1. 1. Who deserves to win AP Coach of the Year

• Kyle Shanahan
    • Brian Daboll
    • Nick Sirianni
    • Doug Pederson
    • Dan Campbell
    • Kevin O’Connell
    • Someone else

If you had any doubts about the truth of the old adage, "coaching matters", 2022 has to change your mind. 

• Brian Daboll with the Giants  :thumbsup:
  • Doug Pedersen with the Jags   :thumbsup:
  • Dan Campbell with the Lions :thumbsup:
  • Pete Carroll with the Seahawks  :thumbsup:

Not only did all four of these HCs turn their teams around with 3 of them making the playoffs and 2 of them winning a playoff game, but all of them resurrected the careers of their starting QBs.

Sean McDermott has kept his team winning despite some significant injuries on defense plus a series of events that could have been derailed many teams.

Kyle Shanahan has kept his team winning despite losing two starting QBs.

Andy Reid has kept his team winning despite the departure of Tyreek Hill, which was supposed to be KC's fatal flaw.

Nick Siriani has managed to keep his team atop the NFC despite losing hisnstarting QB for nearly month at the end of the season.

I voted for Daboll, mostly because of how Daniel Jones has blossomed under his tutelage, but I will have no complaints for any of the above winning it.  I think Daboll and Pedersen are the most likely to win simply because their teams -- and their QBs -- have already exceeded expectations by so much, but a Super Bowl win could very well give the honor to McDermott, Shanahan, Reid or Siriani.

11 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Shanahan turned Mr. Irrelevant into Filet Mignon.  

Well he was not an UDFA like other teams have turned into very serviceable QBs.

Frankly the draft is a turkey shoot with many busts some killed by coaches and others destroyed by impatient GMs.

10 hours ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

Daboll, and it's not even close.

The beginning of the Sean McDermott coaching tree. 

Despite Daboll being remodeled by being on McDermott's staff others will get credit.

This despite him not using strengths of other coaches he worked for (i.e. Beli-CHEAT's cheating).

Daboll would not be a candidate if he did not change even having Josh Allen as QB.

8 hours ago, Phils n Bills said:

Probably going to be Daboll or Pederson solely on football, however, it really should be McDermott with everything this team and city has gone through and somehow they’re still in it. If he doesn’t win coach of the year, he certainly deserves man of the year. 

Seriously. People are naming coaches simply because of their roster, but it's not all about roster. Looking back, McDermott had a terrible roster his first year and got to the playoffs, broke the drought, completely changed the culture of a franchise. He got to the AFCCG in Josh's 3rd year. Was the roster amazing then? It was certainly much better, but wasn't on the level of other teams like KC yet. It's also a roster he helped build, so applicable credit given there.

This year has been super rough on so many levels (strength of schedule, injuries, off-field hardships, weather,...) and he's done an amazing job. It's the full body of work, not just what kind of roster they had.

• Agree 1

As much there is an argument for Dabs and everyone else on the list, I chose pederson.  My reasoning is the Jags have been perpetual Lakers like the Giants, but Pederson took over a nightmare from Urban Meyer last year.  The same argument could be made for Dabs.

In a way, I can see McD how he navigated through so many obstacles, but the Bills were expected to be SB contenders.  For me 2020 should have gone to McD.

• Like (+1) 1

Gotta be Daboll.  His 1st season is eerily similar to McD's.  Change the culture and take a team nobody expected to the playoffs where they really shouldn't be, based on the roster.

Then he one-upped him by winning his first playoff game against a tough Vikings team that seemed to have a horseshoe crammed up its rear all season.  Blame whatever you want, but we didn't beat them.  Giants did.

It's rare, but I think this year's CotY is obvious.

9 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Well he was not an UDFA like other teams have turned into very serviceable QBs.

Frankly the draft is a turkey shoot with many busts some killed by coaches and others destroyed by impatient GMs.

When was the last time one of the Super Bowl final 4 within a conference or a top 2 seed has started a rookie 7th rounder or UFA QB?  I can't think of any prior to Purdy.  To have a late round/UFA rookie QB this ready is unheard of.  Even Brady was a 2nd year player as a 6th rounder the year before and had a full season riding the bench as the team's 4th string QB.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Agree 1

On 1/18/2023 at 12:12 PM, Albany,n.y. said:

Let's get real.  The clear winner is Kyle Shanahan, and when the real votes are in that's who will win in a landslide. Shanahan won his division, got the #2 seed & was undefeated in games started by the last player taken in the 2022 draft, QB Brock Purdy.  He's on his 3rd QB and winning with a guy who never started an NFL game before he went in late in December.

The poll above is the ultimate homer vote.  Daboll did a good job, but he had the 3rd best record in his own division.  Here's a dose of reality: The Giants were closer to last place in the NFC East than 1st place.  The biggest thing Daboll did was prove that Joe Judge had no business ever being a head coach in the NFL.  Daboll got a decent season out of the #6 overall pick, it's just not the same as winning with Mr. Irrelevant in his rookie year. 

He’s played a major part in 2 Super Bowl big failures, best to wait until after the season is over before giving him a vote.

3 hours ago, The Red King said:

Gotta be Daboll.  His 1st season is eerily similar to McD's.  Change the culture and take a team nobody expected to the playoffs where they really shouldn't be, based on the roster.

Then he one-upped him by winning his first playoff game against a tough Vikings team that seemed to have a horseshoe crammed up its rear all season.  Blame whatever you want, but we didn't beat them.  Giants did.

It's rare, but I think this year's CotY is obvious.

It's obviously Shanahan & the playoff game was after the votes were all in.  All the Daboll is a lock folks will be sorely disappointed when the voters from the entire nation & not just followers of east coast teams vote.  I wouldn't be surprised if Daboll finishes behind a coach in his own division, Nick Sirianni, who is the likely runner up.  Daboll might also end up behind Kevin O'Connell.  A 9-7-1 record while finishing 3rd in the division is not Coach of the Year material.  

Just now, Rico said:

He’s played a major part in 2 Super Bowl big failures, best to wait until after the season is over before giving him a vote.

But they vote when the season ends, so the playoffs don't count towards Coach Of The Year.  If they waited the Super Bowl winning coach would win every year.  

On 1/17/2023 at 10:47 PM, bobobonators said:

Who do you think should win? My vote is for Daboll:

1. He inherited a team with almost no talent outside Saquon Barkley and currently has them in the 2nd round of the playoffs. 

2. He turned Danny Dimes into a threat at QB and legitimately makes him look like a poor-man’s Allen. 

3. His already talent-deprived team was further decimated by injuries - especially at WR, and they basically have an entire new WR Corps from Week 1 and are all performing at a high level. It’s super impressive. 

4. Daboll’s massive watermelons between his legs set the tone for the season week 1 when his team went up agains the Titans, who were 12-5 last season, and instead of playing to not lose, he played to win and went for 2 late in the game with a minute left to win the game. 

I miss that man. Im very happy for him. He deserves to win AP Coach of the Year. 

The exact same thing McD did in 2017 after (checks notes) 17 year playoff drought. But New York I guess. 

Nobody has overcome more than Buffalo this year. Tops, Dawson's brother, Micah, first snow storm (3 games in 12 days), Von, Second storm (killed 40 people and stuck in Chicago), then Damar. I just don't understand how he's not in consideration. 

I would say Daboll or Shanahan. Daboll for all the reasons listed in the first post and Shanahan because he keeps losing starting QBs and offensive+defensive coordinators but his team just continues to roll. What he’s done with Brock Purdy (the last pick of this past draft) has been impressive.

Campbell.   That's a top 5 Offense they have now.  With the QB that the HOF HC in LA kicked to the curb.  With Jamaal Williams as their feature back. They won 3 games last year.  Won 9 this year with the worst Defense.  Embarrassed Aaron Rodgers in the Cornpone Coliseum---despite nothing to play for as they were  Kept out of the playoffs because of the atrocity the refs committed allowing Geno Smith into the playoffs.

This an easy one.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/17/2023 at 7:47 PM, bobobonators said:

Who do you think should win? My vote is for Daboll:

1. He inherited a team with almost no talent outside Saquon Barkley and currently has them in the 2nd round of the playoffs. 

2. He turned Danny Dimes into a threat at QB and legitimately makes him look like a poor-man’s Allen. 

3. His already talent-deprived team was further decimated by injuries - especially at WR, and they basically have an entire new WR Corps from Week 1 and are all performing at a high level. It’s super impressive. 

4. Daboll’s massive watermelons between his legs set the tone for the season week 1 when his team went up agains the Titans, who were 12-5 last season, and instead of playing to not lose, he played to win and went for 2 late in the game with a minute left to win the game. 

I miss that man. Im very happy for him. He deserves to win AP Coach of the Year. 

No disrespect, but I think its a crime you didn't list McD on this list.  IMHO he absolutely deserves to be on this poll, and really should be a top 3 candidate IMHO.

Daboll is a clear top choice, he has done more with less than any coach in the league this year.  But McD would be 2nd or 3rd IMHO. 

McD coached this team through the horrible things that have happened to the city of Buffalo, Matt Araiza situation, Knox's brother dying just before the season, Hamlin, and all the injuries and to be just 8 points away from a perfect season in one heck of a coaching job.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No disrespect, but I think its a crime you didn't list McD on this list.  IMHO he absolutely deserves to be on this poll, and really should be a top 3 candidate IMHO.

Daboll is a clear top choice, he has done more with less than any coach in the league this year.  But McD would be 2nd or 3rd IMHO. 

McD coached this team through the horrible things that have happened to the city of Buffalo, Matt Araiza situation, Knox's brother dying just before the season, Hamlin, and all the injuries and to be just 8 points away from a perfect season in one heck of a coaching job.  

Hard to argue against any of what you said. like I said in another post. I probably should have listed him, but I left him, Andy Reid, and Taylor off bc they were heavy favorites to win the SB. The rosters of the Bills, Bengals and Chiefs are pretty stacked. 

The only way McD or Andy should win that award is if they at least go to the Super Bowl. Thats my opinion. And I think the award is announced before the Super Bowl to honor the accomplishments during the regular season so I simply see no way they win coach of the year. 

As I said in another post, I’d rather have no one else be HC of the Bills. 

6 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Hard to argue against any of what you said. like I said in another post. I probably should have listed him, but I left him, Andy Reid, and Taylor off bc they were heavy favorites to win the SB. The rosters of the Bills, Bengals and Chiefs are pretty stacked. 

The only way McD or Andy should win that award is if they at least go to the Super Bowl. Thats my opinion. And I think the award is announced before the Super Bowl to honor the accomplishments during the regular season so I simply see no way they win coach of the year. 

As I said in another post, I’d rather have no one else be HC of the Bills. 

Yeah, I think the voting is done before the playoffs start actually because it only incorporates regular season.  

On one hand, you would think postseason performance should be factored in too...but then the award would more often than not just go to the SB winner and overlook guys who may not make it as far, but maybe were as deserving or more for what they accomplished with less to work with.  

I just think if everyone is taking all factors into consideration, McD (who most people have cooled on the quality of the Bills roster in terms of it being the best roster) being 8 points away from an undefeated season under all the conditions he has had navigate this season for the team is hands down one of the best coaching jobs of the year.  

If I had a vote, I would vote Daboll just given how bad that team performed with mostly the same roster before him and how he turned it around so fast.  But my next vote would be to McD followed by Pete Carrol who you also don't have on your list. 

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah, I think the voting is done before the playoffs start actually because it only incorporates regular season.  

On one hand, you would think postseason performance should be factored in too...but then the award would more often than not just go to the SB winner and overlook guys who may not make it as far, but maybe were as deserving or more for what they accomplished with less to work with.  

I just think if everyone is taking all factors into consideration, McD (who most people have cooled on the quality of the Bills roster in terms of it being the best roster) being 8 points away from an undefeated season under all the conditions he has had navigate this season for the team is hands down one of the best coaching jobs of the year.  

If I had a vote, I would vote Daboll just given how bad that team performed with mostly the same roster before him and how he turned it around so fast.  But my next vote would be to McD followed by Pete Carrol.  

All good points

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.