Bengals @ Bills - Post Game Thread - January 22, 2023 - NFL Divisional Round Playoffs

BuffaloBill

3 hours ago, ngbills said:

Probably a bad day to be doing this but...Who are the building blocks of this team? 

QB - Allen

RB - Cook? Is the feature back?

WR - Diggs and nobody. Davis is 100% a bust. Our other guys are time a dozen NFL players. 

TE - Knox? Paid big money but dont think he will ever be a real difference make. An above average TE. 

OL - Dawkins has been bad. Who else? Morse is close to retirement.

DL - Miller - how many years does he have? When will he even be back. Oliver? He may be gone soon. Greg R may never be more than an avg player. No one else to speak of.

LB - Milano. Edmunds may be gone. Nobody else.

DB - Hyde is getting old. Poyer is gone. White is looking done. Johnson, Jackson, Elam and crew all look like average players. 

Kickers - Bass

So we essentially have Allen, Milano and Bass as building blocks. Miller and Diggs are aging key players. Beyond that not much more than some above average, many average and some below average. The last few drafts have yielded no building blocks to speak of on rookie deals. 

Did Cook look like he didn't want to get hit? He looked to avoid contact IMO

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

Great for CIN but Dorsey needs to take a look in the mirror here. The stat says just as much about the poor job Dorsey did as anything about the Bengals. Have to be at your best in the playoffs and Dorsey came up very small. 

Yeah, that was my point.

Late to the "party" and apologies if what I'm about to post has been said ad nauseum (confident it has but here we go):

Really needed that game as a fan. I don't have the anger from the 13 seconds debacle, this is totally different because I had to be shown, as a fan, that the haters were right and this team is simply not in the same tier as the Bengals or the Chiefs... guessing 9ers and Eagles as well.

It's a good team, with good players and a transcendent QB, but as Chris Simms' commentary got to, we don't have enough star power. Paraphrasing "when the play breaks down, you just beat your guy". We don't have enough of that. And then Josh has to try to play Superman but mama said there would be days like yesterday and he gets his ass kicked instead.

Allen is going to be a meteor at this rate. We're seeing the Cam Newton treatment all over again, with some Big and some Andrew Luck is sprinkled n there. Our guy will not have a long or productive career because he's being used as a battering ram and will degrade, quickly. 

Everything about the bargain bin o-line, boundary receivers depth... the prophecies were true. Badol said in another thread that maybe we're the Chargers of the mid-late 2000s and that's what I saw yesterday. I'm sure everyone watched the same thing: a better team, with better stars simply beating a lesser opponent into submission. I made the point to a friend about our "relationship" with the Patriots now: the games will be close but until they address the talent gap, assuming we don't try to throw the game away like the first Dolphins game, we will simply overpower them because we are the bigger, stronger "man".

Well that's what the Bengals did to us. That game could have been 54-10 the way they were moving the ball at will. I couldn't even fault Romo and Nantz for turning so viciously on the Bills because they're right, and they wanted to dissociate themselves from a fraudulent juggernaut.

Everyone sucked. We had chances to score, and we didn't, but it wouldn't have mattered. The Bengals would have put up more points and continue controlling the game. The game I watched was literally over after the first quarter. What a time to have our only "got our heads handed to us game" of the entire season, but it's what it is. The canary was in the coal mine with the life or death struggles that we had against, quite frankly, lesser opponents. As we are not in the Bengals' tier, that weak opposition: Jets with literally no QB, Browns, Lions, Miami with their 3rd QB... (the list goes on)... shouldn't be in our tier.

I sincerely hope the Bengals win it all. None of you know me, but my friends will attest that I surely drank the Kool-aid, and now, at the end, do I have crystal clarity that of course the Bengals should feel so disrespected. All this talk of the Bills and Josh Allen all offseason and well into the regular season when they're the defending f***ing conference champions. You want to talk motivation? We were 13 seconds away from going to the AFCC. They were minutes away from winning the whole f***ing thing, and had a chance on the final play. 

To all the haters, I raise my glass. Nothing can kill my love for the Bills but you guys were right, enjoy our misery. There's a lot to be done but not quite sure of what will be done and if we have the will or even the resources to do what's necessary. For me, it's starts with enough of this Cam Netwon/Big Ben/Andrew Luck bull***t where getting our QB (one of our only superstars) smoked every game is some kind of deviant fetish we're obsessed with and applaud. Protect him while there's still a chance. Get him more weapons so he doesn't feel like we have to do everything, because he simply does.

I love McDermott for the turnaround he engineered for this sorry franchise, however, as a defensive guy you're going to have to do with less. So much money and resources spent on the defense and the same things happens every year: trampled by championship caliber offenses. Hey, losing Hyde and Miller and not having Daquan Jones last night obviously sucked but everyone's got injuries. The guys we lined up against were missing 3/5 of their starting offensive line and still pushed us around like we were a college team. How would we have fared with 3 of our lineman out? Frazier was part of the loving culture and foundation as well but he simply must go. We need new ideas on defense, and offense. Maybe Dorsey gets better in his second year. Maybe it's a function of not having enough star power on offense... or maybe we need new offensive brain trust to get the most out of our one, truly transcendent talent. Hopefully the people that actually make decisions figure it out because we need help.

Hope you all have a great offseason. And if you're still watching, enjoy the rest of the playoffs, and stay safe and happy in your real lives.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Sean Payton is out there, just completed his second interview with Denver. He would be a great fit here, and would most definitely rather be here with Josh than Denver with Russell. Josh would flourish under him. 

He is still under contract with the Saints, so it would cost us a 1st but where we will pick in this year's draft (way late in the first round) it would be worth it IMHO.

I just assumed Payton wasn't interested in coming to Buffalo. You think he would be if the job became available? I absolutely think he would be a great addition. This team and organization needs a change. Coach McD has been in Bflo for 6 years. He's been very successful. I'm grateful for his accomplishments. However, I'm convinced maybe wrongly so that he can't and wont get the team to the Super Bowl. An offensive experienced man like Payton is a proven commodity. Allen will excell under a Sean Payton led offense. Terry P. get it done please. 

26 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Pretty much. Tough part is our coaching/front office either cannot evaluate talent or cannot adjust scheme to fit talent. They had all the opportunity in the world to bring in the guys they wanted and this is what happened. So many whiffs across the board. 

Quickest fix is upgrading the OL and WR positions. Even if that means ignoring the D. Come playoffs we are likely in shootouts anyway. 

I agree. They need to address the offense. Oline and Wrs. Go down swinging in shootouts like the Detroit Lions. Get rid of Fraizer and bring in an aggressive D coordinator like Swartz or Wink. 

5 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I just assumed Payton wasn't interested in coming to Buffalo. You think he would be if the job became available? I absolutely think he would be a great addition. This team and organization needs a change. Coach McD has been in Bflo for 6 years. He's been very successful. I'm grateful for his accomplishments. However, I'm convinced maybe wrongly so that he can't and wont get the team to the Super Bowl. An offensive experienced man like Payton is a proven commodity. Allen will excell under a Sean Payton led offense. Terry P. get it done please. 

If the Bills HC job opened up, it would be the most attractive HC job in decades.

Good, solid stable ownership with no financial limits outside of the salary cap. New stadium going up in a few years. And young generational talent at QB. I would say yes he would be interested. 

Edited by MILFHUNTER#518
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, technobot said:

Late to the "party" and apologies if what I'm about to post has been said ad nauseum (confident it has but here we go):

Really needed that game as a fan. I don't have the anger from the 13 seconds debacle, this is totally different because I had to be shown, as a fan, that the haters were right and this team is simply not in the same tier as the Bengals or the Chiefs... guessing 9ers and Eagles as well.

It's a good team, with good players and a transcendent QB, but as Chris Simms' commentary got to, we don't have enough star power. Paraphrasing "when the play breaks down, you just beat your guy". We don't have enough of that. And then Josh has to try to play Superman but mama said there would be days like yesterday and he gets his ass kicked instead.

Allen is going to be a meteor at this rate. We're seeing the Cam Newton treatment all over again, with some Big and some Andrew Luck is sprinkled n there. Our guy will not have a long or productive career because he's being used as a battering ram and will degrade, quickly. 

Everything about the bargain bin o-line, boundary receivers depth... the prophecies were true. Badol said in another thread that maybe we're the Chargers of the mid-late 2000s and that's what I saw yesterday. I'm sure everyone watched the same thing: a better team, with better stars simply beating a lesser opponent into submission. I made the point to a friend about our "relationship" with the Patriots now: the games will be close but until they address the talent gap, assuming we don't try to throw the game away like the first Dolphins game, we will simply overpower them because we are the bigger, stronger "man".

Well that's what the Bengals did to us. That game could have been 54-10 the way they were moving the ball at will. I couldn't even fault Romo and Nantz for turning so viciously on the Bills because they're right, and they wanted to dissociate themselves from a fraudulent juggernaut.

Everyone sucked. We had chances to score, and we didn't, but it wouldn't have mattered. The Bengals would have put up more points and continue controlling the game. The game I watched was literally over after the first quarter. What a time to have our only "got our heads handed to us game" of the entire season, but it's what it is. The canary was in the coal mine with the life or death struggles that we had against, quite frankly, lesser opponents. As we are not in the Bengals' tier, that weak opposition: Jets with literally no QB, Browns, Lions, Miami with their 3rd QB... (the list goes on)... shouldn't be in our tier.

I sincerely hope the Bengals win it all. None of you know me, but my friends will attest that I surely drank the Kool-aid, and now, at the end, do I have crystal clarity that of course the Bengals should feel so disrespected. All this talk of the Bills and Josh Allen all offseason and well into the regular season when they're the defending f***ing conference champions. You want to talk motivation? We were 13 seconds away from going to the AFCC. They were minutes away from winning the whole f***ing thing, and had a chance on the final play. 

To all the haters, I raise my glass. Nothing can kill my love for the Bills but you guys were right, enjoy our misery. There's a lot to be done but not quite sure of what will be done and if we have the will or even the resources to do what's necessary. For me, it's starts with enough of this Cam Netwon/Big Ben/Andrew Luck bull***t where getting our QB (one of our only superstars) smoked every game is some kind of deviant fetish we're obsessed with and applaud. Protect him while there's still a chance. Get him more weapons so he doesn't feel like we have to do everything, because he simply does.

I love McDermott for the turnaround he engineered for this sorry franchise, however, as a defensive guy you're going to have to do with less. So much money and resources spent on the defense and the same things happens every year: trampled by championship caliber offenses. Hey, losing Hyde and Miller and not having Daquan Jones last night obviously sucked but everyone's got injuries. The guys we lined up against were missing 3/5 of their starting offensive line and still pushed us around like we were a college team. How would we have fared with 3 of our lineman out? Frazier was part of the loving culture and foundation as well but he simply must go. We need new ideas on defense, and offense. Maybe Dorsey gets better in his second year. Maybe it's a function of not having enough star power on offense... or maybe we need new offensive brain trust to get the most out of our one, truly transcendent talent. Hopefully the people that actually make decisions figure it out because we need help.

Hope you all have a great offseason. And if you're still watching, enjoy the rest of the playoffs, and stay safe and happy in your real lives.

Although I have maintained that my Bills had issues this year I don't consider myself a "hater".

Just someone that watches my team closely, tries to follow the folks that break down the X's and O's and game film better than I could, and it was clear that there were issues I thought we would struggle to overcome against better opponents.

All it would take is the perfect storm of those issues against an opponent that was playing at a higher level more consistently and I knew we would Iikely lose.

We have been pulling out wins on the raggedy edge. We saw that come to an end on Sunday.

Hate is what you have been seeing from many of the fans who were on the bandwagon pointing the finger at those with any critique this year, who have recently fallen off said bandwagon.

Edited by WideNine
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, technobot said:

My feelings exactly. And I hope that a solid majority of Bills fans felt the same way this morning.  Focusing on the defense has not paid dividends for 3 years in a row in the playoffs.  And now the Bills are doing their best to ensure that Allen has a short career.  A 180 degree pivot to focusing on the offense and letting the D get by with the leftovers is required if we are to stem the slow but steady fall off.  And if McD & Bean can't or won't do that then replace them.  There is no other choice.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Sean Payton is out there, just completed his second interview with Denver. He would be a great fit here, and would most definitely rather be here with Josh than Denver with Russell. Josh would flourish under him. 

He is still under contract with the Saints, so it would cost us a 1st but where we will pick in this year's draft (way late in the first round) it would be worth it IMHO.

Someone else was listening to Cowherd today!  Colin really reamed out the Bills coaches & management and I can't say he was wrong about any of it. 

Cowherd was the first guy I heard float the idea that the game had passed NFL defensive minded coaches by.  I now believe this to be 100% true.  The Pegulas are in a tough spot because unless we move to an offensive minded head coach & GM it's hard to see the Bills decline not continuing and even accelerate over the next few years.  And all the while this is happening we'll be sitting there with an elite, once in a generation talent at QB.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

I don't see it. I wanna see it, but I don't see the accountability.  There wasn't anything after 13 seconds, I don't believe that there will be here either. 

As much as I want to see Frazier replaced, I just don't see it happening. McD likes him way too much. 

Maybe McD needs to take a hike too and we get someone here who values an offense 

The bengals knew which defense we were going to run and just game planned 20 or 30 plays that kill that scheme. Our defense is incredibly simple. Everyone says it. They just always said our Safety play was able to make up for the predictability. The truth is our DC is horrendous and should have been fired years ago. What we do is obvious to everyone and we never change it regardless of situation. If that’s your goal as a DC, to be simple and just to hope your basic execution bores the other team into unforced errors…you better be playing junior high football. This team will never go anywhere as long as Fraizer is here. I hope Bean fires him tomorrow because there’s no way McDermott will.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, technobot said:

Fantastic post in a sad way. I couldn't have said it any better. 

3 hours ago, KOKBILLS said:

Agreed...McD and his quest for love will definitely get in the way of doing what needs to be done...As much as I like McD...And I really like him...They roll this crap out on Defense again next year I'll be leading the charge to get rid of him. B-)

Truthfully, why should we wait another year? What do you think is going to change in a positive way? The guy is a very good coach who can build a team from the ground up. However, he's not capable of getting to the promised land. If you are good with playoff appearances and early exits then he's your man. I'd prefer to go the Rams route. Win it all and then suck afterwards. 

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

The bengals knew which defense we were going to run and just game planned 20 or 30 plays that kill that scheme. Our defense is incredibly simple. Everyone says it. They just always said our Safety play was able to make up for the predictability. The truth is our DC is horrendous and should have been fired years ago. What we do is obvious to everyone and we never change it regardless of situation. If that’s your goal as a DC, to be simple and just to hope your basic execution bores the other team into unforced errors…you better be playing junior high football. This team will never go anywhere as long as Fraizer is here. I hope Bean fires him tomorrow because there’s no way McDermott will.

Also a zone defense needs players that can quickly adjust and close. Harder to do on a slick field.

Both teams played a lot of zone yesterday, but Burrows often had time and did a better job of freezing or moving defenders with his eyes and hitting the shallow to intermediate throws to keep the chains moving.

Allen struggles processing those and to be fair... often too many jailbreaks to accommodate those throws on schedule.

Edited by WideNine

25 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Also a zone defense needs players that can quickly adjust and close. Harder to do on a slick field.

Both teams played a lot of zone yesterday, but Burrows often had time and did a better job of freezing or moving defenders with his eyes and hitting the shallow to intermediate throws to keep the chains moving.

Allen struggles processing those and to be fair... often too many jailbreaks to accommodate those throws on schedule.

"Allen struggles processing those" is a puzzling take to me.  Last season, Allen seemed to be pretty good at reading zone and finding his answers.

It seems to me that if he's struggling now, there must be something to be said for the concept that this year, there aren't as many answers to be found.  Last season we had Beasley and Sanders, who both could pick apart zone, and we seemed able to protect enough to have Knox out on the field instead of releasing after he chips.

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

Go into the draft. Find the guy that nobody will draft because he punched out a woman, and draft that guy. We just got beat because the Bengals are willing to do that.

Just F off with the criminals post.  Does it make your ***** feel better? Joe Mixon had an issue as a college kid, girl calls him a racial slur and struck him, yes he reacted badly, you never hit a girl.  But to label the Bengals thugs and criminals is ridiculous. 

Fact is, they have a great lockeroom, guys love to be here and be around each other.  They voluntarily stay in the building and do work, when they are given time off even.

Zac Taylor has created a great atmosphere.  Mixon has been a great guy and a good citizen, all about team, always unselfish.  No thugs here since Burfict.

We just have guys here who love to play ball.  Got ripped here for saying we should be the 2 seed.  I felt like we could win on the road.  And knew the team would play with a chip on its shoulder. 

Feel bad for your players, your coaching staff let them down. We came prepared on offense and defense.  I did not bet the first meeting, didn't know what to expect.  But after seeing the few series of the fateful Monday night game, felt pretty good about how we matched up. Took the Bengals on the alt spread of +3.5 for +116 odds, tool the Jags +10.5, among some other picks, Boston Bruins, Atletico Madrid.  Anyway, Bengals won me 6.5k.  Sorry to rub salt.

Sorry about your loss and better luck next year.  Just don't call our players thugs because we were too physical for you, that's just how AFC North games are, Ravens would of beat you too with their backup QB, he's not bad either.  You guys kind of mocked us for that.  Take care all, hope you fix your issues in the off-season.  McDermott is not the guy.

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Truthfully, why should we wait another year? What do you think is going to change in a positive way? The guy is a very good coach who can build a team from the ground up. However, he's not capable of getting to the promised land. If you are good with playoff appearances and early exits then he's your man. I'd prefer to go the Rams route. Win it all and then suck afterwards. 

You're asking this question like I have input...I don't...B-)

I like McD...But he's clearly not flawless...I promise you, if we hung out for one Bills game you would not think I go easy on McD at all...I see that Defense as his...This is a huge gut check moment for him. Everyone knows it. And I'm going under the general assumption that he's going to be here for at least another year minimum...Probably many more...He's 66-40 career...It's Buffalo...They're not getting rid of him. But he needs to step up and fix this fast. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, RandomBengalFan said:

Just F off with the criminals post.  Does it make your ***** feel better? Joe Mixon had an issue as a college kid, girl calls him a racial slur and struck him, yes he reacted badly, you never hit a girl.  But to label the Bengals thugs and criminals is ridiculous. 

Fact is, they have a great lockeroom, guys love to be here and be around each other.  They voluntarily stay in the building and do work, when they are given time off even.

Zac Taylor has created a great atmosphere.  Mixon has been a great guy and a good citizen, all about team, always unselfish.  No thugs here since Burfict.

We just have guys here who love to play ball.  Got ripped here for saying we should be the 2 seed.  I felt like we could win on the road.  And knew the team would play with a chip on its shoulder. 

Feel bad for your players, your coaching staff let them down. We came prepared on offense and defense.  I did not bet the first meeting, didn't know what to expect.  But after seeing the few series of the fateful Monday night game, felt pretty good about how we matched up. Took the Bengals on the alt spread of +3.5 for +116 odds, tool the Jags +10.5, among some other picks, Boston Bruins, Atletico Madrid.  Anyway, Bengals won me 6.5k.  Sorry to rub salt.

Sorry about your loss and better luck next year.  Just don't call our players thugs because we were too physical for you, that's just how AFC North games are, Ravens would of beat you too with their backup QB, he's not bad either.  You guys kind of mocked us for that.  Take care all, hope you fix your issues in the off-season.  McDermott is not the guy.

Weird that the guy you are telling to F off is a guy saying we need to draft guys like that.  Mostly what he means is tough physical guys.  We have a tough time against those because mostly our guys are smaller finese guys.

We beat the Ravens the last few meetings including this year and Lamar played most of those meetings.

Thanks for rubbing salt and saying sorry.  Most people in Buffalo will probably root for your team now that we are out.  No need to come on our board and be a dick.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Weird that the guy you are telling to F off is a guy saying we need to draft guys like that.  Mostly what he means is tough physical guys.  We have a tough time against those because mostly our guys are smaller finese guys.

We beat the Ravens the last few meetings including this year and Lamar played most of those meetings.

Thanks for rubbing salt and saying sorry.  Most people in Buffalo will probably root for your team now that we are out.  No need to come on our board and be an #######.

All I'm saying is, what he is saying and you are saying is false.  "Because the Bengals are willing to do that" he said.

Not thugs on this team football players, just good players.  Unselfish ones too, they could care less about pro bowl, they are team oriented.

Cam Taylor-Britt was drafted 2nd round, forced into duty because of injury, guy produced.  Had his lumps, keeps getting better.  Our lockeroom is full of high character guys, call them cocky or whatever, they just love to ball.  I wasn't the one being an ahole, just defending my team.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.