1/15/2023 Wildcard Weekend - Dolphins @ Bills - Post Game Thread

BuffaloBill

1 minute ago, Yobogoya! said:

They did have some success today, but against a third stringer starting a playoff game on the road you would hope for SOME success. 

Dolphins pass rush was consistently relentless and overall much stronger than ours. If we had played to that level, it would be more in line with the expectations from the investments we’ve made in the d line, imo. 

That’s an attacking 3-4 defense. It’s basic design is to attack the LOS from a lot of different angles - and they have some really good pieces to get it done. 

But I go back to what I said earlier….defense simply wasn’t an issue today. They did their jobs and then some

44 minutes ago, Zag20 said:

Was there some fracas after the game with Spencer Brown and the Dolphin’s? Dude need to rein it in a bit. I’m surprised he wasn’t kicked out for pushing Wilkins face into the ground earlier. 

That SOB deserved it I’m sure, but when was that?

Our OL was definitely fired up, Morse going full-speed after Wilkins ripping his helmet off and carrying it off like a prize of war was NOT on my Bingo card

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I didn't like those plays either.  We were all screaming at the TV.  Not sure if that was Allen being stubborn or Dorsey losing it.  Maybe both.  But in 2 of the Bills 3 possessions during that time they erased a 24 - 20 deficit and got ahead 34 - 24.  And that was because Allen calmed down and started slicing and dicing the fish.

Josh made some fantastic plays today. Do we have to accept the mind-numbing plays because, when they come off, they look so brilliant and do us so much good? Is there any way we can have a fairer balance? In my mind, yes, because it felt like that's what we were doing pre-bye. I'm not sure why we abandoned it and not returning to it.

8 minutes ago, Tulsabillsfanz said:

This was a horrible game to watch, especially after we led 17-0. It was 4 hours of stress. It seemed everything was pointing to an upset loss for us: terribly timed timeouts by us, multiple uncalled Miami delay of game, then delay of game called when we stopped them, big pass plays overturned, etc.  We just couldn’t seem to catch a break all game, until that final first down call.    But, a win is all that counts in the playoffs! 

It was one heck of a nail biter game. It was often sloppy and poor execution by the Bills. That was the frustrating part. However, Miami's front gives Bills trouble. 

No style points needed in the playoffs. Like you said a win is what counts. I think the Bills will play much better next week. They will have to in order to win. Hopefully, they got their bad game out of the way. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Sure you can. Only problem was that this was Miami with Thompson at QB and we did not expect it.

If we beat Cincy like this everybody will be happy.

That's why I say - go Bengals tonight. Bring them on. No more underdogs like Jags.

I said in the pre-game thread, just before the game started, that I was nervous as it wouldn't be as easy as many expect. I think a couple of people rolled their eyes at me!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Best Williams Available said:

Why was this not open all day? When the camera showed behind LOS shots our WRs are running deep almost every time. Maddening.

That was the plan to beat this pressure defense. The Phins’ secondary is way below average inspite of having Holland and Howard. The other 2-3 pieces are well below average 

Dorsey wanted to take advantage of it by hitting them deep

Just now, CapeBreton said:

Why must the Bills always take their foot off the gas when they get a lead? I feel like they were trying to be greedy and just coast out a W. Miami wasn’t having any of that. 

The problem was the offense didn't take their foot off the gas. They kept trying to deep play after play. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, CapeBreton said:

Why must the Bills always take their foot off the gas when they get a lead? I feel like they were trying to be greedy and just coast out a W. Miami wasn’t having any of that. 

Because we can’t or won’t run the ball with our RB’s.  Josh rightly stops running the ball and taking hits when we get up by 3 scores. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I didn't like those plays either.  We were all screaming at the TV.  Not sure if that was Allen being stubborn or Dorsey losing it.  Maybe both.  But in 2 of the Bills 3 possessions during that time they erased a 24 - 20 deficit and got ahead 34 - 24.  And that was because Allen calmed down and started slicing and dicing the fish.

I am in the minority here. I liked the long passes vs their cover 0 coverage. You have to trust your QB to make that throw and the WR to make a play. Additionally, I want a more explosive quick striking offense. The real issue today was execution. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I didn’t think the pass rush was good at all without blitzing.

They were and they evidence is how poorly Thompson’s completion % was. He completed just 40% of his passes. A big part of that was the Dline moving home and forcing him out of his conventional reads. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.