Dorsey will interview with Carolina this weekend for head coaching job

Mopreme

2 hours ago, Beast said:

The Bills gained 28 more yards per game this season than last year so I don’t know where all these Dorsey detractors are coming from.

They come out of the woodwork, that’s the home of all detractors, me, I just think a couple of minor changes would make the offense all the better, ie; taking a small number of open shorter outlet passes to move the chains instead of punting, but that’s likely just me…, 

GO BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/19/2023 at 10:20 PM, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Both fell in love with the pass. Cook and Singletary have a combined 4.98 ypc average this year. For them to only have a combined 266 attempts is bad for the offense imo. Would take some pressure off Josh and open some things up in the passing game if they established a running game.

Yet we finished 3rd last year and 2nd this year in points per game.  We finished 5th in yards last year and 2nd this year.  Yards per carry were 4.8 yards last year (6th) and 5.2 yards this year (2nd).  We finished with 2209 rushing last year in one more game than the 2232 yards rushing this year.  Third down % is better (52% to 46%) and fourth down % is better (53.8% to 50%), red zone td percentage is only slightly worse (60.3% to 62.4%), and the percentage of drives that ended in points is nearly identical (45.2% to 45%).  

If I'm a GM out there and I look at these numbers I think Dorsey was able to maintain and even improve in some areas the Bills offense from 2021 even after Daboll left for the Giants.  The latter is now in the running for coach of the year and is gaining the reputation of an offensive genius.  Why shouldn't Dorsey be a head coaching candidate?

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

Yet we finished 3rd year and 2nd this year in points per game.  We finished 5th in yards last year and 2nd this year.  Yards per carry were 4.8 yards last year (6th) and 5.2 yards this year (2nd).  We finished with 2209 rushing last year in one more game than the 2232 yards rushing this year.  Third down % is better (52% to 46%) and fourth down % is better (53.8% to 50%), red zone td percentage is only slightly worse (60.3% to 62.4%), and the percentage of drives that ended in points is nearly identical (45.2% to 45%).  

If I'm a GM out there and I look at these numbers I think Dorsey was able to maintain and even improve in some areas the Bills offense from 2021 even after Daboll left for the Giants.  The latter is now in the running for coach of the year and is gaining the reputation of an offensive genius.  Why shouldn't Dorsey be a head coaching candidate?

Because turnovers are the only thing that matters, and don't even get the masses started on redzone turnovers. I guess I don't understand your question, as I never even hinted at what my thoughts were on Dorsey's HC abilities one way or the other. I simply made a statement that was/is true for both OCs, we don't run enough. You listed a few reasons for and I'm not going to argue any of them, but let me play devils advocate.

The 1st and probably biggest reason I would pass on Dorsey despite him replicating the offense's results from last year would be experience. He's had 1 year as an OC and all his previous experience has been as a QB Coach. He got to start his tenure with a top 3 qb and top 3 wr. While the qb coach as fans of this team we know Dorsey helped develop Josh, but outside of this area, I would think Daboll gets most of the credit. And maybe deservingly so as Jones already looks quite a bit better with no weapons at WR.

They both ran the ball with exactly the same consistency. Based on their attempts through 16 games they would've finished right around 457 attempts, last year was 461. The increase in ypc and this year's total is nothing more than swapping Moss for this year's 2nd rounder Cook.

I think it's safe to say that people clearly remember redzone results & turnovers over big plays and points scored, just watch TV over the last week and you can see that. Add to that the video of him slamming his ipad at the end of the Miami. I personally don't have a problem with it, but some owners and GMs probably will. Either way I think he'll eventually will get one, but I don't think he gets one this year.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NUT said:

Hope he gets the job and the Bills hire someone who can properly coach Allen.

I think he needs a Coach who is not his buddy perhaps ?

51 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Because turnovers are the only thing that matters, and don't even get the masses started on redzone turnovers. I guess I don't understand your question, as I never even hinted at what my thoughts were on Dorsey's HC abilities one way or the other. I simply made a statement that was/is true for both OCs, we don't run enough. You listed a few reasons for and I'm not going to argue any of them, but let me play devils advocate.

The 1st and probably biggest reason I would pass on Dorsey despite him replicating the offense's results from last year would be experience. He's had 1 year as an OC and all his previous experience has been as a QB Coach. He got to start his tenure with a top 3 qb and top 3 wr. While the qb coach as fans of this team we know Dorsey helped develop Josh, but outside of this area, I would think Daboll gets most of the credit. And maybe deservingly so as Jones already looks quite a bit better with no weapons at WR.

They both ran the ball with exactly the same consistency. Based on their attempts through 16 games they would've finished right around 457 attempts, last year was 461. The increase in ypc and this year's total is nothing more than swapping Moss for this year's 2nd rounder Cook.

I think it's safe to say that people clearly remember redzone results & turnovers over big plays and points scored, just watch TV over the last week and you can see that. Add to that the video of him slamming his ipad at the end of the Miami. I personally don't have a problem with it, but some owners and GMs probably will. Either way I think he'll eventually will get one, but I don't think he gets one this year.

Kromer runs the running game, and why we have looked better and better when we do run. Its not play calling so much as coaching the O line is up and ready for it.
Aaron has done a very nice job with what he has to work with.
Dorsey is QB coach and wants to pass the ball. and so does Josh, of course :)

Edited by 3rdand12

9 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Agree, a “real” seamless integration of a run game into this offense would be a very good thing, the run game at present, imo, nearly always appears to be disjointed and an afterthought. It’s like they don’t know what else to do so they call a run play,  and it is generally obvious that that’s what they are going to do, 

GO BILLS!!!

I thought last year it was daboll that didn’t want to run the ball, but now I do believe it’s McDermott…. It’s hard to believe McDermott can’t get a first year play caller to run the ball. 

7 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I wouldn’t hire him either based on all the valid points you made.  I think he’s done enough to warrant an interview though as I’d like to get a feel for a lot of the intangible stuff we don’t get to see if I was looking for a young offensive minded head coach.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I wouldn’t hire him either based on all the valid points you made.  I think he’s done enough to warrant an interview though as I’d like to get a feel for a lot of the intangible stuff we don’t get to see if I was looking for a young offensive minded head coach.

Carolina is his only interview I believe. Only 5 jobs this year (unusually low by modern standards) so that plays a part but I think it is interesting that the only interview he has is a place where he has coached before and where he has familiarity with Dan Morgan as the assistant GM. I suspect he'd have to really wow them to get the gig, more likely it is a feel him out type interview. But if he can put another solid year of productive offense on film (which let's be honest with Josh he should) I suspect he gets more looks next year. 

Slight tangent but this is one of the wierdest hiring periods I can remember. There doesn't seem to be a single consensus candidate that everyone is talking to in the way there sometimes is. Sean Payton is the biggest fish, obviously, but otherwise it really is an open field. 

17 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

They come out of the woodwork, that’s the home of all detractors, me, I just think a couple of minor changes would make the offense all the better, ie; taking a small number of open shorter outlet passes to move the chains instead of punting, but that’s likely just me…, 

GO BILLS!!!

Is that on Dorsey though?

There are open options on all three levels - Josh decides where to put the ball.

Josh chose one on one 40 yard passes versus wide open quick dump offs.

They set up an RPO and a large majority of the time Josh pulls the ball and tries to fit a pass in.  He is a hugely aggressive player and no OC will change that.  He gets better and worse with coaching, but the aggressiveness that we love is there.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Is that on Dorsey though?

There are open options on all three levels - Josh decides where to put the ball.

Josh chose one on one 40 yard passes versus wide open quick dump offs.

They set up an RPO and a large majority of the time Josh pulls the ball and tries to fit a pass in.  He is a hugely aggressive player and no OC will change that.  He gets better and worse with coaching, but the aggressiveness that we love is there.

True enough, but the times when Josh takes a few more of the “dump off/short passes”  he has his most dominant games, and makes life substantially harder on defenses, and it is likely on Josh, and it is up to his OC to make that point, every time we punt instead of moving the chains. 

GO BILLS!!!

They need to make all of these interviews wait until the season is over I mean it's not like Dorsey has anything else on his mind right now that he needs to prepare for it needs to be a rule it's okay to ask them to interview & let it be known but wait until the task at hand is done at least until the 2 week break before the SB .

No team in the play offs need any distraction & this is for whoever is in the play offs .

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, T master said:

They need to make all of these interviews wait until the season is over I mean it's not like Dorsey has anything else on his mind right now that he needs to prepare for it needs to be a rule it's okay to ask them to interview & let it be known but wait until the task at hand is done at least until the 2 week break before the SB .

No team in the play offs need any distraction & this is for whoever is in the play offs .

The problem is the calendar is so truncated. The Senior Bowl is that empty weekend. That is your first chance to interview draft prospects and most of the time teams want their Head Coaches there for that. And now the Superbowl is a week later because of week 18 it means there is about a month between the Superbowl and Free Agency opening. That is incredibly tight to self scout your own roster work out as a new Head Coach who fits what you want, who you might be willing to let go, if any of your own FAs need to be re-signed negotiating those deals etc, then scout the guys who might be available FAs. 

I agree, in principle, the hiring season should start later to assist playoff teams but the NFL has created this year round calendar with only mid June to mid July as a real down month for people to get away, take a break etc. In that context to delay it puts new staffs at an even greater disadvantage and giving them an extra OTA or mini camp doesn't solve the problem. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.