We're on to Cincinnati(Bengals coming to OP). Sunday 1/22 at 3pm. Opening Line Bills -5

Big Turk

11 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Listening to 1530 AM Cincy now:

1. They’re banking on Josh Allen turnovers (and the assumption that Burrow won’t have any). 

2. They summarize the Ravens game as just a great defense, and the Bills don’t have that level of defense. 

Bills should have all their “nobody is scared of them” weapons - McKenzie will be back, John Brown will be up, I think we’ll get Crowder back. 

We can't have them all active.  Diggs and Davis are locks.  Pick 3 more:

McKenzie

Shakir

Beasley

Brown

Crowder

Gonna be interesting to see how the coaches see them.

My bet would be we don't activate Crowder unless we lose someone (avert) to injury or possibly if the trainers decide McKenzie can't go

The thing is, speed and agility are 100% his thing, so does being 90% put him back to the realm of ordinary players?

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Success said:

I have heard almost endless comments at this point that the Bengals were well on their way to winning that last game before it stopped.

Huh?  Pretty much every game this past weekend had a team that started out hot, and then either ended up losing, or (in our case) almost lost.  Did people just start watching the NFL? That happens all the time in games.

Cincy's 1st drive was great, but it's not like the whole game was gonna look that way.  And our 1st drive wasn't all that bad.

The Bills defense usually plays very vanilla zone defense for the first 1-2 drives.  Once they get a feel for how the other team is attacking, they start adjusting slightly and finding ways to disguise their coverage/rush schemes.  That's when they start putting the clamps on.

I saw a stat that Buffalo is 22nd in points allowed in the 1st Quarter.

They are then ranked 5th in the 2nd Quarter, 3rd in the 3rd Quarter, 6th in the 4th Quarter... and 2nd overall in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

McKenzie

Shakir

Beasley

Brown

Crowder

My bet would be we don't activate Crowder unless we lose someone (avert) to injury or possibly if the trainers decide McKenzie can't go

The thing is, speed and agility are 100% his thing, so does being 90% put him back to the realm of ordinary players?

I don't know what I don't know about McKenzie. I think Beas, Shakir and McKenzie assuming he's close to 100%. If not, then Brown.

24 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

Yards are yards, and speed isn’t the only way to get them. A 5 yard run from someone who ran a 4.3 counts the same as a 5 yard run from some who ran a 4.6.

Indeed it does.  Let us please not neglect that Singletary contributed one of the most difficult, hard fought 7 yard runs I've seen from a Bill to gain the first down and let us close out the Dolphins game.  Then there is his role in pass protection, where he was a Boss.

In his presser today, the normally chary of praise McDermott said outright that he thought all of our backs played really well this week but then called out Devin in particular and said he was "really proud of him"

Just now, Pokebball said:

I don't know what I don't know about McKenzie. I think Beas, Shakir and McKenzie assuming he's close to 100%. If not, then Brown.

That's where I am.  I think opening Crowder's 21-day window is a win-win situation for both sides.  One, if there is an injury (avert!), he may be ready to step up and contribute.  Two,  Crowder is an UFA this off season; assuming he wants to continue his career, it's a signal to potential suitors in FA that the Bills thought he was healing well and likely to be able to contribute.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

McKenzie

Shakir

Beasley

Brown

Crowder

I think it's hard to throw someone into the mix that has had very little time with Allen built up in Crowder. Last you need is them not to be on the same page on a critical 3rd down.

26 minutes ago, Success said:

I have heard almost endless comments at this point that the Bengals were well on their way to winning that last game before it stopped.

Huh?  Pretty much every game this past weekend had a team that started out hot, and then either ended up losing, or (in our case) almost lost.  Did people just start watching the NFL? That happens all the time in games.

Cincy's 1st drive was great, but it's not like the whole game was gonna look that way.  And our 1st drive wasn't all that bad.

I swear with some of the comments on this board either people have their memories wiped so they only remember the last game played or they literally have terrible memories and misremember things from the past on a regular basis.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, H2o said:

A somewhat healthy Jordan Phillips would be a big boost to the interior of this line for getting pressure on Macaulay. 

I feel like his shoulder is not going to be fixed til the offseason - the way he was completely one-arming everything a couple weeks ago I think it is still going to severely limit him now - hopefully he can at least plug some things up 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, stevewin said:

I feel like his shoulder is not going to be fixed til the offseason - the way he was completely one-arming everything a couple weeks ago I think it is still going to severely limit him now - hopefully he can at least plug some things up 

He should just lay down and clog the middle.

1 hour ago, Success said:

And the bills got ball at start of 2nd half, gosh darnit all!

Edited by Nineforty

1 hour ago, gobills404 said:

The amount of times I’ve already heard “the Bills don’t have good run game outside of Josh Allen” is mind boggling. I’ve never seen so many media members come to such a strong consensus on something that is so blatantly wrong.

1. Cook and Singletary are both over 5 yards per carry during this 8 game win streak.

2. Even if it was true, so what? The Bills DO have Josh Allen and he IS a big boost to an already solid ground attack. 

They said we wouldn’t be able to run on cincy because of DJ Reader and we had 30+ rushing yards on our first drive lol.

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, gobills404 said:

The amount of times I’ve already heard “the Bills don’t have good run game outside of Josh Allen” is mind boggling. I’ve never seen so many media members come to such a strong consensus on something that is so blatantly wrong.

1. Cook and Singletary are both over 5 yards per carry during this 8 game win streak.

2. Even if it was true, so what? The Bills DO have Josh Allen and he IS a big boost to an already solid ground attack. 

To the opening part of your comment, I agree, I hear it all the time and I keep thinking IF that's true why are other teams being let off the hook for the same thing?

To the part about Devin and Cook, I agree. Not only are they averaging over 5 ypc over the last 8 games, combined they are averaging 5 ypc(4.98) on the season.

To the last part, I also agree. 6 out of the top 7 rushing teams this year got major help from the QB position. Atlanta had the least amount of rushing yards by their QBs out of those 6 teams, but it was still over 500 yards.

Going back to the first part again. The sentiment that we struggle to run the ball outside of Allen always bothers me because it's simply not true. It's not that we can't run effectively, it's we choose not to. I dug into the numbers and this is what I came up with for the remaining 8 teams.

Rushing YPG outside the QB position

1.) 49ers - 131.47 - 441 carries 

2.) Cowboys - 124.12 - 477 carries 

3.) Jaguars  - 106.8 - 386 carries 

4.) Eagles - 102.7 - 362 carries 

5.) Giants - 100.0 - 388 carries 

6 ) Chiefs  - 94.9 - 356 carries 

7.) Bills - 91.8 - 301 carries 

8.) Bengals - 79.44 - 321 carries 

Why do the Bengals get a pass on this? Imo ypc mean way more when determining if a team can run or not. Here's the ypc list, once again without QB rushing numbers.

YPC

1.)  49ers - 5.07

2.)  Bills - 4.88

3.)  Eagles - 4.82

4.)  Jaguars - 4.70

5.)  Chiefs - 4.53

6.)  Cowboys - 4.42

7.)  Giants - 4.37

8.)  Bengals - 3.96

Conclusion the Bengals suck at running the ball. GO BILLS!!

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Listening to 1530 AM Cincy now:

1. They’re banking on Josh Allen turnovers (and the assumption that Burrow won’t have any). 

2. They summarize the Ravens game as just a great defense, and the Bills don’t have that level of defense. 

Bills should have all their “nobody is scared of them” weapons - McKenzie will be back, John Brown will be up, I think we’ll get Crowder back. 

Bulletin board material for Josh Allen and Leslie Frazier

37 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

From prior to the cancelled game

Playaction is moot if the Bills don't try to run the ball 🤷

30 minutes ago, stevewin said:

That's where I am.   I don't think this is something that's gonna heal up quickly for Phillips

Milano was at one point "one arming" it with a partially torn pec.  He came back, but the Bills shut him down with IR (was 3 games at the time), then worked him back in with a "snap count"

On 1/15/2023 at 11:26 PM, arcane said:

Like many of you, I feel quite a bit more reassured that the Bengals aren't some super team to be afraid of. They are certainly good, certainly capable of beating the Bills or the Chiefs. But they aren't special. 

If we can get through this one, Jacksonville's defense is going to have a better chance of taking down KC than the Ravens would. 

If we can get the Bills except for the ones that played those 4 consecutive drives to sandwich halftime, we will win this game by two scores. If we get too much of those halftime bills, we will lose by two scores

1. It's all about match ups, plus rivals that you've played 2X already always adds to the challenge.

2. I don't believe the Jags D is significantly better if at all better than the Ravens.

3. I'd be beyond pleased if we won by 2 scores but I don't think it'll happen. This should be a tough win if we come out on top.

5 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Do we think buffalo will rush only 3?  I'm honestly asking. 

No, I don’t think I’ve ever seen that.  

there are times we drop a lineman, but usually when we bring pressure from elsewhere.

• Like (+1) 1