Cinci O Line injuries

ProcessTruster

3 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Think about it like this:

If our OL we’re facing similar injury challenges, the lineup would be…

Hart - Saffold - Morse - Botteger - Quess

Idc who their back ups are, the people saying that it doesn’t matter much are just wrong. It makes a tremendous difference. Not only in the run game, but also calling protections, line calls, or how pairs of guys pick up stunts, pressures, work with TEs or RBs in pass pro. 

Just ignoring the potential implications because there aren’t any (healthy) super star pass rushers on the DL is a lazy critique looking to complain. 

I can guarantee the board would be all over how much of a liability it’d be to be down 3 starting OL…and that’s considering the talent level of the players we’d be losing vs there’s isn’t as substantial for us. 

You might not see the outcome in a measurable means, but it will undoubtedly be a factor in many facets of the game IMO

Can’t you read? Our Dline sucks and Cinci could shuffle the Moeller High dudes out and Oliver and Rousseau won’t sniff Joe Cool!

30 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

last week.  Did you see the dolphins online situation and watch the game?   They had to blitz to get any preasure

Yes …I saw a D that limited the opponent to 2.3 yards per play, 190 passing, 40 yards rushing, chased ST all day sacking him 4 times, picking him off….Yes…you blitz to get pressure….Bills have a D scheme that does that in specific situations and it has worked successfully for years…but pretty sure your smell test is the way to go

A HEALTHY Jordan Philipps has been a force this year. But this has been just a few games. Hopefully he plays Sunday but he has to be back to form too.

I too was a bit shocked that the Bills DLine couldn't overmatch the Dolphins backups. Stunts, occasional blitz, whatever it takes!

• Like (+1) 2

Andrew Russell

@Andrew_Russell7

·

Follow

With Von Miller, the Bills ranked 4th in the NFL in pressure rate (34.4%) with 4 or less pass rushers. Since his injury, the Bills are 27th in the NFL in pressure rate (25.4%) with 4 or less pass rushers.

11:11 AM · Jan 17, 2023

Read the full conversation on Twitter

For those (few) who say Von hasn't been missed. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 2

15 minutes ago, TH3 said:

Yes …I saw a D that limited the opponent to 2.3 yards per play, 190 passing, 40 yards rushing, chased ST all day sacking him 4 times, picking him off….Yes…you blitz to get pressure….Bills have a D scheme that does that in specific situations and it has worked successfully for years…but pretty sure your smell test is the way to go

The defense did great overall but pressure had to be manufactured.  I did not mean to say the they had a bad game overall.   There have been games that pressure from the front 4 is not there.  That is what you need against Burrow and Mahomes.  We are not playing Mike White and Skylar Thompson anymore.

3 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

Im with the others as infuriating as it is with all the draft capital and FA money spent on the Dline, without Von we don't have anyone to really exploit weaknesses.  Dolphind had a 3rd string Qb in and we almost lost 

I think you are looking at the score and not the stat sheet....offense gave Miami their points...the defense did exceptionally well at limiting what Miami was able to do with turnovers

4 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

One sack isn’t going to do anything. 

I think it's important to note that the O-Line does more than just pass block.

If they can't get any push in their run game and are generally disjointed, that will affect their passing game as well.

This absolutely will have a big impact on the game.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

The defense did great overall but pressure had to be manufactured.  I did not mean to say the they had a bad game overall.   There have been games that pressure from the front 4 is not there.  That is what you need against Burrow and Mahomes.  We are not playing Mike White and Skylar Thompson anymore.

Show me a team that has pressure from just the front 4 in every game? Newsflash there isn't one

Just now, Rigotz said:

I think it's important to note that the O-Line does more than just pass block.

If they can't get any push in their run game and are generally disjointed, that will affect their passing game as well.

This absolutely will have a big impact on the game.

Not to mention hurries and just pressure....sacks are nice but they only tell a small part of dline success...I'd take a hurried throw under pressure that results in an int over a sack any day

1 minute ago, Billever76 said:

Show me a team that has pressure from just the front 4 in every game? Newsflash there isn't one

Not to mention hurries and just pressure....sacks are nice but they only tell a small part of dline success...I'd take a hurried throw under pressure that results in an int over a sack any day

Thanks for the news flash can I catch you on WIVB?  Not having Miller is felt.  Jordan Phillips likely has a labrum injury and won’t be able to be what he could be if healthy.  I don’t think the bills d li lane sucks and I am not being a Nelly but I think pressure from the front 4 will be critical this week.  You probably cannot blitz burrow like you could Thompson.  

3 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Thanks for the news flash can I catch you on WIVB?  Not having Miller is felt.  Jordan Phillips likely has a labrum injury and won’t be able to be what he could be if healthy.  I don’t think the bills d li lane sucks and I am not being a Nelly but I think pressure from the front 4 will be critical this week.  You probably cannot blitz burrow like you could Thompson.  

Ravens blitzed him a ton...we can't play soft nickle though....we would have to disguise things and jam wrs off the line

Edited by Billever76

5 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

Or maybe 4/5.  Hard to keep track. 

Well, we'll see if my theory that injuries matter and "next man up" is largely garbage (ie: backups are way worse than starters in today's NFL, esp on the OLine).  

Although they went to the SB with a crap O Line last year, this wave of injuries is big and should make a difference in the game,  Hope Frazier has some stuff ready to go . 

We didn’t dominate the decimated Miami OL why you think this will be different 

5 hours ago, GolfandBills said:

I don’t see this as much of a negative for Cincinnati.  Our pass rush isn’t good at all. 

I love the generalization comments like this…🤣

We gonna get big 97 back this week?  He’s a monster when he’s in there.  Run stuff and soaking up guys up front 

1 hour ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Would love to see Big Ed bull rush from the edge a few times! Especially if they think they can run 

Please no.

First, Ed is actually quite small for a DT.  In fact, during one of DaQuan Jones' first observation on becoming a Bill he expressed he was surprised how small Ed was.  Not sure why anyone would put "Big" as a descriptor for Ed?  Explosive, sure.  Big, nope.

Second, he does not have the frame or length to do anything of impact from the Edge.  He actually does better bull rushing against a double team because he is fast and small so he can split the two OL.  If he bull rushed 1 : 1 he would get planted on his back all day.  This is Physics 101.

Ed is likely about 25 pounds lighter than the average DT and about 3 inches shorter than the typical Edge along with his arm length being below average. 

Again, I want Ed to do well but we need to set realistic expectations.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.