JoPo's message to Bills Mafia

Toomstone.Part.Duex

2 hours ago, dorquemada said:

Find a way to keep him.  I have faith in Beane on this.  The Bills are a better team and the D is a lot more steady when he's in.  His presence allows the DBs to swing for the fences more, and has the passion that the D seems to otherwise lack in his absence.  Git r done Beane!

I really think underlying injuries which I think will require off season surgery may hinder resigning him , esp with his age.  I hate the idea of losing him, but it sure looks unlikely the Bills retain him.  Sad as this last season Hyde / poyer only got a couple of games together. Maybe Hamlins situation plays a role if he has any ongoing issues.  Why turnover more than needed but it’s about poyers demands as well.  He has been a great Bill and one of my fav safeties like Leonard Smith , Kelso , Hyde , poyer.  I would even prefer him over Oliver for resigning.  The line has proven to be interchangeable or rotatable; the defensive backfield not so much.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, pigpen65 said:

Love Poyer. The guy is just ***** awesome. Great player, great teammate. The Bills getting him and Hyde was just a blessing. Both would be on the Mount Rushmore of this particular core. The thought of not resigning him is crazy to me, but I don't understand the cap stuff all that well. I'm 100% positive I would 

rather have him than Miller though.

No one wants to see Poyer go but it is the most likely scenario.

While the cap can be "managed and manipulated" to a certain degree it does limit what teams can realistically do, despite what some

fans think. 

Poyer will see what the market will bring him.  I can see some team needing to build a D that has money and pick paying him some big $s.

Heck, the Bears could sign him to a 3 year $15M per contract that they can get out of after 2 without blinking.  There's no way Brandon Beane

can make that work.

33 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Gotcha. I should rephrase that as he was underpaid, before the contract with new money. Being right at that 9.5ish spot I think is the correct value. It seems like he thinks he should get paid like those other guys, but he shouldn't imo. 

Someone in that house thinks that, but I'm not sure it's him pushing for it

• Like (+1) 1

He wants to get paid, and there will be teams willing to pay more than the Bills.

He's been great, we love him, but overpaying for a physical guy that's bruised, battered and on the wrong side of 32 is not smart.

Even 10m per sounds like way too much to me. If we find a way to work it out, great. If not, I wish him the best. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dorquemada said:

Find a way to keep him.  I have faith in Beane on this.  The Bills are a better team and the D is a lot more steady when he's in.  His presence allows the DBs to swing for the fences more, and has the passion that the D seems to otherwise lack in his absence.  Git r done Beane!

Do you resign Poyer at the expense of Edmonds or Oliver? It’s not as simple as resigning Poyer, because we can’t resign everyone. Edmonds is showing his value, and he is still just 26, I don’t think it makes sense to sign Poyer at the expense of Edmonds. Maybe they can sign both though, but that doesn’t seem likely. 

Also, McDermott knows db’s and no one expected Poyer to be what he became when BUF brought him in as a FA. Perhaps another guy coming off of a rookie contract can be brought in at a reasonable price and play above their salary cost? 

12 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

For the sake of conversation and my curiosity, who you thinking?

edmunds, singletary, keenum, saffold, phillips, matakevich, crowder.......all before poyer....to name a few

then you could look at who has low dead cap.....and clear cap space

Edited by papazoid

40 minutes ago, Tanoros said:

Perhaps another guy coming off of a rookie contract can be brought in at a reasonable price and play above their salary cost? 

Interesting name who will be a UFA is Byron Murphy of the Cardinals. Former second round pick out of Washington. He is coming off an injury currently on IR. He's a slow corner with great instincts, tackles, plays zone, and is a ball hawk. To me he is a guy that would benefit to a move to safety. I think he could be one of the top guys in the league if he makes that move. Coming off an injury and coaching changes he could fall through the cracks a bit. 

A guy with less pedigree I like is Nik Needham of the Dolphins. He is a mostly a nickel player, but I love the way he tackles and plays. IMO a lot of his traits project well to safety. He is also on IR with a torn achilles. 

Those guys are both corner converts. In terms of pure safeties you have a variety of types, guys like Jessie Bates, Juan Thornhill, Taylor Rapp, Andrew Wingard, Nasir Adderley and one of my favorites Chauncey Gardner-Johnson. 

All of these guys are in the 24-27 year old range. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Tanoros said:

Edmonds is showing his value, and he is still just 26, I don’t think it makes sense to sign Poyer at the expense of Edmonds.

I thought Edmunds was like 19?

Didn't they draft him at about 14 years old?

Edited by WotAGuy

2 hours ago, Malazan said:

Sad, but true. He's also shown that he's at his best with Hyde out there directing traffic. There have been mental errors this year that aren't from the body breaking down that didn't happen with Hyde on the field. 

I'm certainly not paying him up there with Derwin James or Minkah Fitzpatrick. I'd slot him him around Eddie Jackson and Kevin Byard who make about $14m per year. So with a slight raise on that at around $15m per year for 3-4 (although real years being at 2).

I'd generally consider family irrelevant, but his wife sure doesn't help his negotiating position.

Poyer should be no where near 15 million.  I wouldn't go over 10 with him on a 2 year deal, that essentially can get out of for very little dead cap after 2023.

The Bills are eventually gonna have to move on from both Hyde and Poyer.  I would rather not do it at the same time.  I would rather draft a safety high (Even in first round, Branch from Alabama), and have the rookie play with Hyde and White in his rookie year.  We need to start transitioning away from this safety duo.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Toomstone.Part.Duex said:

Shame on him for creating a distraction just before a playoff game. Seriously... the dude could not just wait to thank everyone AFTER we win the SB? :D seriously though. Wait till its done for all this... STUPID..  this video reeks of drama "look at me look at me". JP I will always respect what you have done for the team and for Buffalo BUT... this could of waited till after the fact...

Come On Man.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

We are undoubtedly a better team with Poyer on the field.

Having said that his salary and contract status seems to crop up regularly as a discussion topic in comparison to every other Buffalo Bills player.

Best case scenario with him I think is for the Bills to win a Super Bowl this year and he can leave to potentially grab a better deal elsewhere.

Similar to what Von did last year, win a Super Bowl and "seek a new challenge".

Edmunds is going to get paid this off-season and it better be by the Bills.  Poyer absolutely deserves top Safety money but he is 31 and Edmunds is 24.  It's a no brainier.  I love all pro po but it can't be at the expense of this teams future.  Next man up.  

59 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

I thought Edmunds was like 19?

Didn't they draft him at about 14 years old?

Edmunds is actually only 24.  The dude was 18 the day he was drafted.  He hasn't entered his prime yet.  

Edited by Mark92
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, papazoid said:

he's a class act

she's a trouble maker and a selfish distraction at the wrong time

i'm guessing he will still be a bill next season....i see others as a cap casualty before poyer

This will be his last shot at significant money.  He is an all pro safety and deserves that money.  He and his wife have been very vocal the past 2 years about him wanting deserved money and can't believe buffalo hasn't gotten it done yet.  Seems like they will decide to look elsewhere if Beane offers him a below market value contract.  

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

Poyer should be no where near 15 million.  I wouldn't go over 10 with him on a 2 year deal, that essentially can get out of for very little dead cap after 2023.

The Bills are eventually gonna have to move on from both Hyde and Poyer.  I would rather not do it at the same time.  I would rather draft a safety high (Even in first round, Branch from Alabama), and have the rookie play with Hyde and White in his rookie year.  We need to start transitioning away from this safety duo.

There was a very deep S draft last year. I'm very surprised Buffalo did not address safety last year. Hyde and Poyer were both over 30, expensive and nearing their contract/ career end.

When you have a quarter billion dollar QB you have to backfill expensive aging vets with young talent and precision trades and some mid tier FAs.

Poyer, Hyde, Milano and White are my favorite Bills defenders. But at some point age and cost catch up. JAs contract was no surprise, the ink is dry and has been for a while. The 5 premium picks in the defensive front 6/7 selected during Allen's rookie window need to pan out and start producing better.

Buffalo may have to pivot to being an offensive juggernaut and make the top draft picks on offense for the next year or two until the cap situation become better. KC and Cincy have followed this approach. They plan on scoring lots of points and hope the defense can get a stop or turnover.

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

No one wants to see Poyer go but it is the most likely scenario.

While the cap can be "managed and manipulated" to a certain degree it does limit what teams can realistically do, despite what some

fans think. 

Poyer will see what the market will bring him.  I can see some team needing to build a D that has money and pick paying him some big $s.

Heck, the Bears could sign him to a 3 year $15M per contract that they can get out of after 2 without blinking.  There's no way Brandon Beane

can make that work.

I admire Poyer, stand up, quality guy.

Now if he can get a 3-year, $15 million deal I would urge him to take it and run.  At 32 that is rich.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.