The Ringer: Josh Allen Needs to Chill

YoloinOhio

11 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I agree with the majority of your posts in this topic and elsewhere. However I don't agree completely with "Allen is to blame, not Dorsey." The analysis seems to indicate that the playcalling hasn't changed very much from Daboll to Dorsey. However what we cannot know and might be in play is the "MESSAGING" that Josh receives on a daily basis. Did Daboll wish Josh to be more disciplined and/or less agressive in his coaching? Is Dorsey a more lenient coach than Daboll?

THOSE are the things that none of us know.

We ALL love Josh and will ride or die with him. The question still remains, would he be a better/more effective QB is he dialed it back a bit? The unstated question in this article and discussion is what would make Josh Allen even more perfect?

Wrong takeaway. The question is "Which 50 yard incompletion/interception do you want to substittue for the 10 yard completion?"

No.

Using this analogy, the question is whether Josh could "make more money" by moderating his aggressiveness.

See, this is the thing. I don’t think you can make him more perfect. This is who he is. Asking him not to use the Canon that God gave him, is going to prevent A LOT of the magic that everyone loves. He’s not Mahomes. He has that mind control over the ball. Allen has that farm strength. Two different and incredibly enviable traits for two entirely different guys. No one would dream of asking Mahomes to stop softball tossing TD’s inside the 3.

Like I said, ride or die. 

• Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, ALLinALLEN said:

I'll pass on his assessment 

EVxHcIPWsAAi2cW.jpg

I listen to him on Simmons and he talks about the football nerds like he isn’t kne. This is why I take some of the analytic stuff with a grain of salt.

that said, it’s kinda true but it’s also what we have to accept with Allen. If the Fins qb is anyone but a dude named Skylar, that would be a loss. I fully believe in Allen and don’t want to take his aggressiveness away but I won’t hate him being more careful with the ball now that we are playing better teams. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

See, this is the thing. I don’t think you can make him more perfect. This is who he is. Asking him not to use the Canon that God gave him, is going to prevent A LOT of the magic that everyone loves. He’s not Mahomes. He has that mind control over the ball. Allen has that farm strength. Two different and incredibly enviable traits for two entirely different guys. No one would dream of asking Mahomes to stop softball tossing TD’s inside the 3.

Like I said, ride or die. 

I appreciate your opinion but don't agree.

When McDermott speaks of a "growth mindset" and when Josh Allen states that his offseason goals is to work on ball placement to increase his receivers' yards after catch, they're both talking about self-improvement.

That doesn't mean fundamentally changing how one plays the game, that means incremental improvements in certain areas.

I'm talking about a minor adjustment that could affect 1-2 throws per game.

Just win baby.

Enjoy the ride.

Many posters here need to gain some perspective. We are a perennial playoff team with a Top 3 QB and are going to be competitive for years after decades of futility. 

Who cares what the talking heads and armchair film analysts say? It means zero. Once you are in the playoffs anything goes and you need luck along with great execution.

Josh adjusts game to game. Take a deep breath, relax. Josh will take a couple check downs this game, he will still take deep shots. I don’t think it’s going to be a shootout unless we fall behind big and quick. I’m seeing a more ball control game from us with running the ball, moving the sticks and taking shots when warranted. If we need to, then Josh will put the game on his back/legs and bombs away! 

6 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Why can't we let Josh be Josh ?

I blame the Brady phenomenon. Historically the NFL had elite QB’s who succeeded by taking risks, and making aggressive downfield throws. Brady wins seven Super Bowl with the short passing game, and it all changes. I think that style has now become accepted as the “right” way to build an offense and elite QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

These kinds of articles are lay ups.  Easy, boring, kind of saying the obvious.  

Allen is a gunslinger. It's what makes Bills games the best, most watchable football in the NFL.  It's a rollercoaster, take your blood pressure meds and enjoy the ride.

I love your comment but gunslinging turned last week’s game into far more of as challenge than it needed to be.  The question is can Josh, or will Josh, learn to dial it down when the situation calls for him to dial it down?   The Bills could have and should have won the Miami game easily.  From a an entertainment perspective this would have been boring.  From the team is trying to win the Lombardi, this would have been excellent.

Conjecture, but what would it have been worth to have pulled all of the starters in the 3Q because the game was cleanly put away?  

I know this post sounds like moaning after a key victory.  However, in a “one game live or die” season that the playoffs represent, a “dial down” capability and willingness might really have helped the team.

With all of that said, I would want no other QB in the league right now.  The ride is wild and fun.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

I love your comment but gunslinging turned last week’s game into far more of as challenge than it needed to be.  The question is can Josh, or will Josh, learn to dial it down when the situation calls for him to dial it down?   The Bills could have and should have won the Miami game easily.  From a an entertainment perspective this would have been boring.  From the team is trying to win the Lombardi, this would have been excellent.

Conjecture, but what would it have been worth to have pulled all of the starters in the 3Q because the game was cleanly put away?  

I know this post sounds like moaning after a key victory.  However, in a “one game live or die” season that the playoffs represent, a “dial down” capability and willingness might really have helped the team.

With all of that said, I would want no other QB in the league right now.  The ride is wild and fun.

I kinda agree but also still feel like if our WRs just caught the accurate passes, we win that game easily despite the way Allen was attacking.

But Allen definitely made the game harder than it needed to be as well. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.