Rules question: Illegal block to the back

simpleman

Sorry if someone else mentioned this in the thread but there was also a significant uncalled blind side block on Milano in yesterday's game. You know the kind that caused us to lose the game against the Texans 3 years ago. Milano looked like he got hit pretty hard, enough to give himself a shake when he got up. I'm all for the officials letting them play but at least have some consistency. The contacting the kicker call on the Cinci punter in the 4th Q was an absolute joke. The Kicker totally faked it. Then the Cinci kicker tried to do it again on the next punt. Gesicki yesterday was also faking. Is there no penalty for this kind of dbaggery? Unsportsmanlike conduct?

1 hour ago, Livinginthepast said:

Sorry if someone else mentioned this in the thread but there was also a significant uncalled blind side block on Milano in yesterday's game. You know the kind that caused us to lose the game against the Texans 3 years ago. Milano looked like he got hit pretty hard, enough to give himself a shake when he got up. I'm all for the officials letting them play but at least have some consistency. The contacting the kicker call on the Cinci punter in the 4th Q was an absolute joke. The Kicker totally faked it. Then the Cinci kicker tried to do it again on the next punt. Gesicki yesterday was also faking. Is there no penalty for this kind of dbaggery? Unsportsmanlike conduct?

Dbaggery should absolutely be a penalty and bad acting fits the infraction.

I'd include faking an injury to give your team a breather, bad acting, flagged for Db.

7 hours ago, GolfandBills said:

The officiating in the playoffs league wide  has been spotty at best 

You ain't kidding.  Can't believe how many plays had to be redone because so many late whistles in the Bills game, whether timeout or penalties.  Don't get me started on why they continue to maintain the 0 seconds on the clock no delay of game.  Refs are getting worse

8 hours ago, simpleman said:

I just saw the highlights of the Cinci playoff game. On the winning fumble recovery, there was an obvious block to the back to a player that had caught up with the runner before he crossed the goal line. Why would that not be a penalty, it occurred before the touchdown was scored. I am beginning to get more and more confused about legal and illegal actions in the NFL. Thank You in advance for the explanation.

it was not a block in the back.  They collided and he fell. There was not a block in the back.  You are allowed to fight for position when running and block from the side.  

7 hours ago, TC in St. Louis said:

Andrews was gonna catch up and tackle the guy.  The block from behind took him out of the play.  Should've been a penalty.  The Bengals would've had the ball in good field position and had to earn the victory by scoring something.  

Anybody remember when Darrick Holmes fumbled against the 49ers on Sunday Night Football?  At the goal line, and returned 99 yards to turn the game around.  

This is the play I thought of first. I couldn’t believe it was 27 years ago because I can still see it like it was yesterday.  Gary Plummer hit Holmes and Lee Woodall returned it. 

10 hours ago, bigduke6 said:

after watching all the games this weekend i can only suspect the NFL told the refs to keep the flags in their pockets unless it was something so blatantly obvious and egregious that they had to call it.   doesnt explain the block on Andrews,  but it sure explains alot of the other stuff i saw uncalled.

imo the Phins could have had at least 7 more delay of game penalties that werent called.  

Totally agree. The unfortunate thing about that is it gives the advantage to the defense. What more, it allows for the less talented team to even the playing field of the better team because they can essentially push the boundaries of the rules. 

I don’t really see it benefiting us too much since we don’t play man. But for a team like the dolphins playing cover 0 last weekend it was immensely helpful. Numerous holds not called on defense and a block in the back by Tyreek on Edmunds on that 4th and 8

10 hours ago, simpleman said:

I just saw the highlights of the Cinci playoff game. On the winning fumble recovery, there was an obvious block to the back to a player that had caught up with the runner before he crossed the goal line. Why would that not be a penalty, it occurred before the touchdown was scored. I am beginning to get more and more confused about legal and illegal actions in the NFL. Thank You in advance for the explanation.

I have not seen an official explanation but I assume it is because the officials could not be sure it was in the back and not on his side. They seemed much more reluctant to make calls unless they were sure this weekend, which is generally what I prefer actually.

22 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

has it stopped blocks in the back?

how many players have missed games because they got blown up in the back?

Yes, it largely has. The ones that happen now are largely accidental and not high speed. You don't see people getting crushed from behind because people know not to do it. Imagine a punt return where blocking from behind is legal. The tackler has to break down to try to make the tackle and you have a guy who has a 50 yard head start able to unload into the middle of his back who is stopping or who has essentially stopped. The whiplash injuries would be immediate and severe.

18 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

I was getting flashbacks to Jarvis Landry on Aaron Williams. 

2 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Yes, it largely has. The ones that happen now are largely accidental and not high speed. You don't see people getting crushed from behind because people know not to do it. Imagine a punt return where blocking from behind is legal. The tackler has to break down to try to make the tackle and you have a guy who has a 50 yard head start able to unload into the middle of his back who is stopping or who has essentially stopped. The whiplash injuries would be immediate and severe.

the tackler is the guy with the full head of steam "gunning" for the returner.  as he blows past the blocker, the blocker typically only has time to push him in the back.  This shouldn't be a penalty. 

19 hours ago, djp14150 said:

it was not a block in the back.  They collided and he fell. There was not a block in the back.  You are allowed to fight for position when running and block from the side.  

They “collided”???  Pass whatever you’re smoking over here. He CLEARLY puts his hand in the upper middle of Andrews’ back and extends his left arm and pushes Andrew’s to the ground.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

They “collided”???  Pass whatever you’re smoking over here. He CLEARLY puts his hand in the upper middle of Andrews’ back and extends his left arm and pushes Andrew’s to the ground.  

there feet entangle causing the trip

thrydont call that on pass plays. They aren’t calling that thrn.  His push was more of a stumble and he braced against him.  First contact was in the feet with both running.

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, djp14150 said:

there feet entangle causing the trip

thrydont call that on pass plays. They aren’t calling that thrn.  His push was more of a stumble and he braced against him.  First contact was in the feet with both running.

Stop.  Just stop.  He CLEARLY pushed him in the back and extended his arm.  It’s plain as day.  

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Stop.  Just stop.  He CLEARLY pushed him in the back and extended his arm.  It’s plain as day.  

It’s not when I trial contact was made. Their feet also made contact. Thry colidaded and made contact on the side.

read the actual rule book.

Edited by djp14150

26 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

It’s not when I trial contact was made. Their feet also made contact. Thry colidaded and made contact on the side.

Maybe I need glasses or a bigger phone.  I don’t see their feet make contact before the block.  If it is, it can’t be more than a millisecond prior.  

On 1/16/2023 at 8:50 AM, simpleman said:

That was a penalty.  The refs were keeping their laundry in their pockets a lot.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

Their feet did not make contact.  Andrews was pushed from behind

Capture.thumb.JPG.2a2fc83ab68ff2badd05803e8c3f4910.JPG

You can see the Bengals player and Andrews feet are not entangled, he reaches out and gives him a shove.  Then he raises his arms like "what, lil ol me, I didn't shove him in the back"

OK, you want to read the actual rule book.  Here ya go; which part of the rule book do you believe makes this not a foul?

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2022-nfl-rulebook/#article-3.-illegal-block-by-offensive-player

• Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.