍

Edited by RandomBengalFan
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/22/2023 at 6:54 PM, Sisyphean Bills said:

Not really coaching. We're just not good enough in the trenches and the defensive secondary was decimated. Both the OL and DL were underwhelming and got overwhelmed far too often. I don't think this team was built to play in snow and slush, which is odd, but there it is.

I think it could, if it was coached that way.

Long time, hoss; hope all is well. :beer:

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

It feels like the game never even happened. The Bills never showed up. How can a team be so completely unprepared for a home playoff game. It was as if there was no game planning at all. Just go out there and do the same thing you do every week. I blame the coaches mostly. The players were unprepared and the game plans sucked.

I need to add that McD is just not a very bright guy. I think he needs someone with a brain nearby to think for him during the game. He looked so stupid going for it on that 4th down instead of taking the fg. It wasn't just that it was obviously the wrong decision, he had the ***** stupidest look on his face while he was making it. The week before he looked completely ridiculous jumping up and down insisting the Bills had scored when the whole world knew that they hadn't. He couldn't challenge within 2 min so he wasted a timeout thinking they would see he was right.  During 13 secs he looked completely lost like his brain had froze and he couldn't process what was happening in real time. Deer in the headlights.

Unfortunately I'm not expecting any changes.

I'm pissed off about yesterday as well. But, you know this how? 

1 hour ago, RandomBengalFan said:

Just F off with the criminals post.  Does it make your ***** feel better? Joe Mixon had an issue as a college kid, girl calls him a racial slur and struck him, yes he reacted badly, you never hit a girl.  But to label the Bengals thugs and criminals is ridiculous. 

Fact is, they have a great lockeroom, guys love to be here and be around each other.  They voluntarily stay in the building and do work, when they are given time off even.

Zac Taylor has created a great atmosphere.  Mixon has been a great guy and a good citizen, all about team, always unselfish.  No thugs here since Burfict.

We just have guys here who love to play ball.  Got ripped here for saying we should be the 2 seed.  I felt like we could win on the road.  And knew the team would play with a chip on its shoulder. 

Feel bad for your players, your coaching staff let them down. We came prepared on offense and defense.  I did not bet the first meeting, didn't know what to expect.  But after seeing the few series of the fateful Monday night game, felt pretty good about how we matched up. Took the Bengals on the alt spread of +3.5 for +116 odds, tool the Jags +10.5, among some other picks, Boston Bruins, Atletico Madrid.  Anyway, Bengals won me 6.5k.  Sorry to rub salt.

Sorry about your loss and better luck next year.  Just don't call our players thugs because we were too physical for you, that's just how AFC North games are, Ravens would of beat you too with their backup QB, he's not bad either.  You guys kind of mocked us for that.  Take care all, hope you fix your issues in the off-season.  McDermott is not the guy.

Scumbags

• Vomit 1

3 hours ago, RandomBengalFan said:

Your team is dirty and you draft low quality people. Get over it, and when you lose whether it’s next week or the Super Bowl come back so we can laugh at you. It doesn’t matter that you may have gone further, you are not winning it all. It took a well timed fumble for you to beat the Ravens. 

17 hours ago, Simon said:

Oliver was drawing a C/G combo all day long; the multiple injuries up front were probably the biggest reason the Bills are booking tee times right now.

That's part of the problem. I think their really should be no excuses to why the Bills dline couldn't and didn't pressure Burrow. They had no answer for stopping the run either. Honestly, they were manhandled by second stringers. If that doesn't alarm you then nothing will. Boogie and AJ are just back ups at best. A dime a dozen sort of speak. Rousseau and Oliver are not dependable. I hope the Bills let Oliver walk. He's not worth any kind of deal. He's undersized and shows a flash here or there.  The injury excuse just doesn't cut it. Let's hold players and coaches accountable rather than lame excuses. 

The Oline equally got manhandled by a team that mostly rushed only 3 or 4. However, they threw in timely blitzes which were extremely effective. Quite the opposite of the Bills performance. 

The Bills organization has a lot of work to do to improve this team. Quickly a Super Bowl appearance looks more distant as the days pass. Luckily, the Bills have Allen but as we've seen even he can't do it all by himself. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, technobot said:

Late to the "party" and apologies if what I'm about to post has been said ad nauseum (confident it has but here we go):

Really needed that game as a fan. I don't have the anger from the 13 seconds debacle, this is totally different because I had to be shown, as a fan, that the haters were right and this team is simply not in the same tier as the Bengals or the Chiefs... guessing 9ers and Eagles as well.

It's a good team, with good players and a transcendent QB, but as Chris Simms' commentary got to, we don't have enough star power. Paraphrasing "when the play breaks down, you just beat your guy". We don't have enough of that. And then Josh has to try to play Superman but mama said there would be days like yesterday and he gets his ass kicked instead.

Allen is going to be a meteor at this rate. We're seeing the Cam Newton treatment all over again, with some Big and some Andrew Luck is sprinkled n there. Our guy will not have a long or productive career because he's being used as a battering ram and will degrade, quickly. 

Everything about the bargain bin o-line, boundary receivers depth... the prophecies were true. Badol said in another thread that maybe we're the Chargers of the mid-late 2000s and that's what I saw yesterday. I'm sure everyone watched the same thing: a better team, with better stars simply beating a lesser opponent into submission. I made the point to a friend about our "relationship" with the Patriots now: the games will be close but until they address the talent gap, assuming we don't try to throw the game away like the first Dolphins game, we will simply overpower them because we are the bigger, stronger "man".

Well that's what the Bengals did to us. That game could have been 54-10 the way they were moving the ball at will. I couldn't even fault Romo and Nantz for turning so viciously on the Bills because they're right, and they wanted to dissociate themselves from a fraudulent juggernaut.

Everyone sucked. We had chances to score, and we didn't, but it wouldn't have mattered. The Bengals would have put up more points and continue controlling the game. The game I watched was literally over after the first quarter. What a time to have our only "got our heads handed to us game" of the entire season, but it's what it is. The canary was in the coal mine with the life or death struggles that we had against, quite frankly, lesser opponents. As we are not in the Bengals' tier, that weak opposition: Jets with literally no QB, Browns, Lions, Miami with their 3rd QB... (the list goes on)... shouldn't be in our tier.

I sincerely hope the Bengals win it all. None of you know me, but my friends will attest that I surely drank the Kool-aid, and now, at the end, do I have crystal clarity that of course the Bengals should feel so disrespected. All this talk of the Bills and Josh Allen all offseason and well into the regular season when they're the defending f***ing conference champions. You want to talk motivation? We were 13 seconds away from going to the AFCC. They were minutes away from winning the whole f***ing thing, and had a chance on the final play. 

To all the haters, I raise my glass. Nothing can kill my love for the Bills but you guys were right, enjoy our misery. There's a lot to be done but not quite sure of what will be done and if we have the will or even the resources to do what's necessary. For me, it's starts with enough of this Cam Netwon/Big Ben/Andrew Luck bull***t where getting our QB (one of our only superstars) smoked every game is some kind of deviant fetish we're obsessed with and applaud. Protect him while there's still a chance. Get him more weapons so he doesn't feel like we have to do everything, because he simply does.

I love McDermott for the turnaround he engineered for this sorry franchise, however, as a defensive guy you're going to have to do with less. So much money and resources spent on the defense and the same things happens every year: trampled by championship caliber offenses. Hey, losing Hyde and Miller and not having Daquan Jones last night obviously sucked but everyone's got injuries. The guys we lined up against were missing 3/5 of their starting offensive line and still pushed us around like we were a college team. How would we have fared with 3 of our lineman out? Frazier was part of the loving culture and foundation as well but he simply must go. We need new ideas on defense, and offense. Maybe Dorsey gets better in his second year. Maybe it's a function of not having enough star power on offense... or maybe we need new offensive brain trust to get the most out of our one, truly transcendent talent. Hopefully the people that actually make decisions figure it out because we need help.

Hope you all have a great offseason. And if you're still watching, enjoy the rest of the playoffs, and stay safe and happy in your real lives.

"Allen is going to be a meteor at this rate. We're seeing the Cam Newton treatment all over again, with some Big and some Andrew Luck is sprinkled n there. Our guy will not have a long or productive career because he's being used as a battering ram and will degrade, quickly."

This could not be more true!!!

14 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

“We came out flat” is a terrible reason to lose a home game, especially a playoff game.  That is what they are saying.  

No doubt something else is wrong inside the locker room and in meeting rooms.  They are stale. They are predictable. They made errors and turnovers constantly in the past month.  They were lucky to play Miami without Tua the week prior. 

Recall the MNF game, the Bengals won the coin toss and took the ball. The MNF announcers made this a point that they usually defer but hey wanted to make a statement and score first.  Sure enough, four plays later they score.  

Fast forward to yesterday.  Bill win the toss and instead of taking the ball and trying to punch first they differ.  Bengals score on the first series gaining big yards on every play.  Bills go 3 and out, running sideways in the snow,  Bengals score again.  Burrow is 10 of 10, Bengals have 14 points, all before we get a first down.  They had no fight, they had no answers, they weren’t even ready to play. 

The Bills had nothing new planned for this game and they learned nothing from the 9 minutes on MNF.  This game was an extension of that game.  The DBs played too far off the line against a QB with fastest release in the league, the Bengals played pitch and catch with ease.  The second TD was most embarrassing as three guys covered a screen and left the dangerous TE alone for an easy score.  This “Tampa 2 whatever it is” is flawed and exposed.  

In the AFC, the Bills have now dropped to 3rd, with Miami and Jax closer to them than they are to KC and Cinci.  Two years in a row eliminated in the divisional round. This time no 13 second freaky meltdown, the got beat up from the first play to the last play. 

Allen is a great kid but Bills fans that say he is the best weapon in the league are delusional.  He is the #3 QB in the AFC.   It appears he has regressed under Dorsey and he is back to making too many big mistakes, not seeing the field and not being patient. 

This Bills team peaked in the first few months of the season and was in decline in the last month.   They still have some good talent but it’s time for re-tooling.  I have no desire to see Dorsey or Frazier back.  They need better lines on both sides of the ball and more play makers.   Their secondary has fallen from a very good unit to below average in just one season (Hyde out, Tre not recovered, Poyer probably leaving).   They have far more needs than premium draft picks and no cap space.  

That was a miserable home playoff loss and it says a lot about the state of the team.  

When my son and I drove up from Virginia to see the Packers game, we could tell something was really wrong with the offense.  I believe it goes south from here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Weird that the guy you are telling to F off is a guy saying we need to draft guys like that.  Mostly what he means is tough physical guys.  We have a tough time against those because mostly our guys are smaller finese guys.

We beat the Ravens the last few meetings including this year and Lamar played most of those meetings.

Thanks for rubbing salt and saying sorry.  Most people in Buffalo will probably root for your team now that we are out.  No need to come on our board and be a dick.

Oh hell to the No's, I would have, but Eli Apple Jumped the Shark for me with that tweet.

• Shocked 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I hope the Bills let Oliver walk. He's not worth any kind of deal. He's undersized and shows a flash here or there.  The injury excuse just doesn't cut it. Let's hold players and coaches accountable rather than lame excuses. 

Agreed!  Again, he seems like a really good dude but he is so dependent on other things to be a game changer particularly for a top 10 pick.  Top ten picks should be disruptors on their own.  He totaled zero tackles yesterday and 1 assist.  Against 3 back up OL.  Was he doubled teamed? Sure at times but not every snap and against back ups as well.

Sure we all remember his game against the Lions this year and Saints last year - he was a force.  However, to me that is the precise issue, you can recall and nail down the exact two games he dominated over 2 seasons (33/34 games).  That tells me all I need to know about how to prioritize him remaining with the Bills. 

If we are being honest, he is replaceable; a JAG as they say.  Beane will be considered a wizard of epic proportions if he can find a trade partner for Ed and get anything below (5th, 4th, 3rd....) a 6th round pick. 50% turnover on the DL; this is what I speculate. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Oh hell to the No's, I would have, but Eli Apple Jumped the Shark for me with that tweet.

Youve never seen competitive people trash talk and bust each others balls before?

Edit:  when I posted this I had only seen the one tweet. I have since seen the rest.  Complete #######.  That stuff is uncalled for.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

Two days removed and I'm still gutted by it.  It feels worse than the 13 seconds loss. 

I feel like this is so much easier to get over than 13 seconds.  You couldn't talk to me for days after that.

Now, the reason I'm taking this easier is because I feel it was necessary.  This team, if not constructed/coached to a degree that's Super Bowl worthy, needed a wake-up call.  

They got it.

I have faith coaching and major personnel changes will be made this off-season to change the defensive philosophy and direct more resources to the offense.  

If we just run it back and re-sign Edmunds, draft one early OL and a Day 2 WR, then call it an off-season, I'll probably feel worse at that point than I am now.... because it will be evident to me that McDermott/Beane may not have what it takes. 

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I have faith coaching and major personnel changes will be made this off-season to change the defensive philosophy and direct more resources to the offense.  

That's what I don't have faith in and I think it's probably why we have differences in mood about this.  For what it's worth, I hope you're right. 

I can't see the pressure from ownership to make the necessary changes.  

• Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.