NFL greed and when will you turn it off?

Back2Buff

7 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

The amount of commercials and the length of commercial breaks is so ridiculous at this point, it has killed the game.  An NFL game should never be 4 hours.  You are talking about 1 hour of clock time, and maybe 11 mins of actual game play.

The NFL knows there will be breaks for injuries and reviews, they should not be taking 5 mins commercials after a 1 min drive.  Over and over again, 1 min will come off the clock, and after a punt, there is 5 mins of commercials.

I rarely watch prime time NFL games because I hate all the stoppages.  On Sundays they have red zone and you pretty much avoid this nonsense.

It has become a chore to watch the Bills play exclusively, and at some point, it's just too boring to continue.

At least you have players making over 40 million a year.  Props to the NFL for continuing to increase the cash flow, while selling a worse product.

First off why then didn't the other games also take 4 hours?  Think there were just stoppages, challenges, etc.

The NFL doesn't dictate the commercials, the television network decides that.  Likely in the TV contract it states how many minutes of commercials per game.  Could the NFL have said no, sure but the networks need the revenue to pay for the rights. 

I guess the NFL should have told the networks, not don't pay us that much we want less.  I'm sure the players would have supported that and gladly taken less in salaries too.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

yeah, kinda...

anyway, where you live, do they force you to watch all of the commercials?  even if you don't want to watch them at all?

It kind of breeds bad habits if you have to pick up your phone every couple of minutes because there’s a break in the thing you’re watching on TV. But to answer your question, no, no one is forcing me to watch commercials. Quite the opposite. We have laws that regulate the number of minutes per hour there can be commercials and how often you can have those breaks. Unfortunately I watch the same broadcasts you do, but online. 

34 minutes ago, Freak-O said:

It kind of breeds bad habits if you have to pick up your phone every couple of minutes because there’s a break in the thing you’re watching on TV. But to answer your question, no, no one is forcing me to watch commercials. Quite the opposite. We have laws that regulate the number of minutes per hour there can be commercials and how often you can have those breaks. Unfortunately I watch the same broadcasts you do, but online. 

i wasn’t aware of laws limiting commercials.  

I don't like all the commercials, but I'm 'kinda' ok with how the NFL runs business.  If you have people willing to pay for your product, charge them what they are willing to pay.  If they will still watch your product while you can take in more money from commercials, then do that.  One one hand it is greed, but on the other hand, why would you turn away money/commercials/merchandise sales a a higher price if your fanbase is willing?

With that said, It is PERSONALLY for ME a good part of the reson I watch less and less sports.  NFL? I watch less than I used to. Baseball and the NBA? I watched a LOT of both growing up and I watch basically zero now (used to watch 100+ baseball games per year, now I haven't watched a full game, start-to-end, in probably 6 or 7 years. Nascar? I used to watch most races but now I watch maybe 5-7 per year. The NHL I somehow watch and follow MORE than I used to, even with the Sabres being so bad for so long, and I don't quite know why....

So it may be true that the ticket prices, number of commercials, monetization of everything is driving some people away from the game. It sort of is with me. But not totally. HOWEVER, it seems for every 'dollar' the lose by me following/watching less, they are gaining a 'dollar' or '2 or 3 or more' with new fans.  So, I can't fault them for that.  In the end it is entertainment. We can choose to walk away when it becomes 'too much' about the money in our eyes, but at the same time others will not have that opinion.  I don't fault anyone for falling on either side of the argument.

NFL may be greedy but at the very least gives me joy.   How am I going to turn that off and still put gas in my car, go grocery shopping, buy clothes....may as well just become Amish if I am going to sit around and worry about greed all the time. 

People dont start businesses to lose money, and life is expensive.   Sad facts of life.

Edited by thenorthremembers

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.