Bengals @ Bills - Post Game Thread - January 22, 2023 - NFL Divisional Round Playoffs

BuffaloBill

43 minutes ago, Sestak4ever said:

It will be interesting to see how KC’s defensive line does against the patch work offensive line of the Bengals. That will help with our assessment of how we did.

I thought I heard Cinci was getting their starters back this week. Either way Chris Jones is gonna make some plays 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

They say the replication is the greatest form of flattery

We should be replicating with the Chiefs did to build a wall in front of Josh Allen

That three-man rush of the Bengals getting to Josh Allen is going to be forever ingrained in my head

OL

DL

Or we just end up with more Ls

20 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Burrow is certainly up there with Allen and Mahomes.  Personally, I dont like the "this QB is better than that QB" talk.  They are the top QBs imo and thats all that needs to be said.  They are all different in what they do that makes them the best.

I agree! And further more, who cares if your QB is #1, or #3?

As long as he is in that top tier elite group, that's good enough.

Any of those guys can win against anyone, and they can all win multiple Super Bowls.

That's good enough!  What is there to argue about?

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

We want to turn Josh into Andrew Luck? This is how we turn Josh into Andrew Luck. 

Exactly. They want to talk josh into running less then why don't they protect him more. Mitch Morse and tua should be sharing injury notes. Brown is Swiss cheese and Dawkins is as inconsistent as....well our offensive game plans. Everyone else is as easy to replace as is was to not even mention them. Idk I get in a bad mood thinking about all this. Maybe it's because of the loss. Maybe it's because we'll all saw it coming to this. 

Edited by Goin Breakdown

8 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

There is no doubt then when it comes to defending Jackson & the Ravens Frazier does a great job. Unfortunately for the Bills the Ravens are not particularly relevant in the AFC with the Chiefs & Bengals being the obstacle to the Bills advancing to a SB. 

So Frazier gets an A for defensing a weird, unique offensive scheme by a marginal playoff level team while being utterly unable to slow down the more conventional high powered offenses of the elite AFC contenders.  And with the Chargers & Jags likley joining the ranks of KC & Cincy Frazier's D is going to become an even bigger liability

Exactly right about the Ravens. Defending a quarterback who can't throw and never has any decent receivers anyway isn't exactly a major accomplishment

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

There is no doubt then when it comes to defending Jackson & the Ravens Frazier does a great job. Unfortunately for the Bills the Ravens are not particularly relevant in the AFC with the Chiefs & Bengals being the obstacle to the Bills advancing to a SB. 

So Frazier gets an A for defensing a weird, unique offensive scheme by a marginal playoff level team while being utterly unable to slow down the more conventional high powered offenses of the elite AFC contenders.  And with the Chargers & Jags likley joining the ranks of KC & Cincy Frazier's D is going to become an even bigger liability

Are you sure about this?  They dang near beat the mighty Bengals on the road with a backup QB who is not very good.  Had he not dumbly tried to put the football over the goal line and instead put his head down and let the fat guys push him in like he was supposed they very well might have won that game.  Tye mighty Bengals squirreled out with a gift 97 yard TD.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Are you sure about this?  They dang near beat the mighty Bengals on the road with a backup QB who is not very good.  Had he not dumbly tried to put the football over the goal line and instead put his head down and let the fat guys push him in like he was supposed they very well might have won that game.  Tye mighty Bengals squirreled out with a gift 97 yard TD.

The mighty Bengals offense put up 17 points and <250 yards against BAL in the entire game, basically what they did in the 1st half against Frazier's fraud defense last week.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

The mighty Bengals offense put up 17 points and <250 yards against BAL in the entire game, basically what they did in the 1st half against Frazier's fraud defense last week.

So maybe the Ravens are not that far behind the mighty Bengals which was my point.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

IMO, this will be the tale of the tape!! Also how aggressive will KC DBs play against Cincy WRs. 

I watched Cincy's game winning drive vs KC from the regular season.

So long as KC doesn't let them convert a 3rd and 21, and Cincy doesn't get 6 cracks at the end zone from inside the 5, they should be ok. 

Regarding the QB argument, Josh is good enough to win the Superbowl. However, whilst he doesn't get a lot of help from elsewhere, I also think he's overly careless with the ball at times, more so than other elite QBs. But do I think the likes of Mahomes, Burrow or Hurts would do any better with this offense? No.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

On 1/26/2023 at 4:01 PM, arcane said:

It took them 1 summer to fortify that line. 

Your move McBeane.

On 1/26/2023 at 4:29 PM, Scott7975 said:

McBeane doesnt really have the resources to do so. They concentrated on the wrong side of the ball too much.

The Chiefs oline rebuild was complete when they drafted Creed Humphrey in the 2nd round of the draft 2 years ago, he has been the best center in the league since entering imo. They got him the very pick after the Bills took Basham.

So not only did the Bills pass on an elite talent at a position of great need, they handed him to their main rival who really needed him to complete their line. An incredible rebuild in one offseason with Beane handing them the crown jewel.  I turned the draft off after that, I was so disgusted and so convinced that Humphrey was going to be really good. I couldnt believe he fell to the Bills and then i couldnt believe they passed on him for another DE.

Two years later and the Bills line is still terrible.

Cmon. Get Better Beane

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think we need to be realistic here.  Cinci's d-line are as a group superior to our d-line with Reader, Hubbard and Hendrickson, their WRs have more top end talent and are deeper in quality than our group, and their reconstituted o-line provided better protection to Burrows than did our o-line for Josh during the regular season and playoffs.  At each of these position groups, Cinci has more than what we have, and it showed last weekend, even with their injuries on the o-line.  Combine this with creative play calling on offense with a QB who gets the ball out quickly and a defense lead by a coordinator with the ability to come up with effective game plans, and you have a recipe for success against the Bills.

Granted, I recall that the Bills were very interested in and pursued Reader, but he chose the Bengals and we were missing Von, which I don't think would have changed the overall results.

As has been noted, there is a lot of work to do to "catch-up" to the Bengals.  I could not imagine at the start of the season that this is what I would be writing now, but this is where we are.  Beane has much work ahead of him, and not much in the way of resources or ability to change the coaching staff to get it done.  This will be interesting because the status quo will not be acceptable if the Bills want to make progress and not regress.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/27/2023 at 6:43 AM, LABILLBACKER said:

Our OL has been ass since 2017. Our HC could care less about offense other than telling Josh to do it all. This will always be McDermott's legacy. 

This reminds me a bit of the Seahawks the last few years. They let Russell Wilson run for his life and platoons of RBs get carted off the field behind an abysmal OL for several years. Then they trade away Wilson and his contract and immediately invest in ... the OL. 🙃

Edited by Sisyphean Bills

9 hours ago, Turk71 said:

The Chiefs oline rebuild was complete when they drafted Creed Humphrey in the 2nd round of the draft 2 years ago, he has been the best center in the league since entering imo. They got him the very pick after the Bills took Basham.

So not only did the Bills pass on an elite talent at a position of great need, they handed him to their main rival who really needed him to complete their line. An incredible rebuild in one offseason with Beane handing them the crown jewel.  I turned the draft off after that, I was so disgusted and so convinced that Humphrey was going to be really good. I couldnt believe he fell to the Bills and then i couldnt believe they passed on him for another DE.

Two years later and the Bills line is still terrible.

Cmon. Get Better Beane

Asking beane to be competent with the OL is a bit much, don't you think? There's a average DT out there needing a job 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.