Josh Allen Bashers, what's your solution?

ChicagoRic

11 hours ago, HappyDays said:

The Dolphins defensive gameplan dictated that we throw the ball deep a lot. The problem is three deep throws bounced off the hands of Davis, Diggs, and Shakir, and on another one John Brown stopped running his route and it got picked. That's too many missed opportunities. We honestly should have scored like 50 points in this game and that's only because of Allen's arm talent.

Yes, it was a dangerous gamble that almost paid off for the dolphins. Everyone thinking it was just josh playing hero ball all game doesn't get that the fins sacrificed the deep ball (though there was a few times the check down was there). Fins blitzed heavily, and gave the bills wrs outside leverage for the deep ball all game. The fins knew if they could force deep routes, force the rbs to stay and protect, and see if josh can hit the deep shot with pressure in his face. If the bills recievers caught those balls this game got out of hand quick for the fins, but drops in pivotal moments continues to kill the bills momentum.

• Agree 4

12 hours ago, ChicagoRic said:

Welp, I've been reading up on the board, and it looks like Allen had another TERRIBLE GAME, with the Bills winning DESPITE HIM for the 8th game in a row. 

3 Fumbles!  2 INTS!  Completions under 60%!  This guy is a liability. 

BAD JOSH!  I'm tired of HERO BALL.  The ARM ARROGANCE.  352 Yards with long shots to Diggs, Davis and Shakir just don't make up for it. Neither does the perfectly placed TD pass to Knox.  Or the timely run to pick up a key 1st down.  This guy does not deserve a roster spot, let alone a game ball. 

It's time to get Keenum and Barkley ready to go for next week, because they RESPECT BALL SECURITY.

Go Bills!

Dont be so sensitive. There are high expectations when you are the best. Josh said it himself he was not happy with his play. We have moved well past the that was a great effort everyone gets an award era. Josh knows he needs to get better to Beat KC or CIN. And I wont say all but 99.9% of people on here that say Josh had a bad game are not saying get rid of him. 

1 hour ago, Blah Blah said:

Go back to the film of the Rams game. Quick passes for the most part, under 3 seconds. Mix in the running game that's developed over the year and there's the formula. 

I'd like to see more no-huddle offense too. Quicken the pace.

I worry about manchild Josh. Time after time he steps back and chucks it middle or long, like back in the old neighborhood. They need to shorten his game and put him on a bit of a leash. Allen seems like he's calling his own shots and over and over, there's no variety. Not impressed with Dorsey. There's a reason he's not on the sideline like other OC's. I'd get a new OC next year. 

I am with you here. Need to pick up the pace on offense. Go no huddle, take the quick shots, mix in run and play action. When we catch them sneaking up you go deep. Way too many slow developing routes. Way too much bunch formation. Way too predictable. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I don’t think it has to be Josh is a gunslinger and you just have to accept his reckless style.  I think his mindset and the mindset of the coaches should be, tone it down, and take better care of the ball.  Not every pass has to be gunslinger Josh. 

Josh plays that same game at any point for the rest of the playoffs, and there is a very good chance the Bills lose. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Chaos said:

How does he do it? Josh Allen's offense put up 34 points yesterday with three turnovers (call it 27 if you want to deduct 7 for not eating the fumble). Joe Burrows no interception team put up 17 points yesterday.  34 points should be sufficient to win most NFL games.  17 points is not.  

During the course of the season Burrows, Allen and Mahomes were all among league leaders in interceptions.  Why are these teams not cellar dwellers? 

The 1970's caveman mind set the is pervasive on this board seems to believe that a time consuming drive where they other team takes possession of the ball at their own 20 after a punt is a great offensive outcome, but a pick off in the endzone brought out to the 20 is an epic disaster.  In fact, these are identical outcomes.   Understanding that, is how you learn that a QB putting up 34 points with two interceptions had a good game (not great, but good).  

True. The issue I’ve seen this year is Josh is making really good heroic plays for TDs but had to do that because he put us behind the 8 ball earlier in the game. He’s cleaning up his own mess. Maybe if he played cleaner earlier, we wouldn’t have to keep sweating 4th quarters. 

The Bills offensive approach is high risk, high reward.  And suddenly Allen seems to have lost the ability to pick the right spots to take the risky play.  I hate to use the word "problem" because even with all the turnovers and execution miscues, they still managed to put up 34 points.  I'm speculating here because I don't personally know either person, but to me the concern is the impact Dorsey is having on Josh.  Not just from a play calling standpoint but from an emotional and mental view in game preparation and play.  Dorsey by all observations is an emotional person.  Do you want your OC to be more jacked-up emotionally than your QB?  I think the difference between last year's Josh and this year's Josh is Daboll was an anchor keeping Josh level and focused while Dosey is a balloon lifting him off to a point where emotion takes over thinking.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Like (+1) 3

I don’t consider it bashing. I believe we just see areas of his game that have occasionally gotten sloppy and if corrected, nobody will stand a chance against the offense. 
Josh admits it in every post-game press conference. How many times has he said there are mistakes they need to learn from. 
Don’t confuse our hope for continued improvement in his play as ‘bashing’. 

12 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

He needs to fix the mistakes and not press. The deep pick and the handoff to Cook that josh should have kept were big mistakes. Tbh, he needs to relearn how to take checkdowns. It ok to take 5 yards a pop. That will open up the intermediate and deep game and negate the blitz

Daboll was 100% the calming influence that encouraged Josh the value of the checkdown (years 3 & 4), to go with the occassional bomb. Now sugar Josh & Dorsey are all in on fly route city.  Never saw Brady, Montana or Manning rely on this strategy. It's super fun and exciting to watch but in order to win a SB and minimize turnovers,  it's not sustainable. 

5 hours ago, mjt328 said:

There needs to be balance to Josh Allen's play.  

It's possible for him to be extremely aggressive attacking downfield... but also have an element of patience and willingness to take some of the underneath stuff when it's left open.   It's possible for him to move around and escape defenders in the pocket... but also know when it's time to accept the play is dead, protect the ball and take the sack.  It doesn't necessarily have to be an "either/or" situation.

Right now, Allen's career trajectory is moving very similar to Brett Favre.

Favre had a big arm, with a gunslinger mentality.  Every Packer game was filled with highlights of incredible throws and jaw-dropping plays.  He was easily a Top 3 quarterback in the NFL for the majority of his career, and one of the game's premier faces.  The media adored him, and opponents feared him.  By his retirement, he had loaded up the stat books as the all-time touchdown leader.  First ballot Hall of Famer all the way.  

But from a TEAM perspective, the Packers were huge underachievers during Favre's career.  Over his 16 seasons in Green Bay, they won the division 7 times and made the playoffs 11 times.  Despite constantly being favorites to win the Lombardi, the team always seemed to get stuck in the playoffs... mostly because of Favre's erratic decision making and turnovers.  He particularly had trouble getting past the Dallas Cowboys (like us and the Chiefs).  Nobody can question Favre's toughness or greatness.  But the fact his team only made it to one Super Bowl (barely winning it), is definitely a huge disappointment.

The Farve comparison is good, but JA is a better QB IMO and the Bills have a pretty good organization around him.

We have to see how it all plays out in the end.

2 hours ago, Sestak4ever said:

I'll take Josh over any other qb in this league and will ride with him, win or lose, until he decides to call it a career. He has brought more joy and hope to this franchise than anyone I can remember, and I go back to the Jack Kemp, Lou Saban teams. He also is as important to the WNY community off the field. He is our general and would not want anyone leading us in battle. Go Bills!!🏈🍻

Daboll had Josh a bit on a leash and Dorsey is letting Josh be himself this year.  We will soon see if it works, and I wouldn't bet

against him.  Plenty of time to change the schemes in years to come.

15 minutes ago, jethro_tull said:

I blame some of the playcalling that puts the O in must-pass situations too often.  

Is it the play calling? A lot of times they run the ball on 1st down and loose yardage.

13 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Daboll had Josh a bit on a leash and Dorsey is letting Josh be himself this year.  We will soon see if it works, and I wouldn't bet

against him.  Plenty of time to change the schemes in years to come.

I would say we already know the answer and that at a minimum it's worked out just as well and probably better.  Even if we lose on Sunday the Bills will have gone 14 - 4 and losing in the divisional round.  Last year they went 13 - 7 losing in the divisional round.  And all the offensive metrics are pretty much the same between the two seasons.

• Vomit 1

5 hours ago, ChasBB said:

I would give it about one half of football with Josh throwing checkdowns for this fan base to give Allen the moniker of "Captain Checkdown".  Can't win.

It's like these people want Allen to do what Cousins did yesterday.  With the game on the line in the playoffs and on 4th and 8 he threw a 5 yard pass.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I would say we already know the answer and that at a minimum it's worked out just as well and probably better.  Even if we lose on Sunday the Bills will have gone 14 - 4 and losing in the divisional round.  Last year they went 13 - 7 losing in the divisional round.  And all the offensive metrics are pretty much the same between the two seasons.

Yes.  It has put some added pressure on the D but even with a depleted secondary for most of the season they have come through so far.

Yesterday put pressure on the OL too having to hold on while Josh found his receiver but that's just the tradeoff you have to accept.

It's not exactly what I wanted to see this year and being up in age I'm more conservative in my life than I used to be, but Josh is entering

his prime and I am more than willing to see what he can really do.

This is on Dorsey more than Allen. He needs to hold him back. You are up 17-0 don't press more, play the run and take what the defense gives you. I was expecting more long sustained drives not hero balls all the time. I found myself screaming at the TV to run the ball multiple times but they passed instead.

There is something true about running until it works. Some times it takes a while to get a good run and you have to fail a couple of times but once it works it makes the other team tired and it takes a load of your QB shoulders.

JA played great yesterday.  I might put the long pass INT on him, though Romo was saying it was more on Brown.  The Beasley pass is one we've seen completed many times - that wasn't on JA.  Bease also got interfered w/ there.

On the fumble, that was just tough all the way around.  JA had the quick outlet w/ the RB on the left, but there was no way he could even get into a throwing motion  - the defender was on him almost immediately.  He has to protect the ball, but pass protection cannot break down that quickly.

Otherwise, he made all of the usual JA plays that win us games.  No QB in the league I'd rather have.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, toto8 said:

This is on Dorsey more than Allen. He needs to hold him back. You are up 17-0 don't press more, play the run and take what the defense gives you. I was expecting more long sustained drives not hero balls all the time. I found myself screaming at the TV to run the ball multiple times but they passed instead.

There is something true about running until it works. Some times it takes a while to get a good run and you have to fail a couple of times but once it works it makes the other team tired and it takes a load of your QB shoulders.

Not going to happen.  As someone posted today in one of the threads .........................................

image.png.557e380b421ca658b1e7cb126ded4911.png

there was zero reason to launch the ball 50 yards on low percentage tosses when blitzed or when Josh is running around on a broken play.   every play should have short, medium, and long concepts.    i dont know if it was Josh and his inner hero ball coming out again,  but it sucked.    Josh could have run much more than he did yesterday,  but for some reason was launching bombs all over the place.    i felt like i was back to the bad old days of watching Tyrod just chuck it up and pray.

there has to be better options. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.