Bengals @ Bills - Post Game Thread - January 22, 2023 - NFL Divisional Round Playoffs

BuffaloBill

It doesn’t necessarily take high draft picks to fix the trenches. You can find super physical players later in the draft. You just need to look for the proper traits. We aren’t that far off but we absolutely need to gain a physical element to this team. You probably need to upgrade at least 2 spots on the Oline. Go out and find the strongest, nastiest players available. That doesn’t have to mean 1st and 2nd round picks. There are several ways to skin a cat but go find some maulers.

2 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

One thing outright is I thought the team looked timid in the snow and on uneasy footing the whole game. It was like it was in our players heads, but not effecting the Bengals. They looked lost in the snow. 

if the Buffalo Bills can't play in the snow, then the coaches need to be fired. Cincinnati is a town that shuts down for 2 inches of snow.

It’s sad and becoming more clear and in focus now that Kansas City/Mahomes and Cincinnati/Burrow are better than Allen and the Bills.  It doesn’t mean that will be the case every year but that’s reality these past few seasons and maybe going forward. It feels like if the Bills ever break through, it will be when it’s not expected.  Maybe they don’t win the division one of these years, get in as a wild card and go on a run.

Just now, JohninMinn. said:

Davis has to make that catch. Those plays separate talent.

Plane and simple.  Gabe, and everyone not named Diggs, has dropped entirely too many passes that hit them right on the hands or arms.  Every time I watch other games... I see at least one or two catches that has me thinking...why can’t our WRs make catches like that?    It’s beyond ridiculous the colossal lack of focus this team has as pivitol moments.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think Back to last week the Bills kept giving us all this line “it’s not how you win but if you win” . I don’t know why this bothered me so much. In my mind like how you play is going to determine  your success of winning this week and going Forward.

Maybe it’s just me but For a team that has a Championship calibre mantra it kinda felt like an excuse for  we can play sloppy mistake filled football and get by with a win. It almost didn’t happen against Miami.

Watching the Bengals interviews they are are a super confident bunch, lots of swagger and they go out and back it up on the field.

Burrow is possibly on his way to a second straight Super Bowl, Mahomes has 2 or possibly his third appearance upcoming and here we are with three straight Exits for Mcd/Allen..

For the first time in my life I have no interest in listening to wgr, national radio, reading TBD, following bills instagram, or even watching any more NFL games. I’ve never felt that way before. After the last 2 years and what we have gone through this year I really thought this was our storybook year. I feel like I need to take a break. This one hit me harder than anything in the past 24 seasons 

Edited by Bills!Win!
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

It doesn’t necessarily take high draft picks to fix the trenches. You can find super physical players later in the draft. You just need to look for the proper traits. We aren’t that far off but we absolutely need to gain a physical element to this team. You probably need to upgrade at least 2 spots on the Oline. Go out and find the strongest, nastiest players available. That doesn’t have to mean 1st and 2nd round picks. There are several ways to skin a cat but go find some maulers.

None of these players were Kromers guys. I'm guessing he has a list of players that he wants on his line. Or at least I hope that's the case. Can't have this bad of an Oline for Allen anymore.

23 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

One thing outright is I thought the team looked timid in the snow and on uneasy footing the whole game. It was like it was in our players heads, but not effecting the Bengals. They looked lost in the snow. 

I was curious if the Bengals used different spikes. 

I've always felt that Walt Corey held back our defense in the Super bowl years and the hiring of Phillips was a year or two late. I like Frazier, but we need something else. 3 poor playoff loses is enough. Great guy, great coach, great career, but it's not going to work.

Edited by klos63
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, klos63 said:

I've always felt that Walt Corey held back our defense in the Super bowl years and the hiring of Phillips was a year or too late. I like Frazier, but we need something else. 3 poor playoff loses is enough. Great guy, great coach, great career, but it's not going to work.

4 poor losses if you look at the Houston game giving up the 16 point lead and the big 3rd down in OT.  It's our playoff thing now.

13 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

I think Back to last week the Bills kept giving us all this line “it’s not how you win but if you win” . I don’t know why this bothered me so much. In my mind like how you play is going to determine  your success of winning this week and going Forward.

Maybe it’s just me but For a team that has a Championship calibre mantra it kinda felt like an excuse for  we can play sloppy mistake filled football and get by with a win. It almost didn’t happen against Miami.

Watching the Bengals interviews they are are a super confident bunch, lots of swagger and they go out and back it up on the field.

Burrow is possibly on his way to a second straight Super Bowl, Mahomes has 2 or possibly his third appearance upcoming and here we are with three straight Exits for Mcd/Allen..

It’s not like in hockey where you can throw pucks on net and bank some dirty goals. The defense isn’t good enough for the offense to play that sloppy.

• Agree 1

Home field used to mean something to past Bills teams. You defended your home turf and made away teams tremble just thinking about playing here. Not this team. That mental toughness comes down from the coaches. Levy, Saban and even Knox would not get pushed around at home. We used that to our advantage. There was no fear from Miami or New England over those last few games, including the wild card game. It showed in the way the games were played. Thank goodness for Hines two returns for td's against the Pats. Something just seems to be different or missing. Can't really put my finger on it, but it just feels that way.

• Agree 1

Just now, Sestak4ever said:

Home field used to mean something to past Bills teams. You defended your home turf and made away teams tremble just thinking about playing here. Not this team. That mental toughness comes down from the coaches. Levy, Saban and even Knox would not get pushed around at home. We used that to our advantage. There was no fear from Miami or New England over those last few games, including the wild card game. It showed in the way the games were played. Thank goodness for Hines two returns for td's against the Pats. Something just seems to be different or missing. Can't really put my finger on it, but it just feels that way.

I’m not advocating for McDermott to be fired but I don’t really see how to recover from this. How can the locker room respond to him now?

Once the anger and disappointment wears off folks will see this team through a better lens. 

I appreciate how hard this team fought this season through adversity, injury, and a nightmare schedule.

There is a lot of valid critique, but I think there is some truth in the idea that this team just lost steam and was emotionally flat.

It was a long season and a tough emotional ride.

Not going there as an easy excuse though. At the top of our game, I don't think we stack up with the Bengals this season.

They were and are a better team so give credit where credit is due.

They have done a good job with that org finding impact players and putting them in position to be successful.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.