Beef on Weck in Orlando

\GoBillsInDallas/

10 year ago, or so, I had a beef on weck in an Orlando area restaurant. Unfortunately,  I don't remember the name of the restaurant. I was SO excited to get a BoW down here. It was terrible--but salvageable, if the cook knew anything about Buffalo area BoWs. The beef was cold and there was no au jus of any sort inside the sandwich, or on the side. It was a cold roast beef sandwich on an OK weck roll. A little TLC in the kitchen and it would have been tolerable. 

The article is behind a paywall, BTW

3 minutes ago, The Dean said:

10 year ago, or so, I had a beef on weck in an Orlando area restaurant. Unfortunately,  I don't remember the name of the restaurant. I was SO excited to get a BoW down here. It was terrible--but salvageable, if the cook knew anything about Buffalo area BoWs. The beef was cold and there was no au jus of any sort inside the sandwich, or on the side. It was a cold roast beef sandwich on an OK weck roll. A little TLC in the kitchen and it would have been tolerable. 

Most people don't know what real BoW is. Even people who claim to know... 😆 

Oh boy! Now you did it! It was terrible because you ordered a "French Dip" with a salted kaiser roll. 

Real original BoW calls for gravy not au jus! 😉 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Oh boy! Now you did it! It was terrible because you ordered a "French Dip" with a salted kaiser roll. 

I can tolerate a gravy BoW, but even you know that is BS.  Who made the "original BoW"?

17 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

You are absolutely incorrect, but very funny!  😂 

au jus guy here. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I can tolerate a gravy BoW, but even you know that is BS.  Who made the "original BoW"?

Light gravy... It's not BS.

Schwabl's and Bailo's (Bailey & Lovejoy) both uses/used "gravy"...

http://blog.buffalostories.com/torn-down-tuesday-bailos-famed-for-beef-on-weck-and-an-urban-legend/

"The well-done beef, usually topped with gravy and horseradish at Bailo’s, poured off of the full-sized kimmelweck roll."

https://www.schwabls.com/menu/

"Hand Carved Roast Beef

robust 1/2lb. serving of our in-house roasted beef, hand-carved to your liking. served on your choice of kümmelweck, bread with gravy or without."

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

au jus guy here. 

Wrong! BoW is not a bougie sammich. It's a stick to your ribs, filling working man's sandwich from the origin.

NOT sure how it got gentrified with a French dip.   

I am here to defend the honor of the sandwich against its bastardization and gentrification! 😆 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Light gravy...

Schwabl's and Bailo's (Bailey & Lovejoy) both uses/used "gravy"...

http://blog.buffalostories.com/torn-down-tuesday-bailos-famed-for-beef-on-weck-and-an-urban-legend/

"The well-done beef, usually topped with gravy and horseradish at Bailo’s, poured off of the full-sized kimmelweck roll."

https://www.schwabls.com/menu/

"Hand Carved Roast Beef

robust 1/2lb. serving of our in-house roasted beef, hand-carved to your liking. served on your choice of kümmelweck, bread with gravy or without."

If you are talking Schwabl’s “gravy” I’ll say that’s one of the First World’s lightest gravy’s. And delicious!!! Don’t miss the German Potato salad, warm with bacon and vinegar…… forgive me….I’m having a moment. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

If you are talking Schwabl’s “gravy” I’ll say that’s one of the First World’s lightest gravy’s. And delicious!!! Don’t miss the German Potato salad, warm with bacon and vinegar…… forgive me….I’m having a moment. 

Still gravy and not straight up drippings!

Wiechec's is still in biz in Kaisertown... Off of Clinton. They are another original BoW place... Was there just a few weeks ago:

s_96ee3beb-5dc6-4bf7-9d10-918dd4ee3fa0.j

Look @ the upper left corner of current menu.

They also serve a French dip! 

19 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Still gravy and not straight up drippings!

Wiechec's is still in biz in Kaisertown... Off of Clinton. They are another original BoW place... Was there just a few weeks ago:

s_96ee3beb-5dc6-4bf7-9d10-918dd4ee3fa0.j

Look @ the upper left corner of current menu.

They also serve a French dip! 

This made me laugh! Talking about original, I was maybe just out of college living in Hilton Head Island. There was a pub owner in South Beach where I spent a lot of time. Run the dogs at the beach, lets them dry and the sand shake out while drinking beer. Helluva a plan and life, I must say! 

Anyway, I mentioned chicken wings to my pub buddy, and he had never heard of them. This is maybe 1981-83, and these people had never heard of chicken wings! We went to the grocery store, I did my best and we probably made the first wings in HHI, and maybe the state! 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Augie said:

This made me laugh! Talking about original, I was maybe just out of college living in Hilton Head Island. There was a pub owner in South Beach where I spent a lot of time. Run the dogs at the beach, lets them dry and the sand shake out while drinking beer. Helluva a plan and life, I must say! 

Anyway, I mentioned chicken wings to my pub buddy, and he had never heard of them. This is maybe 1981-83, and these people had never heard of chicken wings! We went to the grocery store, I did my best and we probably made the first wings in HHI, and maybe the state! 

Well you figure... 1981 was just under 20 years removed since they were invented at the "Anchor Bar."

Put it into perspective... That's like asking someone now what was invented in say 2003. AND without the internet and social media!

Poutine is kinda like that, is big up in Canada, and for what it's worth..  Certain parts of Chicago of all places... Remember,  Chicago is historically a French settled town, local places here on NorthSide since 1950s/60s... Look how that is taking off all over the US. Ask most people outside the North and they still don't know what poutine is. 

...Just my $0.01... 😏 

5 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Well you figure... 1981 was just under 20 years removed since they were invented at the "Anchor Bar."

Put it into perspective... That's like asking someone now what was invented in say 2003. AND without the internet and social media!

Poutine is kinda like that, is big up in Canada, and for what it's worth..  Certain parts of Chicago of all places... Remember,  Chicago is historically a French settled town, local places here on NorthSide since 1950s/60s... Look how that is taking off all over the US. Ask most people outside the North and they still don't know what poutine is. 

...Just my $0.01... 😏 

Interestingly, I was just talking with some friends this afternoon about the unexpected French origin of Chicago. I think awareness is actually rising!  😂 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

50 minutes ago, Augie said:

au jus guy here. 

I do what a Buffalonian is supposed to do, just dump a bottle of Frank's on it...I put that ***** on everything:death:

• Haha (+1) 1

I was doing some consulting in Indy recently and stopped at The District Tap on Meridian St and, to my surprise, they had ‘Beef on Weck’ on the menu. Ordered it but it was a hokey Kimmilweck roll. First and only time I tried it. It’s under ‘Sammies & Wraps’ on the menu: https://www.thedistricttap.com/menu/food/

1 minute ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

I do what a Buffalonian is supposed to do, just dump a bottle of Frank's on it...I put that ***** on everything:death:

When I was first married to my Lebanese wife her very ill father had been in chemo for years. I won’t name all the ethnic food, but when he put Texas Pete on kibbeh I saw it as fair game! My wife gave me a very brief “that’s only because he can’t taste anything” look. I gave her the “I’d like to taste something” look. We’ll be married 38 years next month. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Augie said:

Interestingly, I was just talking with some friends this afternoon about the unexpected French origin of Chicago. I think awareness is actually rising!  😂 

How quickly we Americanize.  This was French fur trading country here and onion fields... 😉 

Actually Chicago was founded by a person of African decent: Jean Baptiste Point du Sable...

black+history+african+history+National-B

So gravy is out of the question here! 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Went to college in the late 1980's and had chicken wings for the first time.  Back home during one of the breaks, saw the local sub shop had chicken wings on their menu, so I ordered. What I received, was two full size chicken drumsticks, deep fried and sauced.  Nice attempt, but definitely not what I would expect. 

• Haha (+1) 2

I think making them at home works fine.  (I don't have any choice locally)  I'm sure I'll be razzed but...  Kaiser rolls coated with a light corn starch slurry to hold the sea salt and caraway.  Usually use thin sliced high quality deli beef simmered in weak beef bullion juice.  Done well it tastes better than most other pretenders I've tried at restaurants and is cheaper.  and you can use as much juice or horseradish as you like.

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

I think making them at home works fine.  (I don't have any choice locally)  I'm sure I'll be razzed but...  Kaiser rolls coated with a light corn starch slurry to hold the sea salt and caraway.  Usually use thin sliced high quality deli beef simmered in weak beef bullion juice.  Done well it tastes better than most other pretenders I've tried at restaurants and is cheaper.  and you can use as much juice or horseradish as you like.

When I worked in Polish deli... We would always cook the top round rare... Easier to slice, thin... AND more importantly... Will finish cooking in the GRAVY. A slow cooker/CrockPot (deli we had the chafing pans in the hot case) works well. Lightly soak both insides of the Roll before building the sandwich. Kinda like an Italian beef sandwich in Chicago.  Build to taste: Dipped, Wet, or Dry...

Oh... Whenever anybody ordered a pound of sliced top round (estimate: 1/4 pound per person) they received a free pint of GRAVY!

😉

In the biz, and original BoW... Gravy always goes farther than au jus. That's the practical element that was built into the original recipe for the sandwich.  Heating the beef in the gravy finishes it off to where you like it.  That's the original recipe. 

Oh... And don't forget the horseradish!

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.