Bengals @ Bills - Post Game Thread - January 22, 2023 - NFL Divisional Round Playoffs

BuffaloBill

I’ve never been one to over react and say fire every body but after a couple days reflecting on everything I think I want Frazier gone…. After him blowing that chiefs game last year and what we’ve seen out of his defense this year it’s time for him to go… As far as Dorsey goes I’m still on the fence… Would Joe Brady be an upgrade maybe but I’m not sure…

4 hours ago, WideNine said:

Right there with ya.

Not really feeling any joy in being right about this team, but I do feel that folks are more receptive to the comment you made above.

I felt like McD was trying to preach this message in his post game locker room speech after Miami. That they could not keep playing sloppy football and expect to win.

Then Allen stepped in and said something like any way you can win...

An ugly win means there are things that need to be cleaned up. Enjoy your "W", but know and embrace that there is work to be done and that the same effort and execution may not cut it against a different opponent.

Not saying he lost the team, just that I think there was a disconnect in regards to the urgency needed to clean things up; A complacency that things would somehow always work out, they would get a stop, or a bounce, or Allen would magic a come back....

I am not in that "fire them all" place, I remember too well how Wade was ran out of town and how long the Bills sucked after that knee-jerk decision by Ralph.

I do recognized this year that we took a step back on offensive consistency, with turnovers and stalled drives, and on defense.

Injuries on defense certainly took a toll, so not certain how much that factors into their slide. The secondary was certainly impacted.

I feel pretty deflated. Perhaps foolishly, I bought into the Bills Super Bowl hype. Early favorites to win it all. Most experts and media personnel picking the Bills to win it all. The season couldn't start fast enough. Their was a feeling of being invincible. It was euphoric and intoxicating. I flaunted my Bills gear with a sense of pride especially since I'm not in Buffalo.

The season starts and the Bills come out like true "gangsters." Destroying one team after another. Things couldn't have looked anymore promising. The media continued With the Buffalo hype. We the Bills Mafia glued to the TV like a chef working in a kitchen preparing their favorite meal. We were hungry for more.

Fast forward to mid season and the wheels slowly started to lose its air. The once unbeatable looking Bills looked vulnerable. Injuries continued to mount, the offense lost its earlier mojo, the defense looked average despite great stats. The team struggled week after week in many categories. Never seemed to put together a dominate game  on both sides of the ball. However, they were resilant and won close games. Something the Bills aren't known for. Perhaps, this new formed toughness could lead the team to the Lombardi Trophy? So I wondered... 

The team faced enormous adversity like never seen before. No need to reiterate them. Suddenly football became secondary. I can take football a little too serious. The old saying is we eat, sleep, and live for football. That came to a crashing halt as tears rolled down my eyes on that unforgettable Monday night. In some ways the images and thoughts still touch me. Not in a bad way but it feels uncomfortable. 

Praise God for Damar's miracle recovery. It was truly a blessing from above. Words cannot express the euphoria, gratitude, and humbleness I felt. However, slowly the football fan in me moved towards football and the Bills team. In some ways, I felt guilty but it seemed as though Damar and his family gave me their blessings. It was now all systems go. 

I thought this is fate. It's meant to be. The Bills despite looking suspect continued to win and win and win. They had a purpose and destiny was on their side. The story book ending was being written. No Dolphin, Bengal, or Chief could stop us! 

We know the rest as the helium has slowly lost its strength...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I feel pretty deflated. Perhaps foolishly, I bought into the Bills Super Bowl hype. Early favorites to win it all. Most experts and media personnel picking the Bills to win it all. The season couldn't start fast enough. Their was a feeling of being invincible. It was euphoric and intoxicating. I flaunted my Bills gear with a sense of pride especially since I'm not in Buffalo.

The season starts and the Bills come out like true "gangsters." Destroying one team after another. Things couldn't have looked anymore promising. The media continued With the Buffalo hype. We the Bills Mafia glued to the TV like a chef working in a kitchen preparing their favorite meal. We were hungry for more.

Fast forward to mid season and the wheels slowly started to lose its air. The once unbeatable looking Bills looked vulnerable. Injuries continued to mount, the offense lost its earlier mojo, the defense looked average despite great stats. The team struggled week after week in many categories. Never seemed to put together a dominate game  on both sides of the ball. However, they were resilant and won close games. Something the Bills aren't known for. Perhaps, this new formed toughness could lead the team to the Lombardi Trophy? So I wondered... 

The team faced enormous adversity like never seen before. No need to reiterate them. Suddenly football became secondary. I can take football a little too serious. The old saying is we eat, sleep, and live for football. That came to a crashing halt as tears rolled down my eyes on that unforgettable Monday night. In some ways the images and thoughts still touch me. Not in a bad way but it feels uncomfortable. 

Praise God for Damar's miracle recovery. It was truly a blessing from above. Words cannot express the euphoria, gratitude, and humbleness I felt. However, slowly the football fan in me moved towards football and the Bills team. In some ways, I felt guilty but it seemed as though Damar and his family gave me their blessings. It was now all systems go. 

I thought this is fate. It's meant to be. The Bills despite looking suspect continued to win and win and win. They had a purpose and destiny was on their side. The story book ending was being written. No Dolphin, Bengal, or Chief could stop us! 

No god or blessing. Medical people save lives every day. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/22/2023 at 6:06 PM, LeGOATski said:

I've never been one to call for firing someone, but I think it's time to part ways with Frazier.

Yea man I’m right there with ya… Eric Washington should be shown the door also… He’s done nothing to help develop guys on the d line imo

17 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

We as fans had a hard time getting over that Monday night.  Many of us decided that the rest of the season was irrelevent.  Think what it has been like for the players.  The team was not the same after that night.   Yes, Damar, recovered...but the man, their teammate...who plays the same game they do...still almost died while playing that game.  So...I actually saw it as the end of this season.  The way the season came to an end...against the very team when the incident occurred...was what I expected. 

So...the players will go through their off-seasons sorting out feelings still.  Some...will be able to think about football, being better next year, etc but for some it stopped being about football that Monday night.  McD, the coaches and Beane have to get back to X's and O's, who stays, who goes, etc.  We will see how the off season plays out. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

Callahan doesn't call the plays. In fact, I'm not quite sure what he does.

Well, whatever it is, the Colts think it's enough to qualify him for HC consideration

49 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

Fix the lines. Who gives a ***** what else they do, just fix the lines.

I'll go further.  FIX THE OL.  The DL had its infusion of FA $$$$ and high draft picks.  Two of the key ones were out/IR; two others playing injured.  There's reason to believe that as those guys come back, it will improve.

The OL was the starters.  FIX THE OL.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Well, whatever it is, the Colts think it's enough to qualify him for HC consideration

I'll go further.  FIX THE OL.  The DL had its infusion of FA $$$$ and high draft picks.  Two of the key ones were out/IR; two others playing injured.  There's reason to believe that as those guys come back, it will improve.

The OL was the starters.  FIX THE OL.

Well, Zach Taylor was Goff’s QB coach with McVey and got promoted right to HC and that seems to have worked. Callahan fits the mold of Offensive Genius. Young guy with good hair who never played in college.

21 hours ago, Simon said:

Oliver was drawing a C/G combo all day long; the multiple injuries up front were probably the biggest reason the Bills are booking tee times right now.

I would go along with this. The Bills O Line was also beaten up in this game.

For me the reasons the Bills lost is a trifecta of suck. OL, DL and the overall fatigued,  ran out of gas factor. WE didn't really know how the wear and tear of a year like 2022 would have on the Bills going into this game.  That aspect was not a major factor or worry going in at least not spoken of that much. . But the proof is in the pudding. And here we are.

Edited by muppy

2 hours ago, WideNine said:

Dark with overtures of human hubris.

But, I do appreciate our medical professionals and what they do.

Nothing arrogant about it. I don't believe in religion or gods. Wasn't trying to be disrespectful

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Really well written and fairly closely tracks my views/emotions.  I've come around to the general (fairly obvious) view that we were healthy early in the season and really clicking/on fire.  Then we had major injuries and then weather and other awful circumstances toward the end of the season.  Those myriad factors caused us to go from a great SB-caliber team to a good team that could barely beat the crippled Dolphins, etc.  In contrast, the Bengals started the season like crap (also key injury to Chase) but are clearly hitting their stride now.  So there's clearly a luck/timing aspect to being at your best late in the season.  And think about the Chiefs - Mahomes injury may or may not be the reason they don't go all the way this year.  I wouldn't be against letting Frazier go (not renewing his contract) - I just feel like we're not creative and flexible enough on D (and lack aggressiveness when desperately needed). 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Pretty good retrospective. Nothing foolish about the early confidence ; many observers thought the Bills were the team to beat because they were. Then they were tested by injuries not seen in the McDermott era. The rookie coordinator was studied and dissected by the rest of the league. After the bye week, he proved he wasn’t yet up to the task. He never adapted ; the slot WR was out ,the QB injured his elbow and the middle of the field disappeared. Defensively , injuries piled up and Frazier was unable to adapt and find a way. While it was a tall order, his lack of flexibility was apparent. Some changes are in order for this staff. The WRs and OL aren’t good enough. Josh Allen can’t be asked to do everything all the time. 

• Agree 4

33 minutes ago, nucci said:

Nothing arrogant about it. I don't believe in religion or gods. Wasn't trying to be disrespectful

Not taken that way... no worries.

The rabbit hole I would start us down would be for another board and would end with both of us resigned to some manner of belief system that works for us.

I will leave it at respecting yours, as it should be.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Bimmer323i said:

I’ve never been one to over react and say fire every body but after a couple days reflecting on everything I think I want Frazier gone…. After him blowing that chiefs game last year and what we’ve seen out of his defense this year it’s time for him to go… As far as Dorsey goes I’m still on the fence… Would Joe Brady be an upgrade maybe but I’m not sure…

We dont have to fire Frazier. Just let his contract expire shortly. This organization/ coaches won't have the stones to fire Dorsey being it's his first year.  Just super disappointing how much he's NOT similar to Daboll.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

Well, Zach Taylor was Goff’s QB coach with McVey and got promoted right to HC and that seems to have worked. Callahan fits the mold of Offensive Genius. Young guy with good hair who never played in college.

Zach Taylor is kind of the exception to the rule  “head coaches take a while to develop” 

Well, him and Sirianni 

Regarding Callahan, actually I just checked and Reich called the plays for the Colts when Sirianni was OC there.

So I guess the Colts would feel there’s precedent for an OC who doesn’t call the plays nevertheless apparently knowing what he’s doing

5 hours ago, TheWei44 said:

Really well written and fairly closely tracks my views/emotions.  I've come around to the general (fairly obvious) view that we were healthy early in the season and really clicking/on fire.  Then we had major injuries and then weather and other awful circumstances toward the end of the season.  Those myriad factors caused us to go from a great SB-caliber team to a good team that could barely beat the crippled Dolphins, etc.  In contrast, the Bengals started the season like crap (also key injury to Chase) but are clearly hitting their stride now.  So there's clearly a luck/timing aspect to being at your best late in the season.  And think about the Chiefs - Mahomes injury may or may not be the reason they don't go all the way this year.  I wouldn't be against letting Frazier go (not renewing his contract) - I just feel like we're not creative and flexible enough on D (and lack aggressiveness when desperately needed). 

We were still playing really good defense even being down Hyde and White. Hyde was gone in a flash, 4th quarter of the 2nd game. After he was lost 3 out of the next 4 games were against teams scoring alot of points at the time. Miami, Baltimore & KC and the defense only gave up 21, 20 & 20. What makes that more impressive is all those games were on the road. And even the 21 for Miami is a bit misleading as the Dolphins strip sacked Allen and they recovered inside our 10 yard line leading to an easy td. And 2 turnovers directly led to 10 of Baltimore's points. A 4 yard td drive after an Allen pick and a 12 yard fg drive after a Singletary fumble. The Pittsburgh game was sandwiched in the middle of those games and they only gave of 3. So those 4 games they gave up only 64 total points with 17 coming from turnovers by the offense. That's a pretty impressive streak.

For Frazier's defense to really work he needs a healthy Hyde, Poyer, White & Johnson. If those 4 are healthy and he has a Von Miller, Groot and a healthy Oliver & Jones then his defense can be very good, but who couldn'twith that talent. He can get to the passer and play a more completed scheme on the back end. But I also agree it would be nice to see what a different defensive mind could do here. Next year, even if Poyer does leave, we'll still have 4 players on defense that have been All-Pros. Hopefully they all will be healthy. And no more games on Thanksgiving please. First Tre then Von, both ACL injuries.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.