Halftime Adjustments a Myth! (Per Peyton Manning)

NoHuddleKelly12

That's so awesome. Love it. I think coaches are trying to adjust throughout the game, but they actually have a few minutes to sit down and think through things (separate from the players) and perhaps decide on a few things to try during halftime.

He’s right. Most adjustments are made while the game is in progress. Coaches and players aren’t on the sidelines pouring over all those still photos and replays on their tablets for nothing. I guarantee Manning made countless adjustments during his career, just not at halftime.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

With the amount of resources (people/money/technology) there is no way teams wait til halftime to make adjustments.  I am sure some happen at halftime but some happen at 9:31 of Q2 also and pretty much any time they can change the plan strategically.  What do you think is happening when guys have tablets and coaches have the position group together?  There is just as much ore more time between drives.

• Like (+1) 3

Josh in a interview with Kyle Brandt today was asked about what Manning said, Allen said it pretty much accurate, they only have about 6-7 minutes to regroup and depending on the stadium and where Dorsey has to come from they only get about 2 min to go over what’s working offensively and what’s hurting them. And then its like ok let’s go out and execute this better. That’s about it, no magic half time adjustment, where they are drawing up plays on a whiteboard. I thought it was pretty interesting. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, 0017 said:

Josh in a interview with Kyle Brandt today was asked about what Manning said, Allen said it pretty much accurate, they only have about 6-7 minutes to regroup and depending on the stadium and where Dorsey has to come from they only get about 2 min to go over what’s working offensively and what’s hurting them. And then its like ok let’s go out and execute this better. That’s about it, no magic half time adjustment, where they are drawing up plays on a whiteboard. I thought it was pretty interesting. 

All this realism is disappointing. I liked the notion that if my team was sucking, there was a chance the magic half-time genie would work some magic.

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Fyi, the Bills visitor locker room only has 1 toilet stall and a couple of urinals. Halftime is 15 min. Enjoy Bengals!

Actually, halftime was reduced to 12 minutes a few years ago, making it unlikely to be able to do much of anything.

It could’ve been an interesting segment to show on Hard Knocks in season.  I only recall one segment this season where they were already in the locker room and Kingsbury was barking that they needed to get back out there.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Lol, I've spent very little time here.  

Let me make this clearer.  Halftime adjustments are 100% factual, real, and take place in all levels of football within the coaching staff.  

I don't even know why you are arguing that fact.  I mean coaches literally refer to this on a regular basis of needing to make some adjustments in the 2nd half when being interviewed before the half, or after the game of having had made adjustments in the 2nd half.  

Thread title says halftime adjustments are a myth.  No they are not.  That is the point, and ask any coach.  It may be a Myth that players make some sort of adjustment, but I don't think any reasonable fan or person ever one time thought it was the players themselves making some sort of magical adjustment individually.  

It has always been understood to mean coaches make adjustments, not players. 

The thread is quoting a player who said it's a myth that coaches and players get together at halftime and make adjustments---many in its public likely assume this was a real thing (that's why he was asked--read the link).  Another posted link quoted a HC who said the same thing.

You blundered into attacking Manning for something he didn't say and now you keep trying to change the topic to make your point (which no one is refuting anyway).  I get it.  You painted yourself into this corner--unforced error.

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The thread is quoting a player who said it's a myth that coaches and players get together at halftime and make adjustments---many in its public likely assume this was a real thing (that's why he was asked--read the link).  Another posted link quoted a HC who said the same thing.

You blundered into attacking Manning for something he didn't say and now you keep trying to change the topic to make your point (which no one is refuting anyway).  I get it.  You painted yourself into this corner--unforced error.

Lol...or you twisted my comments to be something they werent when I was directly addressing the topic of this thread.  Theres that too.  

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

Actually, halftime was reduced to 12 minutes a few years ago, making it unlikely to be able to do much of anything.

It could’ve been an interesting segment to show on Hard Knocks in season.  I only recall one segment this season where they were already in the locker room and Kingsbury was barking that they needed to get back out there.

Thanks for that info, didn't realize that---I thought cuz I was older it just took me longer to pee & restock the coolers. I remember back in the day, they used to talk about Joe Gibbs making great half time adjustments.

Peyton's biggest weakness as a player actually imo was he didnt fare well with adjustments.  I think he may very well have been the most detail oriented QB in the history of the league so as to avoid dealing with adjustments.  I thought I recall a story the dude had like a good amount of his home set up to study game film.

Case in point that one superbowl against the Seahawks in New Jersey.  The first play of the game was a safety against the Broncos.  And after that that day he was shot.  Forget it.  It was over at that point and he couldn't adjust.  

So I totally respect the dudes accomplishments but this sounds like a case he's projecting 

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Lol...or you twisted my comments to be something they werent when I was directly addressing the topic of this thread.  Theres that too.  

nothing to twist.  maybe you should start a thread that discusses what you are discussing.  Something like:

"Coaches make halftime adjustments in every single game somewhere other than the locker room, amongst themselves, in the few minutes they have together after the OC comes down from his booth and drives his golf cart in to the home team's tunnel"

That would give you the traction you are seeking, I bet.

Just now, Another Fan said:

Peyton's biggest weakness as a player actually imo was he didnt fare well with adjustments.  I think he may very well have been the most detail oriented QB in the history of the league so as to avoid dealing with adjustments.  I thought I recall a story the dude had like a good amount of his home set up to study game film.

Case in point that one superbowl against the Seahawks in New Jersey.  The first play of the game was a safety against the Broncos.  And after that that day he was shot.  Forget it.  It was over at that point and he couldn't adjust.  

So I totally respect the dudes accomplishments but this sounds like a case he's projecting 

his career died that day, I remember...

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection said:

The Bengals come out of the locker room after HT of the AFC CG and started rushing only three and dropping eight. That wasn't a HT adjustment?

why would they wait until halftime to do that?

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

nothing to twist.  maybe you should start a thread that discusses what you are discussing.  Something like:

"Coaches make halftime adjustments in every single game somewhere other than the locker room, amongst themselves, in the few minutes they have together after the OC comes down from his booth and drives his golf cart in to the home team's tunnel"

That would give you the traction you are seeking, I bet.

his career died that day, I remember...

why would they wait until halftime to do that?

I don't know, but they did. But that game was weird. If the Chiefs score a TD at the end of the first half, the Chiefs probably go to the Super Bowl and Tyreek Hill is still a member of the Chiefs. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.