Wildcard game against Dolphins was longest home game in franchise history

Big Turk

Sundays game clocked in at 3 hours and 53 minutes, unofficially, which would make it the longest home game ever in franchise history.

The previous record didn't last long as that was the Vikings OT game from earlier this year which clocked in at 3 hours and 46 minutes.

If anyone wondered why it felt so late when the game was over, that was the reason.

https://www.wivb.com/sports/sundays-bills-game-was-longest-home-game-in-franchise-history/

Edited by Big Turk
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Of course it was. I had preplanned obligations that I was hoping this game wouldn't be in this time slot before the schedule was announced. Was able to move those obligations from 2pm to 4pm thinking id just be a bit late. I have never needed the game to end at 4 before and the one time I do it lasts til what? 5pm? 

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Of course it was. I had preplanned obligations that I was hoping this game wouldn't be in this time slot before the schedule was announced. Was able to move those obligations from 2pm to 4pm thinking id just be a bit late. I have never needed the game to end at 4 before and the one time I do, it lasts til what? 5pm? 

Weirdly, the Bills only had one scoring drive over 4 minutes (4:51). 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I looked at the time and it was around 4:00pm and they just ended the 3rd Qtr. i remember thinking what the hell?!?

Just a lot of injury stoppages, several long replay reviews, something like 45 pass incompletions, and the usual array of timeouts and referee stoppages.  It also seemed like the TV commercials were never ending and longer than regular season games. But i can’t say for sure 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

Of course it was. I had preplanned obligations that I was hoping this game wouldn't be in this time slot before the schedule was announced. Was able to move those obligations from 2pm to 4pm thinking id just be a bit late. I have never needed the game to end at 4 before and the one time I do it lasts til what? 5pm? 

I was flying home and game normally would have been over about 15 min before departure. Instead there was 12 min left in the 4th quarter as we pushed back. It was agonizing 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Success said:

It's mainly because the Dolphins went well past "0" on the play clock on every play.  Without the refs calling anything.

Yeah I don't think I have ever seen as many 0's on the play clock for a good second+ and get virtually no calls for it...they got the one on the key 4th and 1 but that was obvious.

• Like (+1) 1

It was long, early, if that makes any sense. The first quarter dragged forever. I typically put my kid down during half time for early games...there was 10 minutes left in Q2 when it was time for her to go down. It was an insanely long game and I still don't really understand it.

The game dragged on for so long.  Too many commercial timeouts and too long.  There was very little flow to the game.  The start of the 3rd quarter was crazy.  The Bills kicked off, Miami offense went 3 and out and then punted.  Next play Allen gets sacked, fumbled, and TD Miami.  There was 13:59 remaining in the 3rd quarter.  4 minutes of commercials for 1 minute of game time.  

9 hours ago, Success said:

It's mainly because the Dolphins went well past "0" on the play clock on every play.  Without the refs calling anything.

I actually went back and counted the plays when the play clock was at 0 before Miami snapped the ball.  SIX TIMES this happened.  It wasn't just my imagination.

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

The game dragged on for so long.  Too many commercial timeouts and too long.  There was very little flow to the game.  The start of the 3rd quarter was crazy.  The Bills kicked off, Miami offense went 3 and out and then punted.  Next play Allen gets sacked, fumbled, and TD Miami.  There was 13:59 remaining in the 3rd quarter.  4 minutes of commercials for 1 minute of game time.  

It felt like a college game. Which is not a good thing. 

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

And there were so many annoying things that happened in the 2nd and 3rd quarters that you were just champing at the bit to restart the game so you could put them out of your mind.  Come on, next play, let’s go.  Instead we had to wallow in the suckage while the NFL made more money. It was a really painful game to watch.  And when you have a wife who expects the game to be over at 4 and you have to keep saying “no honey, the game’s not over, you can’t come inside yet” it can make for some tense times on the home front…. 😈

Edited by BRH
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.