Would you rather wrestle an alligator or play 400 games of chess in a row?

Beck Water

Easy, wrestle an alligator. My family moved from Buffalo to Orlando right before I was born in 1981. As a FL kid I was relatively familiar with alligators.

Fast forward to my freshman year of college in NC at a University that will remain nameless. 2 buddies and I went back to FL for our fall break. The running joke was to see who could do something crazy to our fountain on campus. Some people put soap in it. One kid put kerosine in it and lit it on fire.  

Long story short we caught a gator with my snag pole rig and brought it back to NC in the trunk of my buddies Camry. We put it in the fountain. He was about a 4 footer. If you know what you’re doing they aren’t too hard to handle. Gator ended up at a sanctuary in the OBX so happy ending.

• Haha (+1) 4

9 hours ago, Pete said:

Chess - and I’d like it

That seemed to be Josh Allen's reaction, for sure.

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Josh Allen won’t wrestling alligator but he’ll run over at 250 pound linebacker

OK then

I think it's more he likes to play chess.  He talked about it on Kyle's basement.  Evidently plays remotely with his brother.

I'm not surprised, I think of football as a giant chess game played IRL and I think to an extent, QB reading the football field pre- and post- snap to project what's going to happen and reading the chess board to see what the opponent's strategy is going to be require similar mental skills.

Edited by Beck Water

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

That seemed to be Josh Allen's reaction, for sure.

I think it's more he likes to play chess.  He talked about it on Kyle's basement.  Evidently plays remotely with his brother.

It does not surprise me that Josh Allen likes to play chess super high IQ, super high football IQ. It was talked about whenever we drafted him and people are talking about Joe Burrow being like the more NFL mental QB of the two just because Josh Allen can throw in a football mile doesn’t mean that he doesn’t have a high football acumen.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, bills6969 said:

Would you rather wrestle an alligator or listen to Colinsworth call a Chiefs game

Give me the Alligator every time.  

Both may result in death, but the slow painful death of listening to Collinsworth is like an evil torture.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

I've got an alligator in my back yard pond.  He's a big boy.

There's an old farmer with an apple orchard at the back of his property, surrounding a pond. 

One late summer day he has a yen for an apple pie, so his wife tells him, "here, see if you can find enough early ripeners to fill this bucket and I'll bake one for you"

As the farmer approaches the pond, he hears giggling and splashing.  When the pond comes into sight, he sees piles of clothes on the bank, and four comely young women splashing in the pond.  When they see him, they shriek and go deeper into the water.

One of them calls out "Please!  Don't make us get out of the water!"

The farmer holds up the bucket and drawls "Oh, I'm not here to make you get out of the pond.  I'm just here to feed the alligators!"

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, bills6969 said:

Would you rather wrestle an alligator or listen to Colinsworth call a Chiefs game

I'd like to see Chris Colinsworth wrestle an alligator (with the volume down, of course).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Since1981 said:

Lil dirty McKenzie has smart answer. 
Doesn’t want 400 chess but “y’all can’t die from it. “

Yeah, Lil Dirty did a risk evaluation there.  "If I wrestle the alligator I might die, If I play chess I get my life back in 3 days"

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

I'd like to see Chris Colinsworth wrestle an alligator (with the volume down, of course).

Winner.  Drop  🎤

Edited by Beck Water

9 hours ago, Limeaid said:

In High School I used to play multiple people simultaneously and won inter-school chess tournaments.  My math teacher was in army where he was a grandmaster.  I beat him only once in 3 years. Played a bunch of chess variants after college such as cross chess, blitz chess. drinking chess (pawns were shot glasses, bishops and knights were 4 oz double shot glasses, etc) and when you captured you needed to drink liquid in piece.

Right now I am not in shape to wrestle an alligator or play 400 games of chess but I'd choose chess.

Incentive to beating alligator could be you got to eat him.

Lichess account?  Not that I’m challenging someone who beat a GM “only once!”

3 hours ago, unbillievable said:

1*Tzro-v_xq4INfexuQq5jFw.jpeg

Stare into these crazy eyes for 400 games?

Also, not the same stakes.

What if you had to win 1 game out of 400 or someone shoots you squid game style...

or wrestle an alligator in the water...

I’ll be inaccurate, but you’ll get the picture.   Lichess and Chess.com experienced nearly 30% usage and new account activity when that series aired.  The games she played were real, well known, games through history.

I play 30 rapid games a week and do a couple of hundred puzzles.   400?   How big is the alligator?

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Neo said:

Lichess account?  Not that I’m challenging someone who beat a GM “only once!”

Never played online chess.  Tried reading some chess move books teacher lent me. My ability to memorize is limited but I had ability at time to look many moves ahead.  I beat my teacher by making "mistakes" which set up a game which he thought he had me beat.  He put me in check and I countered check and put him in check declared checkmate in 8 moves. He looked at game and saw what I saw and said he never saw it coming.  From memory he completely replayed chess on board and saw what I did and said he had never seen that in any game or any book he read but if he had countered it at right time the whole sequence would have fallen apart.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Neo said:

Lichess account?  

lichess.org has been a godsend in allowing my 9 year old grandson to show me just how far advanced in the game he is.  I am usually content to play the computer at Level 2 as black (just more comfortable reacting as opposed to leading off), and getting blown up when I do venture to higher levels. 😁

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

lichess.org has been a godsend in allowing my 9 year old grandson to show me just how far advanced in the game he is.  I am usually content to play the computer at Level 2 as black (just more comfortable reacting as opposed to leading off), and getting blown up when I do venture to higher levels. 😁

29 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Do the puzzles …   instincts kick in and you ‘see’ things

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.