Josh Allen Bashers, what's your solution?

ChicagoRic

If Allen plays against Cincy like he did last Sunday, we win the game.

I'm still not sure the Brown pick wasn't on him - but the one off Beasley was not for sure, and the fumble was an almost impossible play.  When a defender breaks through unblocked like that, there isn't much he can do. 

He needs better blocking, and receivers to hang onto the ball.  But he's playing at a high level.  Playoff Josh is a real thing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 5

6 hours ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

He can still protect the ball and STILL make plays. He didn't cough it up the previous 2 years like this.

Pass protection looks considerably worse this year. That’s lead to some strip sacks. Some of the INTs have been bad luck, not quite like the bad decision funk he was in mid season. He can protect it better, but it’s never been great in his best years. His style means living with a few more turnovers. 

On 1/17/2023 at 4:10 PM, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Exactly

Allen escapes sack by breaking tackles, rolls right and hits Knox for long TD - “Allen’s a beast, only a handful of QBs in history can do that.”

Allen attempts to escape sack and fumbles - “When will Allen learn to eat it and give up on the play.  We need to seriously question if Allen is a franchise QB,”

or

Allen hits Diggs for a 52 yd bomb - “hell yeah, what a throw”

Allen misses Diggs on a 52 yd bomb - “What are you doing dammit, Singletary was open underneath for 5 yd gain; you need to channel your inner Tyrod Taylor.”

The Cover 1 guys (who I love by the way) did a full-breakdown of Josh Allen's aggressive nature, and how the Bills gameplan was to attack downfield against the Dolphins.  They felt all the criticism of Allen was overblown, because if he was taking all the check-downs, then we also miss out on the numerous big throws he nailed throughout the game.

Although I agree with them to an extent... I really think some people are missing the point.

Nobody is asking Allen to stop being aggressive and become a check-down machine.  They are not asking for Ken Dorsey to become a conservative offensive coordinator.  They are only asking for a little bit more balance, and be willing to take safer throws when the risk outweighs the reward.  Sometimes the gameplan needs to be altered depending on the score and clock.  It's called situational football.

Personally, I was great with Allen attacking downfield for almost the entire game.  The only time I got frustrated was with 10-11 minutes left in the 4th Quarter.  The defense (which had held strong the rest of the game), had just let up their first long TD drive.  The Dolphins had just narrowed the score to only 3 points.  This was a moment that I felt called for a long/sustained drive, which could give our defense a moment to rest and bleed the clock.  Instead, we got two deep shots to Gabe Davis and a sack.  Less than a minute off the clock and minus 3 yards.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, extrahammer said:

🍻🍻🍻

Much as I dislike Rodgers these days, I am actually pretty impressed he singled Allen out and in particular the throw to Davis which was just excellent and made to look easy. Allen routinely makes these jaw dropping throws which very very few QBs even attempt. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2023/1/20/23563615/josh-allen-buffalo-bills-offense

Ringer breakdown of where Allen needs to get a little better.

Really good analysis. The prescription: just dial down the aggressiveness a little bit. The only thing I'd add (to be fair, hinted at in the article when they say Allen is playing every game like it's the Chiefs playoff shootout last year): be more aware of the game situation. Miami with Skylar Thompson at QB would've been hard pressed to score even 17 points without Bills offensive mistakes. You don't always need to go for the kill shot downfield when you can slowly starve your opponent to death.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 1

Josh is just fine, with one caveat, there are times when he should take the open check down / short pass, outside of that I’m cool with the guy, 

GO BILLS!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.