We're on to Cincinnati(Bengals coming to OP). Sunday 1/22 at 3pm. Opening Line Bills -5

Big Turk

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

No Poyer 😬

I don't think there's any reason to worry whatsoever.

He just did that podcast last night talking about this potentially being his last game in front of Bills Mafia. 

Unless he sustained some injury between that podcast and today's practice, I can't imagine that his day off was anything other than a Vet Rest day.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Caesar said:

I can tell you we know the Bengals oline this week without a doubt.  

LT Carmen, considered a 2nd round bust from last year's draft.  Couldnt win a spot on a terrible line last year and has practiced the last 2 seasons at guard.  Good run blocker, has good length but not good pass block mechanics.
LG Volson, 4th round rookie - has good reps and bad ones, improved throughout the season.
C Karras, 2nd best lineman next to Cappa, been solid but not overwhelming.
RG, Scharping, another former 2nd rounder we picked up off waivers from the Texans this season. Very big guy, not a good run blocker, ok pass blocker.
RT Adeniji, started at guard last season, was terrible. He is better at tackle but LT is his spot.  Big guy that has been better this season in back up roles, still not confident. 

The only potential change would be Carmen being beaten out by another sub or practice squad tackle that started for us last year.

I liked your point "attacked the QB not the line", very interesting. I have no doubts the Bills defense last week will in no way resemble what we will see.

Mixon is beyond a terrible pass blocker, Perine is a good pass blocker.  You guys do not need a spy.

Jamming Tee or Boyd might work, Chase is a beast at the LOS, not sure I would jam him.

The Bills can definitely win at the line on defense but I think you are severely under rating our defense.

We are very solid with Hill and Reader in the middle and Hendrickson and Hubbard on the ends.  Solid vs the run and we get good pressure, but cant get the sack to save our lives. Very frustrating.  We have had excellent LB play as have the Bills.

Josh could go for 500 and 4 TDs vs anyone but we have one of the best passing defenses as to completion percentage, even with 2 questionable cornerbacks.  We do have good safeties that help a lot.

That might kill you against Allen who is an escape artist even against teams that are good at getting sacks most games. Especially if you allow him to escape to his right and extend the play...

What typically happens is a guy just breaks off his route and goes deep and then the DB kinda slows up and watches Allen because he thinks "there is no way he can be running and still throw the ball over my head from that far" and that if he throws it he can get the INT on a ball that comes up short.  But as we have seen many many times...oh yes...yes he can throw it over your head that far. He has unlimited range throwing the ball downfield. If a guy gets behind the defender, he can throw it to him from anywhere on the field.

Then if you defend deep, he takes off and outruns your LB's and stiffarms/trucks your DBs. Or in some cases just leaps over them. The best bet is to try and contain him in the pocket and force him to make "regular" plays rather than off-schedule ones because that is where he can hurt you the most.

Edited by Big Turk

20 minutes ago, NewEra said:

All the smart money is on Buffalo.  Just saying 

I apologize because I know you've explained this before, but I believe this is literally your lane - what does "smart money" mean literally?

I know you're not using this as an idiom

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

That might kill you against Allen who is an escape artist even against teams that are good at getting sacks most games. Especially if you allow him to escape to his right and extend the play...

What typically happens is a guy just breaks off his route and goes deep and then the DB kinda slows up and watches Allen because he thinks "there is no way he can be running and still throw the ball over my head from that far" and that if he throws it he can get the INT on a short throw.  But as we have seen many many times...oh yes...yes he can throw it over your head that far. He has unlimited range throwing the ball downfield. If a guy gets behind the defender, he can throw it to him from anywhere on the field.

Like this one

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Like this one

Yup...and the one that didn't count to Diggs from the first Pats game(holding penalty on Brown) comes to mind...along with the one to Diggs against Ramsey from the first game of the year versus the Rams.

Edited by Big Turk

1 hour ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Bills sign Greg Mancz back to the practice squad, in case anyone cares :)

Practice Squad Injured Reserve.  That's a new one for me.  Is that a special category to hide someone late in the year?

2 minutes ago, wjag said:

Practice Squad Injured Reserve.  That's a new one for me.  Is that a special category to hide someone late in the year?

No, they have it...I've seen it a few times this year, not sure if it was the Bills or not.

47 minutes ago, Caesar said:

I ask because Burrow does much better with pressure from the outside, as he likes to step up into the pocket and has good feel to avoid outside pressure.  Anything up the gut is usually a sack.  Joe rarely throws the ball away and hardly ever takes risks in losing the ball, he is 2 hands on the ball at all times, and is fine with being sacked.  He will take to the very last second to get the ball out with outside rushers coming.

This off season, the Bills almost completely reworked the interior of their DL.  Those moves don't get as much press as the signing of Von Miller, but they're quietly important.  We parted from long time (and overpaid for ROI) 1TDT Star Lotulelei (Lotulazy to some); we moved on from undersized 1TDT Harrison Phillips, and from 3TDT Vernon Butler (who had two teams to confirm he underperformed his 1st round status).  We signed DaQuan Jones and Tim Settle from Washington and re-signed 3TDT Jordan Phillips to pair with 1st round 3TDT Ed Oliver.

Von Miller has said he can't do his work without great pressure up the middle, and we gave it to him.  Their sack totals are modest (2 each I think) but Jones and Oliver have double-digit QB Hits.

Aside from the loss of Von Miller for the last 7 weeks (which is huge, of course) the big loss is a stupid injury to Jordan Phillips.  Anyone else playing for him is a big downgrade in the pass game, but a mixed bag in run D (Phillips can be great, or he can leave his gap)

McDermott and Frazier also love their A gap blitzes.  They don't blitz a lot though.   We have like a 19% blitz%, they believe in pressure from the DL.

Allen will fight like a swordfish against being sacked, with similar results

10 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

No, they have it...I've seen it a few times this year, not sure if it was the Bills or not.

The Bills used it for Xavier Rhodes and also Eli Ankou.

Edited by Beck Water

I do not care about betting or what ex pros say about this game.  All I want to see is mistake free football Sunday.  No turn overs.  No missed coverage.  No boneheaded penalties.  Bills lose by beating themselves.   Review the losses the past two seasons only the Colts game did the Bills get truly beaten.  Play smart and win. IMP the Bills will win and move on to the AFC Championship.  

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Caesar said:

I can tell you we know the Bengals oline this week without a doubt.  

LT Carmen, considered a 2nd round bust from last year's draft.  Couldnt win a spot on a terrible line last year and has practiced the last 2 seasons at guard.  Good run blocker, has good length but not good pass block mechanics.

FWIW, Brian Baldinger gave Carmen props in one of his breakdowns this week

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

We seem to have games where we get decent pressure and then games where it seems like we dont get any at all. Skylar had all day to throw last week. 

Ah....No on the Skylar all day thing.

Edited by Beck Water

2 minutes ago, pigpen65 said:

If the Bills lost Dawkins, Bates and Brown their starting Oline would be Quessenberry, Saffold, Morse, Boettger and Bobby Hart. Imagine having to play the Bengals with that? Dline should T the ***** off this week. No exceptions.

At the very least should be able to confuse their blocking assignments and get some free runners with the crowd noise and lack of continuity on the line.  A lot of issues caused by backups linemen isn't from getting beat by their man(which does happen a lot tho), it comes from not being on the same page with the guy next to you in terms of protection calls, changes in protection and blocking the right guy, etc...

Made much worse when you are on a silent snap count and cannot communicate with the guy next to you.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

At the very least should be able to confuse their blocking assignments and get some free runners with the crowd noise and lack of continuity on the line.  A lot of issues caused by backups linemen isn't from getting beat by their man(which does happen a lot tho), it comes from not being on the same page with the guy next to you in terms of protection calls, changes in protection and blocking the right guy, etc...

Made much worse when you are on a silent snap count and cannot communicate with the guy next to you.

That video sure does highlight illegal contact or holding by tre down the field 

7 minutes ago, balln said:

That video sure does highlight illegal contact or holding by tre down the field 

Wrong. QB is outside the pocket. There is no illegal contact.

Actually the smart play would have been to push him OOB so he ineligible to catch the ball unless a defender touches it first.

Of course I was at the one loss they had...

Also was at a few of the wins too tho.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I apologize because I know you've explained this before, but I believe this is literally your lane - what does "smart money" mean literally?

I know you're not using this as an idiom

The sharps.  The people who are considering “smart” in the betting world. In most cases, the people that are betting the big money.  As opposed to Johnny couch boy placing Cinci in 15 different $2 5 team parlays

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1