The 15 point swing that turned a blowout into a nailbiter

Billsfan1972

17 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Please explain?  We've acknowledged the Waddell drop.  What other ones? A couple of 6-8 yarders?

Yeah, they had quite a few. Not sure if any were in scoring range but I just assume they killed some drives.

maybe cost them 10 points. If we assume the big waddle one would’ve led to seven.

I get it I'm just pointing out one playthat originally was a perception and even after the replay still could have been called that.

And it goes back to my continual concern about the Bills making that catch when they have to.   It was a perfect pass and an easy reception, that Shakir dropped.  

And it wasn't a 7 point play it was potentially 15.

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Yeah.  Whatever.  Allen should've thrown for 400 yards and 4 TD's if Knox and Shakir don't drop the ball.  Would've been a comfortable win.  Maybe all this criticism this week is a good thing going into the Divisional.

That’s how I’m looking at it…we really gain nothing from blowing out the dolphins there 

37 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

That drop, Knox's drop and Allen's fumble are minimum a 14 point swing. But those things happen in a football game. Heck, Miami probably dropped 10-14 points worth of passes. 

It’s a catch that Knox definitely should make, but I don’t think Knox should get all the blame on that. He was open and if Josh had put it just a little further out in front we aren’t discussing the drop 

5 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

It’s a catch that Knox definitely should make, but I don’t think Knox should get all the blame on that. He was open and if Josh had put it just a little further out in front we aren’t discussing the drop 

It was a toss up on Knox’s TD drop because he had no business catching that TD pass earlier. That was amazing for a guy who has a history of dropping a lot of balls. 

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Josh never should have thrown it.   Brown was covered.  There were two check down guys, one was Singletary, forget the other, who were wide open for 5 to 10 yard gain.   Was 1st and 10 mid-field.  6 minutes left in the half.  17 - 3. 

I love JA but get frustrated with his thinking that the Bills need a big play when they don’t.  Could have just pass ed it underneath and keep moving or even give it to Cook again.   So weird. 

No Issue with taking a deep shot on 1st down with a lead. It was one on one and Brown was not “ covered”. He either lost the ball in the sun or it was a miscommunication. 17-3 at midfield I’m going for the Kill shot on first down. I’ve seen enough Jauron ball to last an eternity. The Bills have Josh Allen - of course they pass the ball. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yes we know Huntley on the 4th and goal vs. The Bengals, but the play seldom discussed as the game changer was Shakir bobbling the perfect pass from Allen at the 2 minute mark in the second quarter.

Catch that and first and 10 at the 15, clock running up 17-6.  A td there, doubt Miami scores and minimum 20-6 or 24-6 at half.

Sliding doors moment, where next thing you know it was 17-17.

Boy it would be nice of our receivers brought a few more catches in.  Yes Knox and Davis had nice catches, but as I keep saying that's the exception not the norm.

Yeah… to Shakir’s credit he did make a crucial 31 yard catch on 3rd and 10 that could have been picked otherwise.  

But yes, he makes the catch and the Bills score a TD to make it 24-6 and I think it’s a different game but…we got the win.  

3 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Yeah… to Shakir’s credit he did make a crucial 31 yard catch on 3rd and 10 that could have been picked otherwise.  

But yes, he makes the catch and the Bills score a TD to make it 24-6 and I think it’s a different game but…we got the win.  

See above it was a good catch that pros make, but didn't lead to points or amount to anything because there was a penalty on the play that would have given the bills the first down.

I would certainly traded that 54 yard catch which changed the entire complexion of the game.😜

4 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

People do realize that the Knox “drop” in the end zone was a degree 9 difficulty?

The ball is a whisker above the turf there.

Gabe caught an extremely low pass earlier in the game. 

Yes it was not an easy catch and not sure why it was overturned. But again these are those catches the Bills don't have enough of.

Edited by Billsfan1972

My entire outlook changed when Bass whiffed that kickoff out of bounds.

That’s an entirely unforced error that gave the Dolphins the ball at the 40 and they got some points off it.

The Shakir drop was horrible, but a kick out of bounds when all you need to do is fire it through the EZ was brutal.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

No Issue with taking a deep shot on 1st down with a lead. It was one on one and Brown was not “ covered”. He either lost the ball in the sun or it was a miscommunication. 17-3 at midfield I’m going for the Kill shot on first down. I’ve seen enough Jauron ball to last an eternity. The Bills have Josh Allen - of course they pass the ball. 

I just don’t see why you risk it.  Sure it could have worked out but it was nearly the beginning of the end of the 2022/23 Buffalo Bills campaign. 

Nothing wrong with getting a little conservative and using up clock from time to time.   It cost us the Vikings game.  Great plays become the enemy of smart plays.

I would like to see more methodical offensive drives especially in the playoffs.  Keep that banged up defense off the field. 

I just don’t understand why the Ravens would get to the 2, and not just run in 4-straight times and pound the ball into the end zone. 

At worst it’s 20-17.

But I’ll never understand teams who can’t score not protecting their scoring chance with those kind of plays calls in those moments.

You drive the length of the field, you have to get points. 

1 hour ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

And Brown needs, at the very least, to knock down Josh's first int. Anyone know why he broke towards the sideline when Josh threw it? Then he ran past the defender when he caught it and failed to tackle him. That allowed a 50 yard return.

Beats me. Bills have a problem at WR that’s why Brown and Beas are here at this point. It’s a little bit of desperation. While the talking heads want to put it all on Allen, the Bills know they have an issue.  If they worked in Shakir earlier they might have less of an issue. Sadly it looks like they let a solid WR slip between their fingers because they never got a good look of him on Sundays.  

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, BananaB said:

Beats me. Bills have a problem at WR that’s why Brown and Beas are here at this point. It’s a little bit of desperation. While the talking heads want to put it all on Allen, the Bills know they have an issue.  If they worked in Shakir earlier they might have less of an issue. Sadly it looks like they let a solid WR slip between their fingers because they never got a good look of him on Sundays.  

I agree, but McDermott has been like that with rookie RBs and WRs since he's came here. He'll play rookies right away everywhere else(including QB), but not those 2 positions.

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yes we know Huntley on the 4th and goal vs. The Bengals, but the play seldom discussed as the game changer was Shakir bobbling the perfect pass from Allen at the 2 minute mark in the second quarter.

Catch that and first and 10 at the 15, clock running up 17-6.  A td there, doubt Miami scores and minimum 20-6 or 24-6 at half.

Sliding doors moment, where next thing you know it was 17-17.

Boy it would be nice of our receivers brought a few more catches in.  Yes Knox and Davis had nice catches, but as I keep saying that's the exception not the norm.

To me, the drop by Knox in the end zone prior to Shakir’s drop was bigger. Would’ve made it 21-0 instead of 17-0. Mentally, that’s big. 

1 hour ago, bobobonators said:

To me, the drop by Knox in the end zone prior to Shakir’s drop was bigger. Would’ve made it 21-0 instead of 17-0. Mentally, that’s big. 

Not technically a drop and only 4 points.  Shakir's was a drop as it was a perfect pass (much like Gabe Davis last week vs. NE in the endzone) and cost them upwards of 15.

Edited by Billsfan1972

3 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

This game reminded me a lot of the Minnesota game.  There were legitimately a dozen plays you could point to in both games where if the Bills made the play offensively or defensively, you could mark in your notebook "game over" (nod to Greg Easterbrook).  Minnesota game was much worse but this was similar - the Knox almost touchdown, the Shakir almost catch, etc. etc.  It was maddening.  

Most NFL games are decided by less than 7 points so it's possible in nearly every game to point to a handful of plays which would have changed the outcome.

As far as the Shakir drop, I believe like the Waddle drop and the John Brown misplay that the sun had something to do with it.

• Disagree 1

3 hours ago, motorj said:

Making those plays Shakir dropped early is the difference of a Pats vs Bills playoff game from last year vs the one yesterday.

What about the shanked Kick off that gave great field position or the ensuing punt return that again gave great position for the Dolphins.   There were many mistakes made in that span of time that allowed the Dolphins to tie the game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.