Bengals @ Bills - Post Game Thread - January 22, 2023 - NFL Divisional Round Playoffs

BuffaloBill

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

NOTHING changes without a coaching change. McD had a good run, but he is simply in over his head now. 

I am tempted to go down this road with you.

But also, look at the Sabres. That’s what ownership is capable of. A total gong show for a decade. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

Lots to process going forward. Congrats to Cinncy has they did what they wanted from the opening possession.

Twice now in the playoffs your D has failed you. For all the investment in the DL, they were embarrassed today by three backups. They literally ran it down your throat. I have no clue what Frazier was scheming today. You literally played 10 yards off the ball knowing ball was coming out quick considering the OL and weather conditions.

Lots of solid players on the DL but no impact players. 

Offensively, Dorsey looked in over his head. Ignored the weather conditions and struggled to scheme up easy quick passes. Not leveraging Josh in the running game is inexcusable. Not one QB sweep. The interior guard play needs addressed. Look how easy the scheme is for Burrow, Mahomes and even Purdy. It matters! Not even sure what our O identity is at this point.

McDermott has done a lot of good but I worry he’s becoming a Marty Schottenheimer wasting opportunities.

Offseason, I believe Frazier has to go. I think they move on from Poyer. On offense OL, WR and a #2 TE is needed. They have to shore up the line and give Josh more weapons.

I thought Knox played well - WR is a huge need - the Davis drop was a killer 

#1. This shows how important the bye is. We could have faced the inferior Jaguars and a hobbled Mahomes at home.

#2. Jordan Phillips and D. Jones being unavailable or limited killed the middle of our d-line today.

#3. Defense just had too many injuries this year, reminds me of the Ravens last year. Hyde, Von Miller, Poyer gimpy all year, Tre White not 100%, Hamlin, Benford and Dane Jackson missed some time, Milano and Edmunds missed time (probably why we lost first Jets game), also the two DTs mentioned above. Other contenders were much healthier overall.

#4. Our o-line stunk all year and it stunk in this game too. We had much better o-line play last year at the end of the year and in the playoffs. Brown regressed some, and Saffold must be much worse than Ike was.

#5. The combination of Allen and Dorsey just didn’t seem to click. I know statistically they were similar to last year, but things just looked disjointed the second half of the season.

#6. Gabe Davis dropped another big time important play, even though we shouldn’t be throwing bombs every 3rd and short.

#7. If you were watching closely, you shouldn’t be too surprised about this outcome. Bills had a hard year for a lot of reasons and just didn’t have it. Our best chance was to get some bounced and squeak by, but just didn’t happen.

#8. I’ve been paying too much attention to football, so maybe this is healthy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Bongo said:

Agreed. They came out of the tunnel like their nose was punched and their lunch money was taken. Not sure how you could come into a game like this flat but they sure played with no spirit from start to finish. Really disappointing way to go into the next few months. Ugh.

Isn't NOT coming out of the tunnel flat before the biggest game of the year supposed to be one of those things that falls to the Head Coach of the team?   

So glad they got run out of the stadium if they were losing. Exposes how bad the construction of this team is. Need a real OL, Real WR2  protect Josh and Give Josh weapons. We have the worst Weapons group in the playoffs this year and one of the worst OLs. Stop spending All you premier assets in Defense. They are irrelevant in the Modern NFL when facing a top end Offense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Some good FA signings, some good late round draft picks. But how Beane continually escapes criticism for his early round draft picks other than Allen I have no idea. And any other franchise would have jettisoned their DC after last years KC debacle. Allen needs weapons. I’m not sure the Bills have the GM to identify and acquire them. And I know they don’t have the DC to win big boy football games. 

2 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Josh covered up Dorsey's inadequate play calling and won 14 games.  I'm done too.

Agreed. Did it ever look like we had a game plan specifically for our opponent? It was backyard football, let the big guy do it all and hope you win.

Just now, CoudyBills said:

You would have to ask Josh why he isn't taking them.  

Dorsey should be asking that question if that's what he's calling. And maybe questions should be asked why Josh is ignoring him if he's not following play calls - actually, they should have been asked well before now.

James Cook had 5 carries today.

Why does this team act like every prospect needs a four year growth plan? None of them make an impact. We have a bunch of draft picks from the last three years that do nothing. Blow it up for the simple fact that this team does not develop players well.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

#1. This shows how important the bye is. We could have faced the inferior Jaguars and a hobbled Mahomes at home.

#2. Jordan Phillips and D. Jones being unavailable or limited killed the middle of our d-line today.

#3. Defense just had too many injuries this year, reminds me of the Ravens last year. Hyde, Von Miller, Poyer gimpy all year, Tre White not 100%, Hamlin, Benford and Dane Jackson missed some time, Milano and Edmunds missed time (probably why we lost first Jets game), also the two DTs mentioned above. Other contenders were much healthier overall.

#4. Our o-line stunk all year and it stunk in this game too. We had much better o-line play last year at the end of the year and in the playoffs. Brown regressed some, and Saffold must be much worse than Ike was.

#5. The combination of Allen and Dorsey just didn’t seem to click. I know statistically they were similar to last year, but things just looked disjointed the second half of the season.

#6. Gabe Davis dropped another big time important play, even though we shouldn’t be throwing bombs every 3rd and short.

#7. If you were watching closely, you shouldn’t be too surprised about this outcome. Bills had a hard year for a lot of reasons and just didn’t have it. Our best chance was to get some bounced and squeak by, but just didn’t happen.

#8. I’ve been paying too much attention to football, so maybe this is healthy.

Great post and I basically agree with everything here. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

They need DTs that can collapse the pocket and hold their own in the run game.

I know Vince wilforks, John Hendersons, and Chris jones don’t grow on trees, but they need something like that. 

This.

Jones was our closest thing to that, and without him today the rest just got pushed around.

Been saying for years that this non-stop investment in smallish "penetrating" DL players is a mistake - especially in your DTs.

1 minute ago, klos63 said:

other than Hamlin are we thinking two snowstorms hurt this team? If so, that's a weak organization.

Shooting in Buffalo before the season, yes the two snowstorms and not making it home for Christmas. Regardless of all that the biggest thing was Hamlin. So it’s not other than Hamlin as that was pretty big seeing your teammate and friend have to have CPR performed on him. That one event is a lot to handle. I get fan is short for fanatic but some of you need to get a grip on what the team actually went through emotionally. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.