Go Bills! It's a thing....

Freddie's Dead

43 minutes ago, krf139 said:

Lots of bandwagon jumpers because of the Hamlin thing. 

“ bandwagon jumpers” is a term to describe those jumping OFF the bandwagon…. Anyway, Josh Allen is likely the biggest reason for more casual fans liking the Bills in recent times. 

56 minutes ago, krf139 said:

Never heard of people jumping on a bandwagon because a player almost died on the field.

Not sure why you would classify people who are supporting Damar for what he went through as being on the bandwagon.

• Thank you (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I was in Disney World two years ago and someone saw my Bills hat when I was waiting  inline at the hot dog store on main street.

He said “Go Bills!”

I responded: “Hey ey ey ey”

And then a chorus of people (probably his family?) responded: “Hey ey ey ey”

He was probably 20 feet away so it was pretty funny watching the reactions of those inbetween us that didn’t know what was going on.

It was surreal. Wish I had it on film.

Was at Virginia Beach a few years ago in late August so it was pretty quiet, people were 50 yards apart. Some one down the beach starts the Bills chant…. I respond obviously. They walk over and they’re from Silver Creek and I was living in Dunkirk. Just such a small world sometimes 😃

• Like (+1) 2

I always wear a Bills hat when I'm out and about, particularly when I'm hiking, and I always get a Go Bills from another hiker somewhere along the way.  This was especially true when I lived in Salt Lake City (I hope the OP went to the Red Iguana restaurant -- every visitor to SLC should do it -- get one of the moles -- that's mol-ays).  The Wasatch Mountains are terrific for hiking once the snow melts in July.

I was wearing my Bills sweatshirt after hiking in Glacier National Park. Sitting with my wife at outside tables at a small restaurant in the small town of East Glacier MT, the couple at the next table saw my sweatshirt and we started talking.  They were from a town SE of Buffalo (Colden, I think) and were die-hard fans of the Bills.  AND it turns out that my uncle's construction business built their house!

The moral of the story is to wear Bills gear all the time.  You never know...

2 minutes ago, Michael1962 said:

I was walking in Longmont Colorado wearing a bill's cap and someone said "go bills", I think because JA is fun to watch when other fan bases team is out of the playoffs they become Bills fans.  Obviously this was before the Hamlin thing.

We drove through Chiefs country while moving last summer, and of course I had on my Bills hat.  A Chiefs fan nicely asked me about it.  I asked him about the impact the Tyreek Hill trade would have, and he said he was glad to be rid of Hill, saying the guy's a real jerk.  Interesting the things you find out from wearing Bills gear.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chicharito said:

I was just in westchester New York for work. I was sitting at a bar with my bills hat on and a guy says “awe man I love the bills been a fan since 92” then he couldn’t name one player outside of Allen. 😂

This sort of validates what krf139 said, no?

I wear Blls gear and have had encounters all over the country for quite some time now. In 2014 I remember kiking in Yellowstone after getting out of my rental and telling Bills fans in the woods We'd just taken the opener in Chicago. Have had many since then, even before things turned. Got in  discussion in Iceland last summer by a waterfall.  

I live downstate in Westchester. I usually have a hat or some other gear on. Amazing how many of "us" there are out there.

Edited by Olliemets
  • Like (+1) 1

Seems like a lot of Pats fans have adopted us as their "second team."

Honestly... I can't think of anything more embarrassing for that fan base than calling a division rival your "second team" ... kinda the same as tattooing "fair weather" on your forehead. 

2 hours ago, Success said:

we have the "tortured" thing that fans always root for (like the Cubs had)

Yeah my hope for decades was that thin-skinned and financially punitive(when losing) Bills fans would become like Cubs fans..........who rallied around the idea of being "Cubs fans" regardless of whoever their cheapskate,  not-committed-to-winning ownership group was.    

Cubs fans were disappointed in their crazy lack of success but had a great sense of humor about it.   In the 90's and early 2000's you could buy shirts outside Wrigley Field that made fun of their plight "What did Jesus say to the Cubs?  Don't do nothing til' I get back" etc..   

To me.......getting to the point where Bills fans identified as a fan base almost separate from the team itself was the only hope to preserve the franchise long term in Buffalo and our own lack of a sense of humor about our teams combination of losing/bad stewardship/small market/bad weather market limitations was a major impediment to that. 

As it turned out we got there thru frustration and anger and spite instead.  :lol:

Gullible fans desperate for national attention fell for false hope sold by clowns like Russ Brandon...........and then became enraged when the predictable failures continued.

But social media created the opportunity for bitter Bills fans to displace their rage and attack and threaten suddenly accessible media members who dared report the news that the Bills still sucked..........and from there the Adam Shefter tweet likening Bills fans to a mafia........and the moniker "Bills Mafia" created an identity.

As time passed and success began to replace the losing the passion that fueled hate turned into more positive endeavors for Bills Mafia and the thing has really grown into something to be proud of.

People naturally want to feel part of a community so bandwaggoners inevitably want to join such a clearly identified and passionate group.

And as a small market.........the more the merrier.    We need every fan we can get.  

Hopefully it's just the beginning.    

We ultimately need to get to the point where people identify with the Bills nationally like they do with other small market teams like the Packers and Steelers.    Nobody would ever think about moving those teams to Mexico City or London or some sh!t like that.   And it means something to play for those franchises.

An increased fan base and the money it creates will keep the team in Buffalo and we need all the national support we can get going forward.  

• Like (+1) 4

44 minutes ago, Utah John said:

I always wear a Bills hat when I'm out and about, particularly when I'm hiking, and I always get a Go Bills from another hiker somewhere along the way.  This was especially true when I lived in Salt Lake City (I hope the OP went to the Red Iguana restaurant -- every visitor to SLC should do it -- get one of the moles -- that's mol-ays).  

We hit the Red Iguana 2 across from the railroad tracks.  Got the Killer Nachos and the Puntas de Filete a la Norteña, drank a Corona with a lime.  Waitress did a 12 top of us, didn't write down a thing, and got all our orders correct.  It was awesome!

WNYers and Bills fans are a crowd that is NOT afraid to represent our Team by all sorts of ways. I have seen flags displayed on houses, license plate holders,

Hats galore here in SoCal. It seems like we all say GO BILLS and a smile commences between you that is very cool and ice breaking to say the least 🙂

• Like (+1) 2

Down here in SWFL, rarely a day goes by I wear my Bill's gear out and don't hear a "Go Bills!", my kids laugh every time it happens so often. Been that way for over 15 years...I see way more Bills things down here than any other team including Miami and Tampa.

Edited by BattlinBill
Spelling
  • Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, krf139 said:

I just experienced what the OP said. I was on an impromptu trip to Tampa to visit my dad in the hospital (he's fine). It was a whirlwind of a trip- 3 days total- and I wore my bills hat the whole time because I barely had time to comb my hair. Before I got to the plane omw out of Dulles, I got 5 "go Bills!" ...it continued, daily, for the entire trip. It's certainly a phenomena that's always existed (especially living in NoVA where there are TONS of WNY transplants), but it's DEFINITELY in overdrive after the Hamlin thing. It's nearly absurd at this point.

...but I'll say this- the public opinion of the Bills and their staff has swayed 100% in the positive direction since last Monday night. It's a testament to how incredibly well-prepared and in-tune this team is, not only with football, but with humans. We have an incredibly unique, and special team. It's not only a great time to be a Bills Fan, but an unusually fortunate situation in our lives to see this example of how a sports organization can affect humanity.

Edited by BringBackFlutie
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.