Texas RB Bijan Robinson

Tipster19

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He's a nice complement to a roster with a lot of dynamic passing game play makers while playing across from the league's best and most physical defense.

But he's had just three 1,000 yard rushing seasons in 6 years..........and the Niners didn't spend the 1st round pick on him either.

On a per-play basis.........he's actually been slightly less productive running the ball than Devin Singletary in their careers............and while he is a really good receiver for a RB his per play numbers are well below that of expectation for a good slot receiver.    

The team that did use that first rounder on him only got worse as an organization for investing so much in him.        

CMC is a great player... And he might be - the 5th most important player in that offense?  Maybe 6?  

Deebo - YAC machine that makes that offense go.  Built like a running back, and impossible to tackle.  

Aiyuk - Good route runner - and also a good blocker.  

Trent Williams - Possibly the best LT in football

Kittle - All pro tight end, fantastic blocker that helps the run game go

Having said that - and on the topic specific to Buffalo.  Since we'll be picking fairly late (my guess is somewhere around 31 since Miami lost their pick), i don't mind saying "this guy is head and shoulders so much higher than every other RB in this draft, and previous drafts; i'd be stupid NOT to pick him" 

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

I mentioned a bunch of guys not named those lmao. Do you see Sanders and read Coates? 

Can you not show me a team

that has done better? Because you keep saying anyone and then not showing anyone.

Sanders didn't do much in Pittsburgh ( 2 decent years out of 4).  His career happened in Denver. 

So, yeah,  AJ Brown,  Smith-Shuster, D Johnson, Claypool (briefly), Wallace in the last 15 years. The rest?, nah.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Here’s some of my reasoning for Robinson being a good pick for us. The Bills have used 3 out of 4 years a high pick(s) on the RB position and they still don’t have a bell cow/elite RB. Using a late 1st rd pick also provides a 5th year option. Without getting into it too much but with our skilled position players’ contracts this option can provide big benefits to the roster shaping for the present and for the future.

Having an elite RB would actually help the 2nd WR position imo. Having one can help lessen the burden on that 2nd WR position. Something needs to be done NOW if you want to protect Josh. He cannot keep on going at this rate and still expect him to have any great length to his career. Simply put protect Josh from Josh because he will never pull up when it comes down to making a play on the field.

Under Kromer’s watch we led the league in rushing back 2015-2016. He is primarily a run block OL coach, less of a pass blocking coach. No doubt the Bills need better OL but they don’t have to be high draft picks, just better players. Anyone still remember Mike Williams? I do. To me drafting high OL are more of the exception than the rule, too many potential busts. 

Help in the secondary is always a need imo, especially at the Safety position currently but who is to say that Hamlin can never play football again and if so, under McDermott’s watch we have had a lot of success in that tier of defense without using a ton of high end resources in the draft. 

Make no mistake about it, a Kamara type RB like Robinson is EXACTLY what this offense needs and lacks at this time and also for the forebear able future. Imagine having Josh, Diggs, Davis or a better replacement, Beasley/Crowder/Shakir, Robinson and Cook with a revamped OL. Yeah, this works and I like it!

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

Here’s some of my reasoning for Robinson being a good pick for us. The Bills have used 3 out of 4 years a high pick(s) on the RB position and they still don’t have a bell cow/elite RB. Using a late 1st rd pick also provides a 5th year option. Without getting into it too much but with our skilled position players’ contracts this option can provide big benefits to the roster shaping for the present and for the future.

Having an elite RB would actually help the 2nd WR position imo. Having one can help lessen the burden on that 2nd WR position. Something needs to be done NOW if you want to protect Josh. He cannot keep on going at this rate and still expect him to have any great length to his career. Simply put protect Josh from Josh because he will never pull up when it comes down to making a play on the field.

Under Kromer’s watch we led the league in rushing back 2015-2016. He is primarily a run block OL coach, less of a pass blocking coach. No doubt the Bills need better OL but they don’t have to be high draft picks, just better players. Anyone still remember Mike Williams? I do. To me drafting high OL are more of the exception than the rule, too many potential busts. 

Help in the secondary is always a need imo, especially at the Safety position currently but who is to say that Hamlin can never play football again and if so, under McDermott’s watch we have had a lot of success in that tier of defense without using a ton of high end resources in the draft. 

Make no mistake about it, a Kamara type RB like Robinson is EXACTLY what this offense needs and lacks at this time and also for the forebear able future. Imagine having Josh, Diggs, Davis or a better replacement, Beasley/Crowder/Shakir, Robinson and Cook with a revamped OL. Yeah, this works and I like it!

So... isn't Cook a Kamara type?  

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Motor is probably going to walk with Cook & Hines splitting the rock. 

I don't see any RBs being signed unless they are UDFAs or a cheap FA option. 

I think he will be back. He won’t have a market so steep that we can’t be competitive and I see him giving us the home team discount to stay. 

46 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

CMC is a great player... And he might be - the 5th most important player in that offense?  Maybe 6?  

Deebo - YAC machine that makes that offense go.  Built like a running back, and impossible to tackle.  

Aiyuk - Good route runner - and also a good blocker.  

Trent Williams - Possibly the best LT in football

Kittle - All pro tight end, fantastic blocker that helps the run game go

Having said that - and on the topic specific to Buffalo.  Since we'll be picking fairly late (my guess is somewhere around 31 since Miami lost their pick), i don't mind saying "this guy is head and shoulders so much higher than every other RB in this draft, and previous drafts; i'd be stupid NOT to pick him" 

Yeah he might be the 2nd or 3rd best RB in the NFL but yet he could be the 6th most important player on their offense.

That should tell you something..........RB is generally the least important individual player on offense in the game today.

Regarding the draft:

As I have been saying for a couple decades on TSW........the draft is a process not just an annual event.

You don't stray from your process from year to year.

To put a finer point on it.........the Bills first round pick at this stage is perhaps their only chance to acquire a player who could become a $20M-$30M per year market value premium position player.

1 minute ago, KzooMike said:

I think he will be back. He won’t have a market so steep that we can’t be competitive and I see him giving us the home team discount to stay. 

Barkley

Hunt

Williams

Jacobs

Mostert

Sanders

Wilson

Montgomery
Harris

Pollard

Thats quite a few dudes.  I don't know if he's back but i also don't know that we do much here and try and bring in a few UDFAs.  

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah he might be the 2nd or 3rd best RB in the NFL but yet he could be the 6th most important player on their offense.

That should tell you something..........RB is generally the least important individual player on offense in the game today.

Regarding the draft:

As I have been saying for a couple decades on TSW........the draft is a process not just an annual event.

You don't stray from your process from year to year.

To put a finer point on it.........the Bills first round pick at this stage is perhaps their only chance to acquire a player who could become a $20M-$30M per year market value premium position player.

Late in the first is a good spot to get a 5 year contract value.  So look at a player who can make an impact (on field and financial) over that value.  A tackle if the value is there would be my hope.  Many have potential to kick inside early on, have plus athleticism, and can push spencer brown to play better. 

34 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Barkley

Hunt

Williams

Jacobs

Mostert

Sanders

Wilson

Montgomery
Harris

Pollard

Thats quite a few dudes.  I don't know if he's back but i also don't know that we do much here and try and bring in a few UDFAs.  

Late in the first is a good spot to get a 5 year contract value.  So look at a player who can make an impact (on field and financial) over that value.  A tackle if the value is there would be my hope.  Many have potential to kick inside early on, have plus athleticism, and can push spencer brown to play better. 

For some people the need for difference makers at premium positions isn't seen as important for some reason..........so if you think you need a RB,  what can I say?........there are still desperate NFL teams with GM's/Coaches on short leashes that still do it(usually pretty soon before they are fired)........so until that stops there will always be some way for fans to justify it despite it being clearly illogical. 

So I will say this.........before people fall for the notion that THIS RB is different..........remember that Pacheco of the Chiefs ran for 3.9 yards per carry as a senior(not much below his feeble 4.3 ypc career average) at Rutgers and entered the NFL and ran for 4.9 ypc and over 800 yards for the Chiefs.

You won't see players at premium positions with that kind of production and low draft pick status breaking out for the first time in college or pro like that as an NFL rookie. 

It's by far the position on offense most reliant on the other 10 players on that side of the ball to succeed.

So take the college results and tape with a pile of salt as RB's go...........and then remember how little overall impact,  hell even just first contract impact,  that most 1st round RB's have produced for the team that selected them in the past 20 years.    

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

Is there any shot for the Bills to draft him? He sure would make our offense a whole bunch different.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=5Mmtfmqb0MI&feature=shares

Daniel Jeremiah thinks so. 😄

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-2023-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-texans-ravens-among-four-teams-selecting

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea… a first round pick would be even worse considering the investment they’ve already made at the position.

Seems like a byproduct of their days in Carolina where they devalued WR and overvalued RBs… guess they haven’t learned. Hopefully this year has really hammered home the point they need to invest more at the position.

More like a line of thinking that premium pic should go to the Defense

I mean, I’m not really complaining because I think Groot is going to be a very good player for us, but what I wouldn’t give for Mike Evans tee Higgins type player

Speed and size that can catch the ball

6 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Daniel J has us taking him in the mock. Calls him too 10 talent at devalued position. Would have best backfield in nfl with him.  Get we and OL in fa and 2nd round—when the best C/G is likely there.  

So what do you do with the RB that you used a 2nd round pick on and is averaging 5.7 yards per carry?     Give them the same split Cook has with Singletary?   Take the ball out of the hands of your QB to average about 2-3 yards less per play than throwing it at a 7.6 yards per attempt clip?

For guys like Jeremiah it's just a thoughtless pick.

The Bills have a franchise QB who has taken a beating the past two seasons but the answer isn't to run the ball more.   It's block better and give him more receivers who win matchups so he can go back to being that guy he was in 2020 who was making huge plays in the passing game while also completing nearly 70% of his passes and looked like he had 15 elite years in front of him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I really like Robinson, and I seriously doubt he gets to the Bills anyway. But the very idea of a 1st Rd RB, no matter how good, makes no sense to me for the Bills. Plus, I think this will be a pretty decent RB Draft anyway...There's very likely going to be value on Day 3...

Even as early as it is, I would be shocked if the Bills don't go WR in the 1st...Granted other things can happen, and certainly Safety and O-Line will be possibilities, but I think Beane knows. We need another young weapon at WR. Maybe we get lucky too. Christian Watson went #34 overall...Pickens went #52...Just find the right guy, #17 will do the rest. B-)

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So what do you do with the RB that you used a 2nd round pick on and is averaging 5.7 yards per carry?     Give them the same split Cook has with Singletary?   Take the ball out of the hands of your QB to average about 2-3 yards less per play than throwing it at a 7.6 yards per attempt clip?

For guys like Jeremiah it's just a thoughtless pick.

The Bills have a franchise QB who has taken a beating the past two seasons but the answer isn't to run the ball more.   It's block better and give him more receivers who win matchups so he can go back to being that guy he was in 2020 who was making huge plays in the passing game while also completing nearly 70% of his passes and looked like he had 15 elite years in front of him.

Why didn't Marino win a SB? How did Elway finally win a SB? Two of the better passers in NFL history. It's about winning a SB, isn't it? 

Edited by Solomon Grundy
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.