McCarthy Plans To Cut Debt By Gutting Funds For Veterans

Tiberius

Democrats Acknowledge Defeat in Debt Negotiations, Urge Members to Vote ‘Yes’ Anyway

by Paul Bois

Some Democrat leaders have acknowledged some of the losses in the debt ceiling negotiations and have urged their fellow members to vote “yes” anyway.

According to Congressional reporter Max Cohen, former House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-MD) has been urging his colleagues to vote “yes” despite some of their misgivings.“Despite these setbacks, we must save the American economy from Republicans’ irresponsible and radical plans to impose a damaging default. The failure to do so would have catastrophic impacts on every American, every family, and the global economy,”

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023/05/28/democrats-acknowledge-defeat-debt-negotiations-urge-members-vote-yes-anyway/

• Haha (+1) 2

Dem Rep. Bowman tells CNN why he has serious debt deal concerns (this BEGS to be in a GOP ad)

President Biden and House Speaker McCarthy have tentatively agreed on a debt ceiling deal, but there are members of Congress on both sides of the aisle who are skeptical. However, one of the more far-Left takes comes courtesy of Democrat Rep. Jamaal Bowman’s conversation with CNN’s Wolf Blitzer. Brace for the “green new deal” wacky take of the weekend:

It’s a bad debt ceiling deal because it doesn’t stop oil drilling completely in favor of the magical clean, renewable energy that will make the weather better?

That sounds so on brand for the Left that it’s worthy of inclusion in Republican ads.

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2023/05/29/dem-rep-bowman-tells-cnn-why-he-has-serious-debt-deal-concerns-this-begs-to-be-in-a-gop-ad/

• Agree 1

President Biden’s capacity to overperform after an onslaught of negative press and Democratic hand-wringing is second to none. He did it with the Inflation Reduction Act, the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, NATO solidification and expansion, and now with the debt ceiling deal. It’s hard to conceive of an outcome more favorable to Biden.

Recall where this began: the Republican House Freedom Caucus making promises such as repealing much of the Inflation Reduction Act (including eliminating $80 billion in new funds for the Internal Revenue Service), capping nondefense spending at fiscal 2022 levels for a decade and blocking Biden’s $400 billion proposed student debt relief. None of that happened.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/05/30/biden-debt-limit-deal-making-skill/

15 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

why are you mentioning me randomly, that's just weird, I dont even know you

When I read Tibsy's hate-filled homophic rants they reminded me a lot of your own, and I thought maybe you two could work together on addressing your bigotry.  Should I not have tried to help?

• Thank you (+1) 2

On 5/29/2023 at 8:17 AM, aristocrat said:

This is an honest question.  Why is debt repayment still paused?  Is it still from COVID?  If so, that's crazy.  

Take the loan out, then you repay the loan, while trying to force restructuring of student loans.  But the loans shouldn't just be forgiven.

5 hours ago, B-Man said:

Dem Rep. Bowman tells CNN why he has serious debt deal concerns (this BEGS to be in a GOP ad)

President Biden and House Speaker McCarthy have tentatively agreed on a debt ceiling deal, but there are members of Congress on both sides of the aisle who are skeptical. However, one of the more far-Left takes comes courtesy of Democrat Rep. Jamaal Bowman’s conversation with CNN’s Wolf Blitzer. Brace for the “green new deal” wacky take of the weekend:

It’s a bad debt ceiling deal because it doesn’t stop oil drilling completely in favor of the magical clean, renewable energy that will make the weather better?

That sounds so on brand for the Left that it’s worthy of inclusion in Republican ads.

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2023/05/29/dem-rep-bowman-tells-cnn-why-he-has-serious-debt-deal-concerns-this-begs-to-be-in-a-gop-ad/

Absolute, uniformed, irrational threat to national security insanity.

• Agree 3

36 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

yes you shouldn't 

I can assure you I will never at-mention you for anything ever. You could return the favor

I could, but don't you think you should be reminded about your homophobia from time to time?

And why does an @ mention bother you so much?

• Agree 1

Our Fake Spending Debates

By Ben Shapiro

This week, Speaker of the House Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., and President Joe Biden cut a deal to raise the debt limit. The breakthrough came after three months of Biden pledging not to even negotiate over the debt limit.

Instead, Biden was forced to concede to a 1% cap on increases for non-military spending, a cutback on IRS funding, a clawback of some unspent COVID-19 allocations, and addition of work requirements for some federal aid.

The compromise deal was indeed far less than House Republicans had demanded, as Rep. Nancy Mace, R-S.C., tweeted, "After factoring in a small cut to discretionary spending over the next 2 yrs, we are still talking about ~$6T more or less in spending bc of large increases in spending elsewhere. ... Govt grew massively over the past 3 years. This growth was supposed to be emergency funding only during COVID. During this time, govt grew 40% or by $2 trillion from 2019 to 2023. We went from spending just over $4T to spending just over $6T."

Every word of that critique is true. Compared to conservative ideals, the compromise bill is indeed a flaming bag of fiscal manure. But conservative ideals weren't on the table. Biden is the president. Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y. — thanks in large part to the tender 2020 ministrations of President Donald Trump in the Georgia Senate runoffs and his further interference in the 2022 Senate races in Georgia, Arizona, New Hampshire and Pennsylvania — is still the Senate majority leader. This means that Republicans were never going to get a big win on budgetary matters.

For that matter, Republicans couldn't even get a big win on budgetary matters from 2016 to 2018, when they controlled both houses of Congress and Trump was actually president.

https://jewishworldreview.com/0523/shapiro053123.php