Eric Moulds - this week’s legend of the game

BillsFan619

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Andre Reed wasn't in a RB's frame.   He was 6'2" with long arms and huge hands.   Same height as Moulds but a larger catch radius and much more elusive after the catch.   

Moulds 1998 season was unreal.   He averaged 11.8 yards per target that year.   Best season by a Bills WR ever.  

But he quickly dropped off and steadily declined by about a yard per catch each year.

By the time he turned 30 that was down to yards per target figure was 6.4.........despite having a big armed QB throwing him the ball 10x per game.

Easily the most overrated player in Bills history.   Very good but the fact that there are people out there that think he'd be the best WR in the NFL today is just asinine.    Stef Diggs could run circles around Frankenmoulds.

He actually averaged over 20 yards per catch that season. Put down the sauce sir!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

For someone so negative about Eric Moulds, why post in this thread?

The Buffalo Bills still made him a legend. Also, why are you COMPARING ANYONE in the first place?

When people try to re-write the past I set it straight.   Moulds picked a GF up by the neck and slammed her into the wall trying to choke her out on a Buffalo campus.........dodged his paltry child support in MS.........he kept the Bills attorney very busy early in his career and there was a lot of speculation that he would be cut outright heading into training camp of 1998.   Also reviled for spitting in opponents faces.   Kind of a scumbag.  Certainly not the kind of guy that people should go out of their way to make excuses as a player for.   He's best kept compartmentalized in the era he played in.   His domestic violence issue alone would have kept him out of the NFL today.

7 minutes ago, extrahammer said:

He actually averaged over 20 yards per catch that season. Put down the sauce sir!

Well yards per target and yards per catch are different things now, aren't they?   Feel dumb?  You should.

As I said.........that 1998 season was the best by a Bills receiver ever.    Some prisoners of the moment think Stef Diggs' seasons were better but Moulds was just amazing that year.

Unfortunately, being the blockhead that he was he went and put on 10 pounds of muscle,  mostly in his legs, that offseason and came into 1999 noticeably slower and lost that YAC aspect that he had in 1998.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

When people try to re-write the past I set it straight.   Moulds picked a GF up by the neck and slammed her into the wall trying to choke her out on a Buffalo campus.........dodged his paltry child support in MS.........he kept the Bills attorney very busy early in his career and there was a lot of speculation that he would be cut outright heading into training camp of 1998.   Also reviled for spitting in opponents faces.   Kind of a scumbag.  Certainly not the kind of guy that people should go out of their way to make excuses as a player for.   He's best kept compartmentalized in the era he played in.   His domestic violence issue alone would have kept him out of the NFL today.

Well yards per target and yards per catch are different things now, aren't they?   Feel dumb?  You should.

As I said.........that 1998 season was the best by a Bills receiver ever.    Some prisoners of the moment think Stef Diggs' seasons were better but Moulds was just amazing that year.

Unfortunately, being the blockhead that he was he went and put on 10 pounds of muscle,  mostly in his legs, that offseason and came into 1999 noticeably slower and lost that YAC aspect that he had in 1998.

coming from a guy making as many poor excuses as you? No I don’t. But it is Friday night so yolo

8 minutes ago, extrahammer said:

coming from a guy making as many poor excuses as you? No I don’t. But it is Friday night so yolo

Just the facts.

From 2000-2004 Moulds averaged a massive 150 targets per season.......he was given a ton of opportunity.........he is what he did.......no excuses necessary.

The post merger Bills receiver who doesn't get enough love is easily Andre Reed.

He averaged 13.9 yards per catch for his career........8.3 yards per target and caught about 60% of his passes.   All much higher than Moulds in addition to dwarfing his overall numbers.

Andre Reed had 4 productive seasons in the NFL before the age that Moulds decided to show up and play for the first time in his career(age 25).........and he was still putting up big yards per target and per catch numbers several years later into his career than Moulds........even with the likes of Billy Joe Hobert and Todd Collins at QB.

• Eyeroll 1

57 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I wasn't aware about any of this stuff regarding Eric Moulds. Yikes. Yup, you're right. He would have been thrown out today. Good thing I don't have his jersey then.

I take back what I wrote about Eric Moulds. Anyways, he was ok (on the field) during his era. We didn't have anyone else. Peerless Price? Nah.

8 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

Eric Moulds was one of my favorite Bills during that era.

I’m sure when he watches JA play at the stadium on Sunday, he’ll be wishing he had him at QB when he played instead of the likes of Todd Collins, Rob Johnson, Doug Flutie, Alex Van Pelt, Drew Bledsoe, J.P. Losman and Kelly Holcomb.

Where do you think Moulds would rank in Bills and in NFL history if he had JA as his QB?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/eric-moulds-named-legend-game-104520649.html

Moulds would be at the top if he had Josh Allen.  Lord have mercy, they would dominate even more than Allen and Diggs.  Moulds should have been a nationally known name based on his talent.   I think he will be on the wall eventually.  Not bad but he could’ve been HOF with consistent QB play.

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Andre Reed was a much smoother athlete with a lot better hands than Moulds.........and a much better YAC guy(the best in the NFL in his prime) and that's why he was still putting up big ypc numbers at age 33 with the likes of Todd Collins as his QB.

Moulds 1998 was the best season a Bills WR has ever had.........but he peaked in that breakout year at age 25 and the decline was steady and noticeable and he was just a hard handed possession receiver by age 30.   

It's an insult to Andre Reed to be compared to Moulds.   

the same Andre Reed who had 4  1000 yard seasons and none back to back, and only hit 10 TDs once in a 16 year career despite being healthy, having Jim Kelly throwing to him for 12 of them and starting for the overwhelming majority of it?

• Agree 1

Favorite post SB era player. He was incredible. I still remember reading one of the few SI articles about him after his '98 season where guys like Moss and TO were singing his praises. He was a top 3-4 receiver for a few seasons in the late 90s when the league was full of hall of famers. Will probably always be underrated but even the best considered him a peer.

He wasn't better than Reed at all though. It's Diggs/Reed...Moulds. And that's awesome. 3rd best all time Bills WR is huge. If they all had Prime Allen as Diggs does now, I think they'd still fall in that order.

Edited by Nelius

4 hours ago, purple haze said:

Moulds would be at the top if he had Josh Allen.  Lord have mercy, they would dominate even more than Allen and Diggs.  Moulds should have been a nationally known name based on his talent.   I think he will be on the wall eventually.  Not bad but he could’ve been HOF with consistent QB play.

Unfortunately that is the case for 75+ receivers over the years … moulds is not in a unique position 

He is not the first or last gifted receiver to play with less than ideal conditions … although his talent is top notch

12 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Just the facts.

From 2000-2004 Moulds averaged a massive 150 targets per season.......he was given a ton of opportunity.........he is what he did.......no excuses necessary.

The post merger Bills receiver who doesn't get enough love is easily Andre Reed.

He averaged 13.9 yards per catch for his career........8.3 yards per target and caught about 60% of his passes.   All much higher than Moulds in addition to dwarfing his overall numbers.

Andre Reed had 4 productive seasons in the NFL before the age that Moulds decided to show up and play for the first time in his career(age 25).........and he was still putting up big yards per target and per catch numbers several years later into his career than Moulds........even with the likes of Billy Joe Hobert and Todd Collins at QB.

It really doesn't matter how much production Reed had, it's clear you're going to do anything to smear Moulds talent and play, like attacking him personally.

What does that have anything to do with how he was on the field? 

At the end of the day, he had almost identical career numbers as Reed without any HOF quarterbacks... unlike Reed. He did just as much if not more with much less. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.