JoPo's message to Bills Mafia

Toomstone.Part.Duex

28 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Sounds like he already knows this is his last season here...

He's saying "could be" and "I don't know"

I'm personally on the 'Pay Poyer" train with my heart, but my head looks at the FA list plus the drafted players we need to work on signing, and shakes my head

If we weren't already committed to another year of Hyde, it would be different.

• Agree 2

Really tough evaluation. They are in a  tough spot here with Poyer and Edmunds coming up, as well as having some other issues on the roster. If I have to choose between Poyer and Hyde, I take Hyde (despite the fact that he has missed the entire season.) But Poyer is a warrior who belongs here and should finish his career here. 

He is underpaid, but he should not approach the Derwin James type contract. At the end of the day it is very much a buyer beware with him. A guy who did nothing before he got here and developed into a great player in a system he is tailor made for. Then consider age and injury history, I do not think free agency is going to be kind to him. 

His comp in terms of level of play and age etc is probably Tyrann Mathieu, who as a free agent last year signed a 3 year 28 million dollar deal, 9.5 per year. I think that is fair. I think the Bills let him test the market to see his value, with an eye on bringing him back. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

He'll be 32 next year - which isn't a death sentence at the position.  I'd personally rather keep him than oliver.  

Disagree. Po has been great. One of my all time favourite Bills. But the bills defense is a different unit when Ed Oliver is playing well. If Po was 29 I'd be screaming for them to extend him (and indeed was when he was last due) but a team where the Bills are in their cycle can't commit big money to a 32 year old safety and Po deserves the chance maximise his money in FA. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, GolfandBills said:

Bills got some tough decisions to make coming up.  I don’t envy Beane at all

For Edmunds and Poyer, they can definitely sign them.  They can convert salary into bonus money for players like Allen, Diggs, Knox, etc and free up cap space to sign these guys.  They already have an idea of what the cap would look like next year and maybe even the year after that, so they can forecast what it would look like.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

1st let me say I hope they figure it out on how to keep him. But should we lose him I wonder if anyone who has a good year or two left in them would be more affordable. Definitely gonna be an interesting offseason.

I think you can go two routes, if you have to spend to keep Poyer I would probably just go after the big fish which is Jesse Bates. He's a great fit and would play well with Hyde. 

The other route is too look for undervalued FA corners (like Hyde and Poyer were) who could make an impact as a safety conversion. 

5 minutes ago, BillyBilliams said:

For Edmunds and Poyer, they can definitely sign them.  They can convert salary into bonus money for players like Allen, Diggs, Knox, etc and free up cap space to sign these guys.  They already have an idea of what the cap would look like next year and maybe even the year after that, so they can forecast what it would look like.

I believe this will happen. This team is a brotherhood. 

14 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Poor guy was always a victim of numbers. First it was "wait your time, you're next to get paid"...now it's "you're 32 and we can't pay you as the top safety in football"

You gotta feel for the guy, has done everything by the book and will likely have to look elsewhere to get paid like the top safety.

He's been getting paid as a top safety for multiple years now.

After the first three games of the season, Poyer has been pretty average, maybe even below average.

Obviously the injures have hurt him, but I don't see those just disappearing.  Getting old stinks.

Last 10 games: 646, snaps, 37 solo tackles, 54 total tackles, 3 TFL, 0 QB hits, 0 INT, 2 pass defended

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.