Cinci O Line injuries

ProcessTruster

15 hours ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

My large concern is there has been some pretty terrible officiating already in the playoffs, Bosa had every right to be pissed. He shouldn't act like child and hurt his team but he was being drug to the ground on 2 td passes directly in front of the refs, game changing blatant no calls. Then the roughing the passer on cousins was mind blowing. There's always bad calls but it feels like it's a matter of time until the bills get a terrible game changing call.

You gotta love that the Bills were only assessed 2 penalties for 13 yards against Miami.

A repeat of that level of discipline would be huge.

12 hours ago, IndyMark said:

Please no.

First, Ed is actually quite small for a DT.  In fact, during one of DaQuan Jones' first observation on becoming a Bill he expressed he was surprised how small Ed was.  Not sure why anyone would put "Big" as a descriptor for Ed?  Explosive, sure.  Big, nope.

Second, he does not have the frame or length to do anything of impact from the Edge.  He actually does better bull rushing against a double team because he is fast and small so he can split the two OL.  If he bull rushed 1 : 1 he would get planted on his back all day.  This is Physics 101.

Ed is likely about 25 pounds lighter than the average DT and about 3 inches shorter than the typical Edge along with his arm length being below average. 

Again, I want Ed to do well but we need to set realistic expectations.

You realize he had a few snaps from the edge last year and actually got a sack…

Also that Rousseau has rushed from the DT position. I think matching up Ed’s strength and quickness can help collapse the pocket. It’s not always about getting around the edge.

Edited by CEN-CAL17

15 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Maybe do the Marlowe intentionally where he drops into an area that doesn't make sense based on what the Bills have shown previously?  I mean he made a mistake and got a pick, so why not?  😂

Is that what happened, or are you kidding? 

6 minutes ago, finn said:

Ed Oliver: 6'1" 287

Aaron Donald: 6'1 285

I'll take tiny. 

Exactly and compare their combine results. 3 cone, 40 etc…. Ed needs to get the edge every now and then, just his strength could help collapse the pocket. Especially with a OG playing OT this week

58 minutes ago, finn said:

Is that what happened, or are you kidding? 

No, that's what he said.  He said he was playing the wrong coverage on that play and once he realized it, he just kinda did the best he could to get somewhere to make a play...happened to be exactly in the right place.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

After watching our #1 defense get shredded with 13 seconds left, I could care less about stats & analytics. The only thing that matters to me IS the smell & eye test.  

That was so last year, but somehow I like that this still bothers some of you here. Hoping some here still dream about it, wake up sweating about it, still cursing about it, kicking your dog about it, getting drunk about it, still complaining here about it…

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Dopey said:

That was so last year, but somehow I like that this still bothers some of you here. Hoping some here still dream about it, wake up sweating about it, still cursing about it, kicking your dog about it, getting drunk about it, still complaining here about it…

Don't hope for animal abuse. Unless it's specifically the Bengals and this Sunday. 

image.thumb.png.554473c96f44337aeb1004bd036ddbfe.png

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

You realize he had a few snaps from the edge last year and actually got a sack…

Also that Rousseau has rushed from the DT position. I think matching up Ed’s strength and quickness can help collapse the pocket. It’s not always about getting around the edge.

You realize we are in what, week 18/19 and Oliver has played a negligible amount of snaps at DE, right? If any?  Different year, different personnel.  You honestly believe McDermott and Frazier have overlooked plugging Oliver in at DE?

Perhaps they were desperate last year......and while DE may be struggling this year, it is not like Oliver is lighting the world on fire pass rushing from his DT position.  Finally, the only way Oliver collapses a pocket from the edge is in fact getting around it.  He is not going to bull rush anyone with any arm length.

Again, technique and physics limit, greatly, Oliver's ability to bull rush 1:1. Again, he is actually decent against a double team cuz he can likely squeeze in between the 2 OL.  But he ain't bull rushing anyone 1 : 1....unless of course it is a RB, TE, or some type of hybrid.

9 hours ago, finn said:

Ed Oliver: 6'1" 287

Aaron Donald: 6'1 285

I'll take tiny. 

Just to clarify, you would take Ed over Aaron?  Or you think Ed and Aaron are comparable players?

I am not sure a universe exists that either of those two are even remotely considered. 

Also, the original point was "average" size of DT.... BTW, those are the only two career "statistics" that one could compare Oliver and Donald...anthropometry.

If Oliver were fractionally as impactful as Donald, we would be so so lucky.  As fate has it, he is not.

On 1/17/2023 at 2:20 PM, Beast said:

If the Bills d-line lays an egg against the Bengals our GM may be under the microscope for all the high draft picks and salary cap space he has spent on that unit. There is no reason we shouldn’t see a strong performance and anything less will be a big organizational failure.

Correct.

1 minute ago, CoudyBills said:

One of these guys is not like the other

I was flummoxed when the poster replied in that manner as well.  I am all about being optimistic, but at some point reality sets in.

Today? Reality set in.  I have to think those that have mocked my position that Ed, while seemingly a great dude, is just not up to snuff as an NFL DT have learned a lesson in reality.  Yet, the probability exists they will remain with their blinkered vision.

As long as Beane and McD have learned, I am ok with that.

• Agree 1

It’s almost some sort of sadistic pleasure I’m getting in seeing the backup Bengals offensive linemen completely and utterly destroy every single Bills defender while the Artist Formerly Known as Joe Burrow twinkles and tippy toes his way inside their iron wall of protection and dominance. It’s soothing in a way, to see what real Men do to little fake football NFL’ers. 

Edited by Thrivefourfive

On 1/17/2023 at 6:23 PM, TH3 said:
On 1/17/2023 at 5:49 PM, Matt_In_NH said:

last week.  Did you see the dolphins online situation and watch the game?   They had to blitz to get any preasure

Yes …I saw a D that limited the opponent to 2.3 yards per play, 190 passing, 40 yards rushing, chased ST all day sacking him 4 times, picking him off….Yes…you blitz to get pressure….Bills have a D scheme that does that in specific situations and it has worked successfully for years…but pretty sure your smell test is the way to go

What did you see this week?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.