Bengals @ Bills - Post Game Thread - January 22, 2023 - NFL Divisional Round Playoffs

BuffaloBill

36 minutes ago, billsfan3482 said:

Exactly. We need an experienced Offensive guru type of OC.  I think Dorseys a play caller!! Not a offense mind of technics and schemes to put players in position to succeed. I think Reich is that guy, his offense gave us trouble without an Allen type of QB. I think he would give us a run game and work great with Allen 

We've seen no difference or improvement all year on offense, Zero creativity.   I don't see him "upping his game next year at all"

Like, is he  going to design plays over the summer? Is he going to google football offensive plays?  Hell, while watching tape of other games he could have easily stole some creative, fun or easy plays and put it in our playbook.

Great perspective. Agree a play caller but the other in depth needed skills aren't there. The Bills offense paid a deep price for his inexperience and lack of depth. 

Bills offense was excellent in 3rd down conversions. I'd agree it was more Allen's credit than Dorsey. That down is known as the QB down for a reason. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 2

On 1/24/2023 at 8:22 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

We dont have to fire Frazier. Just let his contract expire shortly. This organization/ coaches won't have the stones to fire Dorsey being it's his first year.  Just super disappointing how much he's NOT similar to Daboll.

So keep Frazier one more year…. Why? 

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

His contract is up. Just don’t renew him. He would not return for the upcoming 2023 season. 

Ok didn’t no that …. I thought he had one more year. Boy if they resign him to 5 years this fan base is going to lose it lol. 

13 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Only one I can think of was BAL and they weren’t lighting the world on fire. Frazier also had success vs Jackson in regular season games so it just carried over. Patriots offense was not a top unit either. Overall his defenses have been less than impressive in playoff games. The Bills playoff wins were largely due to Josh Allen. 

Frazier's defense held Baltimore to 3 points and were responsible for 7 points due to the Taron Johnson pick 6 at the end of of the 3rd quarter.  The offense scored 10.    the final score was 17-3.  The Ravens were 2nd in scoring that year.  Yet somehow the win was "largely due to Josh Allen"?

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Id rather Chan Gailey came out of retirement to be our OC at this point.  They guy could dial up screens, run the spread, had timely runs that made sense and kept the defense off guard, and had timely downfield throws.

Dorsey needs to severely up his game next year.

I would love that. The Bills would still need a bell cow back like Fred Jackson to pair with Cooks (our CJ Spiller).

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Id rather Chan Gailey came out of retirement to be our OC at this point.  They guy could dial up screens, run the spread, had timely runs that made sense and kept the defense off guard, and had timely downfield throws.

Dorsey needs to severely up his game next year.

That was with just marginal talent, just imagine what he could do with the personnel on the current roster.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

His contract is up. Just don’t renew him. He would not return for the upcoming 2023 season. 

Two possibilities:

- Beane and McD are still evaluating the season and eventually conclude that Frazier should be back --> no further action required by Beane

- They decide to change DCs --> Timing becomes important here as teams with vacancies start filling out their coaching team. I for one do not want a rookie DC, no matter how bright he/she is seen to be. We need experienced hands at the controls

When is the last date for his contract? I couldnt find it with a Google search

(Note that I personally don't believe McD will fire Frazier without resigning himself)

11 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Interesting, and that may explain a lot - taking a bend/don't break defense by design and making it even more passive in the postseason.

Yeah. It gets worse for Frazier. 

During the Bengals game, he'd change the scheme up completely on certain 3rd Downs. The Bills would run a 3 man Odd Rush with Matt Milano spying Joe Burrow.

I don't know what an Odd Rush is, but Burrow's passer rating vs. this alignment was something like 40.  However, Frazier only ran it a handful of times.  The Bills had more pressures, more negative plays and forced more incompletions rushing 3 with a Spy and dropping 7 than they did with 5 and 6 man blitzes.  So you'd figure once your team had given up it's 20th 1st Down in a playoff game, the DC goes ***** it, I'll try whatever is working.  But not our Leslie.  He went right back to his comfort zone and we were cut to ribbons. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I really hope our solution to fixing the issue isn’t just firing the safety coach. The entire defensive room is long over due for a clean out

Scapegoat. And of all things, a coach that had the most injuries on his side of the ball. Problems solved 🤦‍♂️😄

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Apparently, Brady was saying that playing in light snow, slippery conditions is great for offense.  All you do is play pitch and catch.  CB's and edge rushers can't get their footing.  

Well, that explains why our DB's were watching Burrow play catch with his receivers and our Dline didn't even touch Joe.

It's astounding how bad our coaching was on that day.

8 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Frazier's defense held Baltimore to 3 points and were responsible for 7 points due to the Taron Johnson pick 6 at the end of of the 3rd quarter.  The offense scored 10.    the final score was 17-3.  The Ravens were 2nd in scoring that year.  Yet somehow the win was "largely due to Josh Allen"?

Frazier's scheme has eyes always looking back at the QB and hence the Bills D tends to do REALLY well versus running QBs (e.g., Justin Fields). Plus they have fast LBs who can run and chase down QBs well. The other thing about the Raves game is that it was a high-wind game (lots of missed field goals) that totally undercut the passing games for both teams.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, major said:

Scapegoat. And of all things, a coach that had the most injuries on his side of the ball. Problems solved 🤦‍♂️😄

Yup. We were down to a 3rd and then 4th string Safety . Poyer was beat up bad. If we had the Poyer/Hyde combo I think it's a different game 

This system relies so much on the safety position and disguising their coverage,  which Poyer and Hyde mastered 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Even when he dailed up blitzes they were gobbled up by the Cinci 2nd string offensive line. 

Look at what Anarumo dailed up. Timely exotic blitzes coming from various angles and getting to Allen. 

To be fair, I don't think any scheme or coaching up was going to lead the Bills to a win. They Bengals were and are better than the Bills by a lot. The gap is really big and even good coaching probably doesn't close it enough. Burrow looks like the next Tom Brady, their WR combo might be the best in the league, Anarumo is an elite D coordinator, Mixon and Perine are moons better than Singletary and Cook, their pass rush and Dline is better, and their Oline isn't great but it was vs the Bills. 

I'm done with Fraizer too. I've seen enough to know that his scheme and defenses are nice for regular seadon games. His stats will look great to very good. Come playoff time his defense will not get it done. Its really that simple. Sure it's not all on him. I'd rather go down swinging with an aggressive defense. Look at how Miami went ultra aggressive vs the Bills. 

Also, I'm not a believer in Dorsey either. I know Josh gave his blessings so that was likely the decider to hire him. However, why go with a rookie OC who had accomplished very little when you are in win it all mode? For most of the year the offense struggled to have an identity. Was it a quick  passing team?, a methodical march down the field and burn the clock offense?, a deep strike offense?, a pound the rock offense?, a playground like offense and let Allen cook?

I know each game plan varies depending on your opponent. However, I never felt like the Bills offense with the exception of the first quarter of the season was in sync and in rhythm. The Dorsey offense lacked creativity and seemed predictable. How is he going to be better next year? 

The coaching gap is that big, the player gap not so much…

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

Apparently, Brady was saying that playing in light snow, slippery conditions is great for offense.  All you do is play pitch and catch.  CB's and edge rushers can't get their footing.  

Well, that explains why our DB's were watching Burrow play catch with his receivers and our Dline didn't even touch Joe.

Our O was also playing on the same field under the same conditions with decidedly lower level of effectiveness. 

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

It really should favor the offense…our offensive line was an absolute disaster.  Bengals dline seemed completely unaffected by the conditions too which didn’t help lol

last time we got that light snow against Miami the Miami dline was on roller skates to close that one out after playing well the whole game up to that point  

the defense was terrible too but the offense was the big disappointment for me.  No hyde, no von, tre still getting up to speed after his acl recovery, poyer playing with some serious injuries, slippery footing which usually favors the offense…I feel like the defense has some built in excuses.  

the offense had to find a way to win that one and they weren’t even competitive 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

The coaching gap is that big, the player gap not so much…

Don't lie to yourself. The Bengals have a lot more player talent than the Bills. 

They are light years ahead of Buffalo in the WR category. 

Obviously, both their lines are by far superior than the Bills. 

At this point Burrow is better than Allen. Hate to say it but he looks almost flawless when he plays. The guy knows how to carve an offense, escape pressure, and lead his team to big wins. He's a winner!  He's not as physically gifted but I believe he's a better all around QB. He looks Tom Brady like while Allen looks like Brett Favre. High risk and high reward. 

The Bills are better on special teams. That's about it. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.