1st down measurements…

LabattBlue

I noticed it last year, more this year, and at the end of the game yesterday…their seems to be a change from bringing out the sticks for a measurement to “1st down(just give it to them)”.  I don’t even see them eyeball it much. Not sure if this is an effort to speed up the game, but the chains definitely don’t come out as much as they used to. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Agree 5

22 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I noticed it last year, more this year, and at the end of the game yesterday…their seems to be a change from bringing out the sticks for a measurement to “1st down(just give it to them)”.  I don’t even see them eyeball it much. Not sure if this is an effort to speed up the game, but the chains definitely don’t come out as much as they used to. 

It is an interesting change for sure.

On a related note, is it too much to ask that the yellow line be accurate?  Miami fans got their panties twisted yesterday because the line was at least half a yard past the actual line to gain.  Feels like I’ve seen this happen more and more lately. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, BRH said:

On a related note, is it too much to ask that the yellow line be accurate?  Miami fans got their panties twisted yesterday because the line was at least half a yard past the actual line to gain.  Feels like I’ve seen this happen more and more lately. 

Agreed. Or at least notice when the line is not in the right spot. Romo was 2 minutes into his screed about how he thought Singletary was short of the line before he finally noticed the extremely obvious fact that the yellow line was not in the right spot.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Wraith said:

Agreed. Or at least notice when the line is not in the right spot. Romo was 2 minutes into his screed about how he thought Singletary was short of the line before he finally noticed the extremely obvious fact that the yellow line was not in the right spot.

I noticed it right away and so did most people.  You could just imagine the producers yelling into his ear trying to get his attention.  

15 minutes ago, BRH said:

The TV broadcasters keep mentioning that the Yellow Line on TV is NOT the official Down marker line.  The only thing that is correct is the Chain and Down Marker.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

You’all realize that the yellow line isn’t really on the field and the players can’t see it….right? Please say yes! 

I just wish they bring back the glowing puck in the NHL- when it goes into the corners sometimes I lose it and that think would show through the walls.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

You’all realize that the yellow line isn’t really on the field and the players cent see it….right? Please say yes! 

The issue is the line obviously affects the perception of the play by the announcers and viewers. On the last play, Nance and Romo became locked in on where Singletary ended up relative to the yellow line. Once Romo finally realized the line wasn't in the right spot, which was very late in the discussion, he finally acknowledged there was no way the call was going to be overturned because he was right at the actual marker and you couldn't see the ball in the replays. But the damage was done as far as the perception goes for a large number of viewers who are now claiming the Bills were gifted that last call.

Just now, Orlando Tim said:

I just wish they bring back the glowing puck in the NHL- when it goes into the corners sometimes I lose it and that think would show through the walls.

Ha! Forgot about that era. I like it when the yellow line gets all over the players themselves because the color they’re wearing matches the ‘green screen’ the technology uses to blank out the background. Good times! 

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

The issue is the line obviously affects the perception of the play by the announcers and viewers. On the last play, Nance and Romo became locked in on where Singletary ended up relative to the yellow line. Once Romo finally realized the line wasn't in the right spot, which was very late in the discussion, he finally acknowledged there was no way the call was going to be overturned because he was right at the actual marker and you couldn't see the ball in the replays. But the damage was done as far as the perception goes for a large number of viewers who are now claiming the Bills were gifted that last call.

Then the problem isn’t with the technology…it’s with Romo. Let’s just fix him. It’ll be way easier! 😉

8 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

You’all realize that the yellow line isn’t really on the field and the players can’t see it….right? Please say yes! 

It must be there; I keep see it tackling James Cook

• Haha (+1) 6

27 minutes ago, ganesh said:

The TV broadcasters keep mentioning that the Yellow Line on TV is NOT the official Down marker line.  The only thing that is correct is the Chain and Down Marker.

Exactly, you’d think people would be smart enough to realize that fact, but I guess it’s too much to ask.

22 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

You all realize that Romo can see it on his monitor... right?

The USFL used a chipped ball to eliminate the sticks, and it worked great. Expect the NFL to adopt that eventually. They always wait for other leagues to try stuff first. There's a long list of rule changes and technical upgrades the NFL "borrowed" from other leagues.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.