Bengals @ Bills - Post Game Thread - January 22, 2023 - NFL Divisional Round Playoffs

BuffaloBill

11 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Zach Taylor is kind of the exception to the rule  “head coaches take a while to develop” 

Well, him and Sirianni 

Regarding Callahan, actually I just checked and Reich called the plays for the Colts when Sirianni was OC there.

So I guess the Colts would feel there’s precedent for an OC who doesn’t call the plays nevertheless apparently knowing what he’s doing

Don' forget McVay in LA. 

11 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

We were still playing really good defense even being down Hyde and White. Hyde was gone in a flash, 4th quarter of the 2nd game. After he was lost 3 out of the next 4 games were against teams scoring alot of points at the time. Miami, Baltimore & KC and the defense only gave up 21, 20 & 20. What makes that more impressive is all those games were on the road. And even the 21 for Miami is a bit misleading as the Dolphins strip sacked Allen and they recovered inside our 10 yard line leading to an easy td. And 2 turnovers directly led to 10 of Baltimore's points. A 4 yard td drive after an Allen pick and a 12 yard fg drive after a Singletary fumble. The Pittsburgh game was sandwiched in the middle of those games and they only gave of 3. So those 4 games they gave up only 64 total points with 17 coming from turnovers by the offense. That's a pretty impressive streak.

For Frazier's defense to really work he needs a healthy Hyde, Poyer, White & Johnson. If those 4 are healthy and he has a Von Miller, Groot and a healthy Oliver & Jones then his defense can be very good, but who couldn'twith that talent. He can get to the passer and play a more completed scheme on the back end. But I also agree it would be nice to see what a different defensive mind could do here. Next year, even if Poyer does leave, we'll still have 4 players on defense that have been All-Pros. Hopefully they all will be healthy. And no more games on Thanksgiving please. First Tre then Von, both ACL injuries.

I'd like to ask you when has a Fraizer defense stopped a quality playoff offense? I can't recall one time he has with the Bills. He has failed repeatedly and its resulted in multiple early Bills playoff exits. This year is no different. All teams have injuries and those excuses are just that excuses. Last year it was Tre. This year it was Hyde and Miller. Next year it will be...

Edited by newcam2012

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

I'd like to ask you when has a Fraizer defense stopped a quality playoff offense? I can't recall one time he has with the Bills. He has failed repeatedly and its resulted in multiple early Bills playoff exits. This year is no different. All teams have injuries and those excuses are just that excuses. Last year it was Tre. This year it was Hyde and Miller. Next year it will be...

Only one I can think of was BAL and they weren’t lighting the world on fire. Frazier also had success vs Jackson in regular season games so it just carried over. Patriots offense was not a top unit either. Overall his defenses have been less than impressive in playoff games. The Bills playoff wins were largely due to Josh Allen. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

There was only one game this year when I appreciated Frazier.  That was the KC game.  The defense he dialed up on the last play that resulted in Mahomes getting picked off by Taron was masterful.  Having said that, I think too many times he coaches scared.  There was not a DB within 10 yards of the Bengal receivers in this last game.  I'm so done with his passive defenses.  

• Agree 6

4 hours ago, jkeerie said:

There was only one game this year when I appreciated Frazier.  That was the KC game.  The defense he dialed up on the last play that resulted in Mahomes getting picked off by Taron was masterful.  Having said that, I think too many times he coaches scared.  There was not a DB within 10 yards of the Bengal receivers in this last game.  I'm so done with his passive defenses.  

Even when he dailed up blitzes they were gobbled up by the Cinci 2nd string offensive line. 

Look at what Anarumo dailed up. Timely exotic blitzes coming from various angles and getting to Allen. 

To be fair, I don't think any scheme or coaching up was going to lead the Bills to a win. They Bengals were and are better than the Bills by a lot. The gap is really big and even good coaching probably doesn't close it enough. Burrow looks like the next Tom Brady, their WR combo might be the best in the league, Anarumo is an elite D coordinator, Mixon and Perine are moons better than Singletary and Cook, their pass rush and Dline is better, and their Oline isn't great but it was vs the Bills. 

I'm done with Fraizer too. I've seen enough to know that his scheme and defenses are nice for regular seadon games. His stats will look great to very good. Come playoff time his defense will not get it done. Its really that simple. Sure it's not all on him. I'd rather go down swinging with an aggressive defense. Look at how Miami went ultra aggressive vs the Bills. 

Also, I'm not a believer in Dorsey either. I know Josh gave his blessings so that was likely the decider to hire him. However, why go with a rookie OC who had accomplished very little when you are in win it all mode? For most of the year the offense struggled to have an identity. Was it a quick  passing team?, a methodical march down the field and burn the clock offense?, a deep strike offense?, a pound the rock offense?, a playground like offense and let Allen cook?

I know each game plan varies depending on your opponent. However, I never felt like the Bills offense with the exception of the first quarter of the season was in sync and in rhythm. The Dorsey offense lacked creativity and seemed predictable. How is he going to be better next year? 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Id rather Chan Gailey came out of retirement to be our OC at this point.  They guy could dial up screens, run the spread, had timely runs that made sense and kept the defense off guard, and had timely downfield throws.

Dorsey needs to severely up his game next year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, jkeerie said:

Frazier had us in coaching purgatory. His scheme is good enough to win 11-13 games every regular season.

But once he hits the post season, he goes nuts and starts adding checks and audibles to every call.  Bills players were telling the cover 1 guys he has up to 15 checks per defensive playcall in the post season. And just the post season.  When it hits crunch time, he stops letting his guys play, and starts making his guys think.  Because he's chasing the perfect defensive call.

It's just insane. Then you have McD running down the sidelines, burning timeouts because somebody isn't lined up right, or couldn't get off the field in time. On account of the can't remember which of the 15 checks they're supposed to be in.  Which is a knock on McD too, because he must be ok with this ***** on some level. 

Meanwhile, guys like Joe Burrow, who know Frazier's tendencies just ignore all his attempts at baits and disguises. Then check it down for 5-7 yards, or throw hot to a first class receiver working with a 10 yard cushion. 

Edited by Coffeesforclosers
  • Like (+1) 5

6 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

All teams have injuries and those excuses are just that excuses. Last year it was Tre. This year it was Hyde and Miller.

Well ... Tre, Hyde, and Miller are 3 of your 4 or 5 (Milano, Poyer) best players on defense. Frazier did a fantastic job holding it together during the season, and I'm not really sure that the secondary we were putting out there in the playoffs could have done better with lots of blitz action, etc. Tyreek, Waddle, Chase ... we would've been burned deep, and more than once.

So was it the best possible defensive scheme? No, in retrospect it wasn't. But the loss of some major playmakers out there had a profound effect.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

ills players were telling the cover 1 guys he has up to 15 checks per defensive playcall in the post season. And just the post season.  When it hits crunch time, he stops letting his guys play, and starts making his guys think.  Because he's chasing the perfect defensive call.

Interesting, and that may explain a lot - taking a bend/don't break defense by design and making it even more passive in the postseason.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Id rather Chan Gailey came out of retirement to be our OC at this point.  They guy could dial up screens, run the spread, had timely runs that made sense and kept the defense off guard, and had timely downfield throws.

Dorsey needs to severely up his game next year.

Exactly. We need an experienced Offensive guru type of OC.  I think Dorseys a play caller!! Not a offense mind of technics and schemes to put players in position to succeed. I think Reich is that guy, his offense gave us trouble without an Allen type of QB. I think he would give us a run game and work great with Allen 

We've seen no difference or improvement all year on offense, Zero creativity.   I don't see him "upping his game next year at all"

Like, is he  going to design plays over the summer? Is he going to google football offensive plays?  Hell, while watching tape of other games he could have easily stole some creative, fun or easy plays and put it in our playbook.

Edited by billsfan3482
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Well ... Tre, Hyde, and Miller are 3 of your 4 or 5 (Milano, Poyer) best players on defense. Frazier did a fantastic job holding it together during the season, and I'm not really sure that the secondary we were putting out there in the playoffs could have done better with lots of blitz action, etc. Tyreek, Waddle, Chase ... we would've been burned deep, and more than once.

So was it the best possible defensive scheme? No, in retrospect it wasn't. But the loss of some major playmakers out there had a profound effect.

I agree but good teams find ways to win. Cinci was down 3 ol starters. They manhandled  the Bills DL. Mahomes played on one leg and KC still won. Miami had a 3td string QB and almost beat Bflo. Buffalo had a healthy Allen and Diggs and were at home. Experienced players and coaches as well. The Bills result was abysmal. That doesn't all fall on injuries. Something has to chamge or it will likely happen again next year. I'll be looking for upgrades in the team and coaches as well. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.