Bengals @ Bills - Post Game Thread - January 22, 2023 - NFL Divisional Round Playoffs

BuffaloBill

5 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Exactly 

I think you’re assuming that changes won’t be made having one of the wealthiest owners in football and Josh Allen still makes this a preferred destination 

I don’t see anything changing to be honest. If Frazier isn’t picked up (he won’t be) McD is too loyal and I see him giving his Carolina guy a second year.

Players bay change but I’m thinking scheme and coaching are a bigger issue.

• Agree 2

I agree with the sentiment that Dorsey does not keep Josh under control and help him identify open receivers versus taking shots into the end zone. An OC needs to sit down with Josh and rein him in. Maximize his talents by giving him easier reads, reviewing the missed options and adjusting his thought process.

28 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

That’s you assuming McD is the guy. His defense is the right scheme and Dorsey offensively can out coach or hand with guys like Siriani, Shanahan, Taylor and Reid… I don’t see it. No way, don’t care who the players are.

Fact is the players are not gonna see it either. I think players know enough and see enough of this game and these personnel groups and coaches…. Buffalo is unattractive once again!!! It’s bad. Believe it or not, but this team will be no better than Division Champs. AFCE titles.

Sigh...these emotional tirade takes are so tiring to read day in and day out

• Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, DapperCam said:

#1. This shows how important the bye is. We could have faced the inferior Jaguars and a hobbled Mahomes at home.

#2. Jordan Phillips and D. Jones being unavailable or limited killed the middle of our d-line today.

#3. Defense just had too many injuries this year, reminds me of the Ravens last year. Hyde, Von Miller, Poyer gimpy all year, Tre White not 100%, Hamlin, Benford and Dane Jackson missed some time, Milano and Edmunds missed time (probably why we lost first Jets game), also the two DTs mentioned above. Other contenders were much healthier overall.

#4. Our o-line stunk all year and it stunk in this game too. We had much better o-line play last year at the end of the year and in the playoffs. Brown regressed some, and Saffold must be much worse than Ike was.

#5. The combination of Allen and Dorsey just didn’t seem to click. I know statistically they were similar to last year, but things just looked disjointed the second half of the season.

#6. Gabe Davis dropped another big time important play, even though we shouldn’t be throwing bombs every 3rd and short.

#7. If you were watching closely, you shouldn’t be too surprised about this outcome. Bills had a hard year for a lot of reasons and just didn’t have it. Our best chance was to get some bounced and squeak by, but just didn’t happen.

#8. I’ve been paying too much attention to football, so maybe this is healthy.

He didn't drop it, the ball hit the defenders hand right before it got to Gabe. I originally thought it hit his helmet,but looking at it again it hit the hand.

1 minute ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

He didn't drop it, the ball hit the defenders hand right before it got to Gabe. I originally thought it hit his helmet,but looking at it again it hit the hand.

What I saw was it hit Gabe’s hands/arms then the defender’s hand knocked it away. He could, and probably should, have caught it. 

• Agree 2

31 minutes ago, Mango said:

Since all of us are playing mock GM and blowing up this team this offseason, here is a fun thought exercise.  What would you give up for Shanahan over McD?

And what would it take for SF to say yes? I am guessing they would demand Allen and picks. Maybe even Diggs too?

Would you? 

Even in the most outlandish "what if" scenario I would not give up Allen & Diggs for Shanahan.  I think that Bean & McD can fix this if they recognize the problem and realign the organization to meet it head on.  Bean & McD did turn the Bills franchise around and that's worth something.  So as long as they do what's necessary, focus on the offense and adopt a new defensive philosophy minus Frazier, they can have us right back in the thick of things next season.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Hindsight is 20/20, but McBeane failed to read the room last year. 

Team should have drafted Breece Hall instead of Elam, George Pickens instead of James Cook, and attempted to reload the offensive line. The answer to beating Mahomes (and now Burrow) wasn't "play better defense" it was keep adding weapons and lean into a MVP caliber QB. 

They've consistently missed on draft picks, failing to stock the cupboard with cheap, young talent under control, and now it's all come home to roost. 

Yup. I know our defense sucked in the 13 seconds game, but Our offense punted 4 times. If that number was 3, we win the game. I'm just not convinced you can actively build a defense that can guarantee shutting down Mahomes and Burrow (and Allen) in the playoffs, if those teams continue to jack up their offenses. 

We need to make our offense like that. It'll make the defense's job easier, and allow them to be more aggressive. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

What I saw was it hit Gabe’s hands/arms then the defender’s hand knocked it away. He could, and probably should, have caught it. 

Before that it hit the defenders hand, as it was coming in. No way for Gabe to adjust from that deflection.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

57 minutes ago, Koufax said:

Painful loss, tough to come up short. Picked a bad day and a tough opponent to play a bad game and we played a bad game.  I look forward to watching this team get better, grow from it, and offer a really exciting season trying again next year. Ignore the overreactions and noise for the next few weeks. 

Exciting to be a team that year after year expects to be #1 and is disappointed by anything else, but also by definition that makes today really disappointing.

Go Bills

Theyre never beating that bengals team. That first q on mnf. And this game.

no way. The “bills just had a bad game”

excuse not gonna work

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Sigh...these emotional tirade takes are so tiring to read day in and day out

We will see who has the last laugh. This ain’t the staff to take us to a Super Bowl is all I’m saying. McD is a good Coach. But he’s not getting Coordinators that will be on that level. Dorsey ain’t it and neither is Frazier.

Point being… Siriani, Shanahan, Reid and Zac Taylor are the guys. That’s who we are competing with. It’s no tirade, it’s reality. I’m ready to move on, now. One day you will be too. Which is fine, difference of opinion and when is all.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

The Bills lose this game no matter what, so this isn't an excuse or anything, but man that weather was significantly worse than I was led to expect. I guess I have to continue to worry about how this team can handle weather games against good teams. But was it just me missing forecasts? I got the impression from the media I consumed this week that weather wouldn't be an issue

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.