We're on to Cincinnati(Bengals coming to OP). Sunday 1/22 at 3pm. Opening Line Bills -5

Big Turk

1 minute ago, Airseven said:

Ravens were physical on both lines of scrimmage, ran the ball effectively, controlled clock, and were able to stack multiple stops defensively in the second half. They match up well with the Bengals to at least be competitive even without a QB. The fact that game was close does not reflect on how the Bills match up with the Bengals.

So you're saying the ravens offense even without there Qb1 is better then our offense with our Qb1 strictly from a matchup standpoint?

• Like (+1) 1

Cincinnati definitely has a good team but people are way overestimating who they are what they've done.  Also, it's kind of crazy that people are down on Josh.  It's absurd.  I'd like to make just a few points.

- Josh Allen's int's were not solely his fault.  The one to John Brown at the time of the interception seemed like a bonehead throw but it was clearly a miscommunication, John broke to the outside rather up the field and hence the int.   The other int. was a good defense play that led to a fortuitous bounce for the Dolphins.   Without doubt the fumble for TD was on Josh, but if he hadn't of had those dropped passes the game and those two int's that weren't his fault he would have had a juggernaut of a game.   He was actually very accurate on his passes and no one in the league compares to Josh at being able to push the ball down the field the way he does.   He is a UNICORN.

- The Bengals continuously seem to be playing one good half of football down the stretch.  This has been happening for quite some time now and doesn't seem to be rectifying.

- The Bengals were outplayed and outgained by the Ravens at home with Tyler Huntley and no receiving corps.   Huntley led them to over 360 yards and the Bengals didn't even reach 235 yards for the game.

- The reason why the Bills are favorites over the Bengals is because the Bills are a better team.   The Bills have Josh Allen and the oddsmakers believe Josh is the difference.  The Bengals have not been showing over the past few weeks that explosiveness and dominating the game in terms of outgaining their opponents, whereas the Bills consistently outgain who they play and they usually do it by a lot of yards. 

If the Bills can avoid what happened this week against the Dolphins with giving the opponent great field position throughout the game and not turn the ball over so much, the Bills should win every game they play from here on out.

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Nah. It will come down to not turning the ball over. 

Yep, this is by far the biggest key for the Bills.   Yes, getting pressure is important but turning it over is an even bigger one.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I haven’t seen a lot of Bengals games but they like to throw into the middle of the field then use that to open up go routes down the sidelines to Chase. Our LBs and Safeties will need to have a solid game, along with DL getting pressure. The Bengals changed their whole plan once the Ravens got sacks, and that stalled their O. With Elam and Tre playing better than even 3 weeks ago, I think we can minimize the huge plays.

Bengals OL and DBs are weaknesses I hope we plan to exploit. It doesn’t need to be a shootout if we take away their strengths and prey on their weaknesses. Let’s try dominating for a change (sarcasm).

1 minute ago, BillzFreak said:

So you're saying the ravens offense even without their Qb1 is better then our offense with our Qb1 strictly from a matchup standpoint?

As far as QB, the Bills are too player dependent on an inconsistent player.
Ravens have personnel, scheme, and physicality to overcome a lack of playmaking and keep that game close. Bengals aren’t ripe for defeat because the Ravens, in particular, beat them up.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

9 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I'm still bitter about the January 1989 AFC Championship loss at Cincinnati.  That one hurt.  Final was 21-10.  The Bills need to avenge that L.

My hatred of Collinsworth started that day.  He kicked Derrick Burrough's injured ankle, resulting in a retaliatory personal foul on Burroughs.  Bruce was called for one of the worst facemasks I've ever seen, wiping out a sack.

• Like (+1) 2

Hard to say I come away from the Dolphins game encourage by the passing weapons after all the drops/miscues, but...

-Diggs is Diggs

-Davis looks like "Playoff Gabe" is a thing

-Allen & Beasley finally looked to be getting their rhythm back

-Shakir, while the drop was really bad, is going to be very good 

Have to imagine those 4 are up moving forward and we'll see how things shake out with McKenzie and Brown, perhaps Crowder.

----

In regards to the OL.  The Bengals are a better overall defense than the Dolphins, but the Dolphins know us very well and are built specifically to rush the passer.  Talent-wise, Miami has a top tier DL. 

Bengals are built more like us... Solid to above average DL that typically don't collapse the pocket quickly with only 4, a top notch linebacker duo, stud slot corner and question mark secondary, led by a great Safety.

I do think home field matters here, and our Defense (while similar) has a slightly better DL and a secondary with more potential IF, big if, Tre White and Kaiir Elam build off their play from yesterday. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Airseven said:

As far as QB, the Bills are too player dependent on an inconsistent player.
Ravens have personnel, scheme, and physicality to overcome a lack of playmaking and keep that game close. Bengals aren’t ripe for defeat because the Ravens, in particular, beat them up.

So in you're opinion the Bills are ripe for defeat for having Josh Allen as there Qb? Or am I reading this wrong?

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I'm still bitter about the January 1989 AFC Championship loss at Cincinnati.  That one hurt.  Final was 21-10.  The Bills need to avenge that L.

Was so disappointed after that game. That was my first experience as a Bills fan seeing the team play in an AFC title game. That loss was so much worse than just losing a playoff game. The Bills and Bengals haven’t met in the playoffs since. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Nah. It will come down to not turning the ball over. 

Agree totally!! I just hope that Taiwan Jones isn't the cause of one on punt returns. IMO, he comes incredibly to close to Hines every time he catches the ball. Hopefully this is addressed in meetings this week

2 minutes ago, BillzFreak said:

So in you're opinion the Bills are ripe for defeat for having Josh Allen as there Qb? Or am I reading this wrong?

Right? The Bengals are not some perfect team and neither are the Bills. The Bills are favored in this game and that seems about right. The Bengals are somewhat mythicized now , and their QB hasn’t earned his stolen nickname of “ Joe Cool “ ( sorry that’s only for one Joe - Montana) This will probably be a close game and I believe the Bills will emerge victorious. The closest thing I see to a perfect team right now is the 49ers ; maybe just maybe the Bills will finally meet that franchise in the Super Bowl. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, buffalobillswin said:

Really hard to trust Allen right now. 

You know we'd be a bottom 10 team without him right? Sheesh, some of you guys are unreal. You're right, we should probably dust off Thad Lewis or Jeff Tuel. Maybe Tyrod, he never turned it over. How quickly we forget. Bills fans acting like a bunch of freaking babies. 

Allen is a top tier QB in the NFL and defenses are terrified of him. Is he perfect? Of course not, but we've got a shot to win it all with him and that's about all we can ask for. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I want to see Devin and Cook get more involved this weekend. As want to keep Hendrickson and Hubbard from pinning their ears back and rushing Allen. Running the ball can only help our offense. 

I hear ya. But IMO no chance. They are going to spread them out and Chuck it down the field. Allen will be able to get whatever he wants to his receivers, as they will keep it away from the Bengals dline and LBs  Will be like a 42-38 shoot out. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

My hatred of Collinsworth started that day.  He kicked Derrick Burrough's injured ankle, resulting in a retaliatory personal foul on Burroughs.  Bruce was called for one of the worst facemasks I've ever seen, wiping out a sack.

Yep. Bruce clearly had Esiasons jersey, not the face mask and Merlin Olsen pointed this out on the replay. It felt like the Bills never recovered from those penalties in a close defensive game. 

• Agree 1